Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Can you help me by ID-ing this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 11:53 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
The dropouts are late 70's early 80s Vitus professional which seem to indicate a better quality likely Super Vitus tubed frame. In which case some of the components are likely none original and a bit lower than came on the bike originally. Based on the it could be a nicer model Mercier or Gitane can you tell if there is chrome under the paint on the rear dropouts and stays which would help confirm a nicer bike.
Old 06-11-19, 12:51 PM
Silvestru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zukahn1
The dropouts are late 70's early 80s Vitus professional which seem to indicate a better quality likely Super Vitus tubed frame. In which case some of the components are likely none original and a bit lower than came on the bike originally. Based on the it could be a nicer model Mercier or Gitane can you tell if there is chrome under the paint on the rear dropouts and stays which would help confirm a nicer bike.
I'll try searching the models for Mercier and Gitane to see if I can find a match. From what I understood so far, Gitane had a poor database when it comes to serial numbers. Any website about Mercier serial#?
Found some pics with Mercier bicycles and on some models, the bottom bracket lugs are the same as mine but other details are different...

When it comes to the equipment, as soon as the identification is a success, I'll try and match the original build.

Last edited by Silvestru; 06-11-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 02:49 PM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coming back with more pics regarding the rear dropouts and the rear stay.
Do they look like they were previously chromed? Guess that the nut and washer from the rear stay are a sign that the paint is not original?
I know that the bike had some decals but they were erased. In my first photos, you can still see the uncleaned glue residuals. Maybe it wasn’t repainted afterall.

Last edited by Silvestru; 06-11-19 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-11-19, 07:21 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Yes that would be so-so chrome under the paint considering the lower quality thin chrome and lack of details lean towards Mecier as the maker.

Last edited by zukahn1; 06-11-19 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 05:02 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Yep, French and well worth the $80 you spent but nothing that points to one of the major FR brands that most of us NorAm folks are familiar with. Looks like long point Bocama lugs, and Vitus dropouts so surely at least a mid-range model with something decent for tubing...what's the seatpost diameter? Never seen an alloy under-bracket cable guide exactly like this one: unusual little detail!
The seat post diameter is 26.4mm. There is a chance that the rear socks were chromed and repainted... Also, somebody a Vitus 888 tubing.
Old 06-12-19, 05:58 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvestru
The seat post diameter is 26.4mm. There is a chance that the rear socks were chromed and repainted... Also, somebody a Vitus 888 tubing.
26.4 is consistent with a high end French bike. The other thread you started on this bike has a lot of pics of the rear drop out. One neat thing about it is that it has a stop for a derailleur. I'll bet if you pull off the rear derailleur it is threaded. That means you can run a simplex rear derailleur (which is what you have now) or pretty much anything else you want as well. The earlier french dropouts--mainly simplex--were not threaded and lacked a stop. This drop out, plus the under the BB cable routing, suggests that the bike is from the 80s.

I really like the parts mix on this bike. Mafac brakes are cool and the levers are later ones that I like a lot as well. They came stock on my 1982 Peugeot PXN 10 (it has simplex drop outs but like yours it has a stop for a RD and it is threaded). The stronglight 99 crank with drillium rings is a nice touch. That is an 86 bcd crank and chain rings are readily available for it if you want to change the gearing. The normandy hi flange hubs are very serviceable and the mavic ma 2 rims are excellent.

The parts will clean up nicely. The frame will need some work though.

Last edited by bikemig; 06-12-19 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 08:22 AM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Silvestru, you might try searching for images of St Etienne and/or Mercier, from Tonton Velo.
Old 06-12-19, 08:32 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig
26.4 is consistent with a high end French bike. The other thread you started on this bike has a lot of pics of the rear drop out. One neat thing about it is that it has a stop for a derailleur. I'll bet if you pull off the rear derailleur it is threaded. That means you can run a simplex rear derailleur (which is what you have now) or pretty much anything else you want as well. The earlier french dropouts--mainly simplex--were not threaded and lacked a stop. This drop out, plus the under the BB cable routing, suggests that the bike is from the 80s.

I really like the parts mix on this bike. Mafac brakes are cool and the levers are later ones that I like a lot as well. They came stock on my 1982 Peugeot PXN 10 (it has simplex drop outs but like yours it has a stop for a RD and it is threaded). The stronglight 99 crank with drillium rings is a nice touch. That is an 86 bcd crank and chain rings are readily available for it if you want to change the gearing. The normandy hi flange hubs are very serviceable and the mavic ma 2 rims are excellent.

The parts will clean up nicely. The frame will need some work though.
Thank you for the assessment!

Somebody suggested that the equipment was changed over time and some parts did not came up with the frame. What's your opinion?
Also, from your perspective, what manufacturer do you think my bicycle is part of? So far people are suggesting Motobecane, Mercier, St Etienne cycles, Gitane, Meral.... That's cool and all but since there are lots and lots of models it is very hard for me to pinpoint a brand. I'm at the beginning regarding vintage road bicycles.

To sum up....but not sure about all aspects:
  • could be French - Gitane, Mercier, Motobecane, maybe Meral or unknown/custom;
  • late 70s - early 80s;
  • could be Vitus 888 tubing, Super Vitus? - the seat post diameter measures 26.4;
  • rear dropouts read Vitus - some people suggested that it had chromed rear socks and it was repainted - not sure;
  • lugs look like Bocama?
  • under-bracket cable guide alloy
  • Belleri handle bar, Mafac Racer, Simplex derailleur and shifters, Millard M M Atom quick release, Normandy hubs, etc.

Thank you kindly,
Old 06-12-19, 08:34 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gbi
Silvestru, you might try searching for images of St Etienne and/or Mercier, from Tonton Velo.
I'll have a look at the forum and see what stones I can turn. Thank you for the advice!
Old 06-12-19, 08:41 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvestru
Thank you for the assessment!

Somebody suggested that the equipment was changed over time and some parts did not came up with the frame. What's your opinion?
Also, from your perspective, what manufacturer do you think my bicycle is part of? So far people are suggesting Motobecane, Mercier, St Etienne cycles, Gitane, Meral.... That's cool and all but since there are lots and lots of models it is very hard for me to pinpoint a brand. I'm at the beginning regarding vintage road bicycles.

To sum up....but not sure about all aspects:
  • could be French - Gitane, Mercier, Motobecane, maybe Meral or unknown/custom;
  • late 70s - early 80s;
  • could be Vitus 888 tubing, Super Vitus? - the seat post diameter measures 26.4;
  • rear dropouts read Vitus - some people suggested that it had chromed rear socks and it was repainted - not sure;
  • lugs look like Bocama?
  • under-bracket cable guide alloy
  • Belleri handle bar, Mafac Racer, Simplex derailleur and shifters, Millard M M Atom quick release, Normandy hubs, etc.

Thank you kindly,
I'm skeptical that it's Vitus 888 as that is a straight gauge tubing set and I'm thinking that this is a little nicer frame than that. Other than that, I can't tell you much. I'd fix up and ride it. Here is some info on Vitus tubing sets.

Vitus history by Norris Lockley
Old 06-12-19, 08:48 AM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For sure I'll restore it and never going to sell it. It's my first bike and I want to ride it all my life.
The thing with the manufacturer ID is that I want to restore it as it was in the beginning and to find appropriate decals.
Old 06-12-19, 12:45 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
One of our bunch who bumps into a lot of out-of-the-ordinary French bikes is @MiloFrance, because he lives there and shops the country sales, flea markets, etc.
Maybe he'll chime in on ID-ing this one...the only thing I can say is the handle bars have "St. Etienne" stamped on them, maybe a clue but maybe not.
Old 06-12-19, 02:11 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
@Silvestru - there is a good chance that your frame was made by Liberia (of Grenoble).

Most of the features of your bike (as well as the serial number format and location) were, at one point or another, used by Liberia, whether on frames sold under their own brand or those of the shops that bought from them (like Michenon, Payan and others).

AFAIK Liberia didn’t have a set numbering system as you will find frames with numbers on the NDS dropouts, bottom bracket shells, or frames that have no numbers. They did a fair number of contract builds (or blank frames that were to be decaled by the shops that sold them), so maybe that explains the serial number situation. Also, I’m not sure how their numbers are decoded.

Here are some examples of Liberia frames with the serial number format/location similar to yours:

Here are some examples of full frames. Some are Liberia branded and one is labeled Michenon (who seemed to have sold mostly Liberia and Motobecane frames):

This one has different head lugs:

This one has the head lugs but different dropouts:

The brazeon inside the left seat stay is kind of interesting. Anyone know what these were used for? I've seen a few different styles but this particular style so far only on Liberia (please share any pics if this was more common on French frames).

Finally, most of the frames that I’ve seen that match yours had the “Liberia 102” tubing sticker on them. It is likely that’s what yours is made of as well. Unfortunately, I’m completely in the dark regarding the specs of that tubing. Most higher end Liberias were made with Reynolds 531 tubing.

Old 06-12-19, 02:27 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
The braze-on on the left stay is probably for a wheel driven generator.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 06-13-19, 01:38 PM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
!!!!

Very informative post @MauriceMoss!! Thanks to you I discovered Liberia bicycles and I have to say... some really match my own.
Thank you!

Googling Liberia, I came across this website - https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...our-de-france/ , where one road bike (bluish colour) seems quite familiar to mine, including the nut and washer from the rear seat stay. Still the distance between the head tube lugs is smaller than mine.
Will continue researching.
Old 06-13-19, 01:45 PM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Coming back with some details... maybe it means something, maybe not.

The inside of the seat reads:
Made in France
Perache
Brevete

The covering of the seat is made of suede.

Is there any connection with a Carbolite 103 frame?
Came across this thread which is interesting and full of knowledge - Carbolite 103, what is wrong with this type of frame?

The tires were glued (don't know the proper term) to the rims but I guess back then, all tires were like that?
Also, the handlebar caps read Peugeot... most probably the original caps were replaced with these ones? since everybody tells me this bike does not have any Peugeot characteristics

Last edited by Silvestru; 06-13-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 02:08 PM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK...

Coming back with some details... maybe it means something, maybe not.

The inside of the seat reads:
Made in France
Perache
Brevete

The covering of the seat is made of suede.

Is there any connection with a Carbolite 103 frame?
Came across this thread which is interesting and full of knowledge - Carbolite 103, what is wrong with this type of frame?

The tires were glued (don't know the proper term) to the rims but I guess back then, all tires were like that?
Also, the handlebar caps read Peugeot... most probably the original caps were replaced with these ones? since everybody tells me this bike does not have any Peugeot characteristics

Last edited by Silvestru; 06-13-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 02:15 PM
Silvestru

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately, in the beginning, I made the mistake of opening another thread in the Classic & Vintage section and now all the information is divided in two threads, which makes the whole picture a little harder for the community to grasp. - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-ing-bike.html

Still, @MauriceMoss commented on the thread and gave me a good advice: to search for Liberia Grenoble and Liberia 102. This producer has some models which come close to mine.. including that nut and washer from the rear seat stay but either way... I did not get a match so far.

Anyone, any thoughts on a possible Liberia?

Last edited by Silvestru; 06-13-19 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 02:40 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
That Maurice Moss does it AGAIN! I think Liberia falls into the "oddball French" category but not odd in a bad way just "seldom seen". I personally have heard of the brand before but those are the most pix I ever saw in one place and looks like OP's is right in that "family". No idea either about what kind of tubing "Liberia 102" could be but with a 26.4 seat post you're in the same wall thickness for seat tube as Reynolds 531 DB Metric so can't be too bad! Yes the Peugeot bar plugs are "red herrings", I think Liberia (or "made by" Liberia) is the correct ID.
Old 06-14-19, 01:31 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

The cycle's VITUS ends set bare:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/529759...n/photostream/

With Maurice on the case you could not be in finer shape.

-----
Old 06-14-19, 03:30 PM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 65 Posts
A bit late to this one but thank you for the mention @unworthy1. Puzzle solved!
Post 8 and 16 on this thread is the only positive Liberia I've come across in person, and it's gorgeous. However the only similarity with yours are the rear dropouts. Never seen that finishing on the seat stay caps either. I'd say mid-late 70s, I'd be surprised if it was more that a few months in to the 80s.
Ride it like you stole it!
Old 06-14-19, 07:23 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.
Old 06-15-19, 11:37 AM
gbi

I would like to see a new MASTERPIECE Mystery Series: MauriceMoss C&V Bicycle Detective.
Old 06-15-19, 12:26 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
Originally Posted by gbi
I would like to see a new MASTERPIECE Mystery Series: MauriceMoss C&V Bicycle Detective.

-----

+1

He puts them all to shame.

-----
Old 06-15-19, 02:35 PM
gbi

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

+1

He puts them all to shame.

-----
I think a MauriceMoss series would be a great addition to the already excellent MASTERPIECE Mystery programming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.