Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

CycleOps JetFluid Pro Trainer

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 12:05 PM
FieldEffect

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-JetFl.../dp/B0049AF5HA

LBS carries this model and I'm thinking of going with it. Is it a pretty good value for the money?
Old 11-10-11, 08:30 PM
coachloren

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a good trainer. Shop around. Retail for that trainer is $379. Google it in shopping. I saw it for as low as $291.
Old 11-15-11, 04:43 PM
sjvcycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewire
https://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-JetFl.../dp/B0049AF5HA

LBS carries this model and I'm thinking of going with it. Is it a pretty good value for the money?
Unless you like it for some other reason, this one is superior.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinetic-Kurt-M...1396913&sr=1-1

And yes, I own two of them.
Old 12-01-11, 10:57 PM
petulo

Bikes: Specialized road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought Cyclops JetFluid Pro and I'm very happy with it. It is very quiet, solidly built, and it has a great road feel. I considered buying KK Road machine, which is a great trainer, but I feel the JetFluid Pro is less noisy and it has better roal feel. Cyclops are built in the US, by a company which makes high end trainers and bicycle products. I read several posts about Cyclops leaking, but this problem was fixed by the company. The JetFluid Pro comes with a lifetime warranty, so I do not worry about the leaks. The trainer is a nice design, easy to set up, and very stable. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-08-11, 02:41 PM
sjvcycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought just the opposite about the road feel but that is where personal preference comes in. I think anyone wanting to buy any trainer or rollers needs to try them first. As far as noise goes, are you using a trainer tire or your road tires? Makes a difference for me.
Old 12-12-11, 04:31 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been very happy with mine. Couple thousand miles and no issues. That being said, if I were to do it over again, I would spend the coin on the Kurt Kinetics Rock and Roll trainer. It will work the core muscles and improve your balance on the bike.
Old 12-13-11, 02:47 PM
sjvcycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've recently started using rollers and its a much better working IMHO.
Old 12-14-11, 08:03 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sjvcycler
I've recently started using rollers and its a much better working IMHO.
Have both, am good at rollers, and I'm on the other side of the camp. Trainer >>> rollers.

The technique bit of rollers is totally, utterly over-rated. Does little for your real world handling skills. Yes, it's hard at first to ride rollers, but even after you master them, your handling skills in real world situation are pretty similar to before. That's because rollers teach you to go dead-straight, and that's it. No cornering at all, which is where the real handling skills matter. If you're so sloppy on the roads that you can't even hold a straight line (how friggin' hard is that, anyway?) then you won't even be able to ride the rollers at all and the answer there is not to ride the rollers (you won't be able to) but to ride outdoors until you can hold a line. (Then you can try to stay on the rollers.)

The biggest problem after you get on rollers is accidentally jerking off the front (not side) on hard pedaling. How often does that occur in real life? NEVER.

Yes, rollers smooth out your pedal stroke, but I can tell you after going from a super jerky pedal stroke (from being a runner) to smooth one that I can do onelegged on the rollers that it did NOTHING for me in terms of speed. Actually, I have to intentionally jerk my acceleration harder than ever now that I ride with competitive roadies where you often have to make a gap if you're out in front to drop the draftees behind you. Even when I'm riding smoothly with a group, I never ride as artificially stock-still as I do when I'm on the rollers.

Much better power consistency from a trainer, which is key to structured interval workouts. Use a speed-power conversion chart and your trainer is as good as a powermeter indoors.
Old 01-10-12, 08:09 PM
blueduckxx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes!! best thing ever, seriously invest in one.
I cannot ever imagine riding on rollers, I know I would fall off.