Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 01-09-19, 03:22 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I think, from USADA's point of view, Grove doesn't deserve to keep his records and titles (even though he was the only participant) because he did have at least one PED in his system during competition and that automatically disqualifies you. The severity of the punishment is determined by the intent to cheat (or lack thereof).

It's reasonable that Grove didn't intend to cheat for the reasons stated above.

For me, the big takeaways are:

- Don't mess with pre-made stacks from supplement stores/websites.
- How the hell do I not eat meat??
Old 01-10-19, 12:00 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think, from USADA's point of view, Grove doesn't deserve to keep his records and titles (even though he was the only participant) because he did have at least one PED in his system during competition and that automatically disqualifies you. The severity of the punishment is determined by the intent to cheat (or lack thereof).

It's reasonable that Grove didn't intend to cheat for the reasons stated above.

For me, the big takeaways are:

- Don't mess with pre-made stacks from supplement stores/websites.
- How the hell do I not eat meat??
Here are comments from USADA: https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/news/usada-ceo-90-year-olds-world-record-triggered-doping-test_482720?utm_source=VeloNews&utm_campaign=e1bc6c335a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_01_09_11_34&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7cbc7e57b1-e1bc6c335a-79498065&mc_cid=e1bc6c335a&mc_eid=b6273a20e9

Last edited by 700wheel; 01-11-19 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-11-19, 05:02 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, do you guys really think that it's reasonable for amateur athletes to be held to the same WADA testing standards as elites/pros? Should amateurs really have to worry about trace amounts of metabolites from some banned substance being in their food just to participate in their hobby? I can't help but wonder if the testing standards for amateurs shouldn't be relaxed a bit so that they can catch the blatant cheaters without testing for tiny trace amounts of every possible banned substance (many of which have questionable benefits at best).

I just find it a little absurd that this 90 year old is getting called a cheater or worse by people who didn't even bother to read the details of his case, just because he had liver for dinner the night before a race.
Old 01-11-19, 05:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by jsk
So, do you guys really think that it's reasonable for amateur athletes to be held to the same WADA testing standards as elites/pros? Should amateurs really have to worry about trace amounts of metabolites from some banned substance being in their food just to participate in their hobby? I can't help but wonder if the testing standards for amateurs shouldn't be relaxed a bit so that they can catch the blatant cheaters without testing for tiny trace amounts of every possible banned substance (many of which have questionable benefits at best).

I just find it a little absurd that this 90 year old is getting called a cheater or worse by people who didn't even bother to read the details of his case, just because he had liver for dinner the night before a race.
Depends on the league in which you race and the stakes at hand (pun intended). ATRA is a national track racing governing body that doesn’t drug test...they also don’t award World Records or National Championships.
Old 01-12-19, 12:51 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JuiceWillis
trenbelone has a half life of 2-3 days, he also popped for clomid which is used for anti-estrogen and post-cycle therapy. How do people still believe the "tainted food" or "tainted supplement" excuse? It stands to reason that he could have been micro-dosing tren, and did an injection prior to the 2nd test causing him to pop, which is why there were only trace amounts found on the second test and none on the first test. I mean hes 90 so who cares, but you don't pop for tren AND clomid because you ate something.
The trenbolone in meat is a very real thing. Cattle are fed Trenbolone pellets right up until they are shipped for slaughter. Sure trenbolone has a short half life, but that is an excretory half life, not a hlaf life due to chemical or elemental degradation. There is no withholding period for trenbolone acetate because of it's very short half life, unlike anitbiotics and other pharmaceuticals used in veternary treatment. So if a cattle is slaughtered that has been administered trenbolone before transport, it will have trenbolone and epitrenbolone within it's blood stream and muscles. Once slaughtered, these chemicals are "locked in" as the animal is no longer metabolizing and excreting these substances, because it's dead.

Secondly, taking an injection of trenbolone mid competition would actually hinder performance, as trenbolone is injected with a carrier oil (trenbolone acetate). This oil is carried into the blood stream and makes it to the users lungs where the body tries to get rid of it. Trenbolone also facilitates the release and activation of prostoglandins which have an infammatory effect on the lungs, as well as causing vasoconstricton in the bronchus. These add up to symptoms known as Tren Cough. It causes respiratory distress and hypoxemia in users, which is why it would be stupid for an endurance athlete to take this mid competition. So while it's a great drug for bodybuilders, it's a horrible choice for any athlete that requires any aerobic work in their training.

Thirdly, the Clomiphene never showed up in any of his bio samples, it was found to be contaminating one of the supplements that the athlete submitted to USADA for testing. He never got "popped" for Clomiphene.
Old 01-12-19, 01:00 AM
ALANB58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an interesting article on Tren, actually there are a lot of them if you search, https://ironjunkies.com/trenbolone-review
Perhaps he cheats, if I can do what he is doing at 90 by any means possible, I will be exceeding my personal expectations.
Old 01-12-19, 01:16 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Riding the Hour from a layperson's perspective.

Old 01-13-19, 04:34 AM
FinkFloyd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw that video yesterday - very well presented, I thought. Provides a good explanation of the difficulties of the Hour record whilst simultaneously explaining how the advances made recently have been made (Bradley Wiggins' ability to hold 440W for 1 hour is extraordinary). Boardman's 'Superman' record shows that the aero does make the difference, though; if he could get over 56km with that position, it's clearly worth something. Cycling Weekly had an article recently where they got Graeme Obree into a wind tunnel to test the drag coefficient of the present-day aero position compared with the Superman and Obree's original 'no hands' position - apparently the 'no hands' position is still the most aero available.
Old 01-13-19, 08:04 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Is the UK Revolution Series dead?? Can't find anything less than a year old on the web.
Old 01-14-19, 11:51 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Is the UK Revolution Series dead?? Can't find anything less than a year old on the web.
Yep
Old 01-14-19, 04:59 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Poppit

Yep
Wow, that's a shame. It seemed really popular and successful with spectators, any idea what went wrong?
Old 01-15-19, 01:10 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling Australia teaming up with Zipp for 2020.
I'm guessing it's a similar deal to the BT/Argon 18, Mavic either provide the wheels for free or for a level of payment but Zipp are will to pay CA to use their wheels.

https://www.australiancyclingteam.com...IwTudqGeMKitVs
Old 01-15-19, 01:39 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Huskey
Cycling Australia teaming up with Zipp for 2020.
I'm guessing it's a similar deal to the BT/Argon 18, Mavic either provide the wheels for free or for a level of payment but Zipp are will to pay CA to use their wheels.

https://www.australiancyclingteam.com...IwTudqGeMKitVs

Cycling Australia is excited to be partnering with wheel manufacturer Zipp as our official supplier through to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

Zipp will provide front and rear disc wheels for the Argon 18 frames to the Australian Cycling Team as it strives for gold at the Tokyo 2020 Games.
Excellent.

Now that Zipp has their attention, maybe Zipp engineers can prove to them that the 808 is as fast (if not faster) than the Mavic Io.

Recall that Zipp publishes wind tunnel tests...Mavic does not.
Old 01-15-19, 02:07 AM
Baby Puke

...and maybe they can put their front disc back in production?
Old 01-15-19, 02:23 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
To me the carbon track crankset catches my eyes.
i think it’s made by automotive manufacturer
bf1systems
Old 01-15-19, 03:09 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gycho77
To me the carbon track crankset catches my eyes.
i think it’s made by automotive manufacturer
bf1systems
Yes. I believe this is the same company (and cranks?) used by Team GB in the London Olympics:

https://www.bf1systems.com/product/tr...d-aero-cranks/

These force measurement cranks were designed from the ground-up as cranks which were to be instrumented, and had to survive the highest loads seen anywhere in cycling, during the standing start of a velodrome race.

Each crank is capable of measuring the torque and force applied to it, along with its position, and transmits this wirelessly at 192Hz to the receiver mounted on the bike.

An internally mounted battery powers each crank, providing approximately 7 hours of continual use.

Status LEDs on the cranks provide the user with information on the current status of each crank arm.
My guess is that with only 7hrs of use per charge, they must be transmitting data very frequently. I would love to see one of the files
Old 01-15-19, 04:32 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
192hz!!!
that’s crazy number.
i thought it was a normal carbon track crank
i wonder how they collect the data without custom headunit.

Yes. I believe this is the same company (and cranks?) used by Team GB in the London Olympics:

Track Cycling Instrumented Aero Cranks | bf1systems

My guess is that with only 7hrs of use per charge, they must be transmitting data very frequently. I would love to see one of the files
Old 01-16-19, 03:45 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Excellent.

Now that Zipp has their attention, maybe Zipp engineers can prove to them that the 808 is as fast (if not faster) than the Mavic Io.

Recall that Zipp publishes wind tunnel tests...Mavic does not.
I noticed in the press release how precisely they mentioned the disc element of it...leading me to think that for bunch racing and sprint it would be an alternative supplier providing the 5 spoke rather than the Zipp 808?
Old 01-16-19, 08:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by ruudlaff
I noticed in the press release how precisely they mentioned the disc element of it...leading me to think that for bunch racing and sprint it would be an alternative supplier providing the 5 spoke rather than the Zipp 808?
Yeah, I noticed that, too. You are probably right.
Old 01-16-19, 08:51 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
World Cup V starts Friday in Cambridge, NZ (Or Thursday in the USA at 1:00 pm MST)
TISSOT UCI TRACK CYCLING WORLD CUP V | Tissot Timing

Last edited by 700wheel; 01-16-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 11:51 AM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Wow, that's a shame. It seemed really popular and successful with spectators, any idea what went wrong?
The Face Partnership that used to run it went bust and that seemed to be the end of it.
Old 01-17-19, 08:47 AM
benjovland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts
Looks like the Olympic Channel is streaming the NZ WC this weekend: olympicchannel.com/en/events/detail/2019-uci-track-cycling-world-cup-cambridge/
Old 01-17-19, 11:27 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Ottawa area trackie Brent Atkins has made himself an interesting start gate for training

In use​​​​
Build walk through

Last edited by taras0000; 01-17-19 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 12:59 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
that's pretty sweet
Old 01-18-19, 12:52 AM
sergioflorez

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
new cervelo track bike?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.