Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Daily Grind

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The Daily Grind

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-19, 10:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
The Daily Grind
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Because of the snow fall last week it feels like I'm having to grind it out this year more so than previous years. Certainly, it could just be the recency effect, but my commute of 38-km, day in and day out, feels a lot more difficult than before.

Not physically more difficult, because it's really not hard. I don't push the pace very often, usually taking just under an hour to do the 19 km, not even breaking a sweat when I arrive. More mentally taxing for me...

Feel free to commiserate with me.
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Sorry, no.
Try a new accessory. Try new clothing. Try a new route or modified route. Try a new podcast (one ear). Try pushing your weather limits.

You just need to find the motivation.

I was off the bike for a year due to a bulging disc in my neck when I was 48. It was the most miserable year of my adult life, physically and mentally. I knew what I was missing, and for the last 9 years I fight for it every morning I can....

and now every ride on that bike proves I can still perform some mechanical work myself, and still ride, and every ride on every bike proves I can overcome injuries and limitations, both physical and mental.

And if you can't find the motivation before you start your ride, you will find it somewhere on the ride or even at the end.

just go, Go, GO!
I too remember some years ago, likely even after joining Bike Forums in 2008, after a few seasons of of relatively enthusisastic Winter Commuting thinking how long can I keep this up (?). I can’t remember my specific thoughts that alleviated it. Nonethless, when I first read this thread, I too thought of two themes… motivation, and inability to ride.

I have frequently replied to threads about motivation (link); and I have had two periods of prolonged absence, particularly after a serious accident in 2012
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been cycle commuting, road riding and cycle-touring since about 1972...truly a lifestyle.

I was hit by a car in June 2012, and was hospitalized for six weeks, off work for three months, and off the bike for five months, during one of the best cycling summers ever. I was torn from my cycling lifestyle, as well as other activities, like work, family life, and hobbies….

Going back to work certainly hastened the process, especially since cycle-commuting was a viable activity, as part of work. I am more enthusiastic about riding than ever, and may even be a better rider now too.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I know how you feel. I experienced those same feelings few times over the years...Think about the alternative. The alternative is sitting inside a car stuck in rush hour traffic which isn't very pleasant.

At least when your ride you're getting some benefits from exercise. The grind is mostly mental.
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Think about scraping off the windshield, and how the heater in the car will start running warm just as you pull into the parking lot
I will say, however, that last week during the snow storm, that I did get home faster than had I driven. I fact, there was gridlock at every intersection.

But the whole week was a grind, probably because I had to ride on studs all five days. Also probably added an extra two hours or more to the weekly commute time.

Much better thus week. Only on studs once, and more sun, warmer, and better roads.
Just this morning I happened to be reading “Men’s Health” magazine, and a reader wrote in about his lack motivation to work out. The editor had an interesting reply. He commented that the problem may not be lack of motivation, but competing motivations with a limited amount of time to satisfy them.

For example eating a deep dish pizza is more motivating than working out. So too, might the ease of driving overcome the hassles of driving as described above, and even overwhelm the enjoyable motivations to cycle.

For the past few couple years, other than few episodic medical problems, my riding has tapered off, not due to lack of desire. I have posted
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride...
For me, my professional responsibilities, as well as that I like my job and family, have overwhelmed my desire / ability to cycle-commute, even in the winter. (Fortunately, a drastic change in workload is about to occur within the next couple weeks.)

FWIW, According to the editor of that magazine, you just have to decide how to prioritize your motivations.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-23-19 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-23-19, 10:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Driving, though gets me there faster, is frustrating….

Riding to work in poor weather and road conditions just feels too much like work itself.
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I feel blessed that during rush hour, riding my 16 km to work is faster than driving, which helps my motivation a lot during poor weather.

It's also a bonus that there are a lot of breakfast restaurants along my route and a bbq catering kitchen at a pivotal juncture - if I haven't had my breakfast the odors are particularly enticing. It's the ride home that gets to me in bad weather: working too late, temperature dropping, uphill slog, tired/pissed drivers.

It helps that a lot of people light up on the way home from work and the odor of high quality legal weed brightens things up a bit.
"Dope can get you through times of no money, better than money can get you through times of no dope."
Wow, my fellow Metro Bostonian, @Archwhorides, that’s the second (as well as favorable) reference to weed that I have read recently on Bike Forums.
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
It is not surprising that too much bike riding like most pleasurable experiences except one (and we all know what that is) can get boring. It's like coming home from vacation, Sometimes no matter how magnificent the mountain scenery is as I drive through, I just want to get home.

It helps if you have a friend to bike with sometimes, and take a break and talk to some people you meet, pet their dog, be happy not bored.

Now here in Canada we have some special tabacco that will make every bike ride an adventure.
Wow…I think in ten years on Bike Forums, this is the first mention I have seen using “wacky tobaccy” to enhance a ride.

I anticipate a fire storm to follow
Didn’t happen.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-23-19 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-24-19, 04:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I was grinding gravel for 43 miles today on my singlespeed, it was totally different grind from my daily grind to work on smooth pavement.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-24-19, 04:59 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I was grinding gravel for 43 miles today on my singlespeed, it was totally different grind from my daily grind to work on smooth pavement.
Props for the SS!

I agree. I rode 88 km with 11 other guys today. Now I'm almost looking forward to tomorrow's commute at a nice leisurely pace. Sometimes you just need a little bit of perspective.