Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wont sit centered in the resistance trainer???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 06:44 PM
Blackeyes24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok I'm probably posting in the wrong place but I'm not really sure what I'm even asking so I had to guess, which forum to post in. I'm new to biking and mostly doing it to lose weight not because I'm an avid biker. Anyway,k I received a free resistance trainer, which I would like to start using. I live in FLorida and if I dont ride in the morning for whatever reason, it is too hot to ride in the evening. I thought the resistance trainer would give me a way to ride in the a/c some evenings. The problem is the bike sits too far to one side in the trainer and rubs against the side. It looks like the trainer could be adjusted to the right but I cannot get left side to rotate at all. Is there a longer bolt or some kind of rod I could attach to the left side of the bike so it would sit more centered in the trainer? I've attached some pictures so you can see what I mean. Bike is sitting all the way to the left causing it to rub agains the side of the trainer wheel. As I tighten the resistance it ceases to be able to move at all because it is rubbing on the side. It looks like I should be able to turn this to make it more centered but it wont move. and this side has to be extended almost all the way, leaving the bike way off center.
Old 07-28-11, 06:55 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It appears to me like the plastic cross-shaped handle on the left side can be turned clockwise (viewed from the bike's side) to draw the threaded rod and the cup that clamps the left side of rear axle further to the right and that should shift the bike to the right too. You will have to loosen the right side clamp to let it move over.
Old 07-30-11, 02:03 PM
Blackeyes24

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
It appears to me like the plastic cross-shaped handle on the left side can be turned clockwise (viewed from the bike's side) to draw the threaded rod and the cup that clamps the left side of rear axle further to the right and that should shift the bike to the right too. You will have to loosen the right side clamp to let it move over.
I agree it looks like it should turn but no matter how hard I try it will not move. I even tried some WD40 in hopes that would loosen things up but nothing works. I cant complain because it was free but I'm so disappointed that I cant make it work.
Old 07-30-11, 02:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
If you can't turn either of the left side parts to move the bike over, take a look at your wheel. You have a nutted axle. If there's enough sticking out on the left, add an extra axle nut on that side as a spacer, thereby moving the bike to the right. Then you can adjust the fit from the right side.

BTW- get rid of that aggressive mtn bike tire. The tread will pulse as the blocks and gaps pass the small roller. Buy a cheap slick or at least center-ridged tire for use on the trainer. While you're at it get one that's narrower and it'll improve the side clearance on the trainer.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-30-11, 02:31 PM
clydeosaur

Bikes: Cannondale Six5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR & old Hard Rock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see 2 problems here. 1. The trainer is not adjusted properly ( actually looks like somebody cranked the right adj. shaft all the way in past the threading. It might need some persuasion to get it backed out, like a tool on either end of it). 2. You are running a bike with a nutted rear axle on the trainer ? Could be an issue as well.
Old 07-30-11, 02:48 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Looking again, see if the plastic handle on the left will turn counterclockwise to loosen it, then unscrew the threaded rod it goes on to move it to the right, then tighten the plastic knob. Perhaps that knob only holds the left side adjusting bolt in place.