Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Redshift Shockstop Stem first impressions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-19, 03:19 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts

I've mentioned this in a few threads so I'll just write this one brief review. A little background: I rented a bike in San Francisco about a month ago and after checking their inventory they gave me a free upgrade to a Specialized Roubaix since nothing else would fit. Perfect. It felt great to ride it. The shop guy had mentioned the shock headset (or wherever it fits) and I didn't give it much thought until the end of the ride as I was coming from the Golden Gate bridge. I didn't want the riding to end because I still felt fairly fresh after 45 miles but it was getting late, but it occurred to me why, I didn't feel all shaken up.

A little research (google) led me to the Redshift Shockstop, which sounded a lot like what I would want in shock absorption, not a total flex, just enough to ride over a bumpy road. I read all the reviews, watched the videos, looked here on BF, and almost all reviews were pretty positive. They checked all the right boxes, doesn't look too bad, adjustable shock, easy to install. So I bought one, installed it today and took it for a ride on the road. First thing I notice is that I can push down on it and it felt a little soft, but when I started riding I didn't notice that at all. I ride my regular route where I know every bump in the road and how to avoid them, but this time I'm looking to ride through them and it really felt better, less vibration on the hands, but not so spongy you didn't feel the road. On smooth pavement you don't notice it. It was that same feeling I noticed on the Roubaix, like the entire bike was absorbing the shock. Really nice actually and it saved me about $2500 that a new Roubaix was going to cost.

I should add that not only was the Shockstop new on my bike, but this stem was 5mm shorter, plus I flipped it from the -6 to +6 position so I'm not as stretched out, and I also didn't pump up to 110psi but used 100psi instead on my 23 tires. In any case I think I've added a few more years of life to my bike as I've gotten older. It felt entirely more comfortable to ride, and more comfortable will equal more miles.

I won't recommend that everyone run out and buy one, but don't hesitate if you are thinking about it or are looking to soften the ride a bit.
Likes For zacster:
Old 12-06-19, 03:39 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
If you add 25mm tires at 80psi you will feel like your in a Lincoln Town Car.
Likes For brianmcg123:
Old 12-06-19, 04:26 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by brianmcg123
If you add 25mm tires at 80psi you will feel like your in a Lincoln Town Car.
I've ridden my tires lower than even the 100 I had them at today and I don't like the squishy feeling. And I've always had a lot more flats when less inflated. I've mentioned in some other threads that I'm looking to try a 28, but I don't think it'll fit in the rear, and a GP4000 25 rubbed too. Everyone is saying that the GP5000 runs true to size and are narrower. Maybe a larger tire won't feel as squishy at lower pressure? I could put the 28 in the front but with the Shockstop I feel like I'm covered there.
Likes For zacster:
Old 12-06-19, 05:11 PM
diverge52rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Also planning to buy one for my Diverge after reading/watching every review I could find. Would love to compare the FutureShock and the Shockstop side-by-side on some singletrack.
Old 12-06-19, 07:03 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by diverge52rider
Also planning to buy one for my Diverge after reading/watching every review I could find. Would love to compare the FutureShock and the Shockstop side-by-side on some singletrack.
Just do it. You won't regret it. Take advantage of 20% off on their website.

I rode both and can say that they are similar in feel. I don't ride singletrack, mostly just roads though.
Old 12-06-19, 07:23 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I have both the stem and the seat post (ships in January -- I did a kickstarter and got one a bit earlier). Both are great.
Old 12-06-19, 08:05 PM
diverge52rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Gonna get it shipped to my friend in Flushing and have it ready for spring. Only other place I could find it was Amazon Canada for a bonkers $250 U.S. (but with free shipping!)

The seat post looks cool too. One upgrade at a time, but if I get to that point a hardtail MB is probably not too far off...
Old 12-07-19, 12:18 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I think I want the seatpost, but I don't even know if it will fit on my SLR02 with its crazy aero seat tube design. Maybe I'll email them.

$229, though?
Old 12-07-19, 07:25 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I think I want the seatpost, but I don't even know if it will fit on my SLR02 with its crazy aero seat tube design. Maybe I'll email them.

$229, though?
I think they only make it in the standard 27.2 size and have shims for other sizes. And round only. My bike has a 30.0 round post and I couldn't find anything that fit when I needed a new one. I tried a shim but it would slip. In any case I'm not really interested in that.
Old 12-07-19, 10:00 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I think they only make it in the standard 27.2 size and have shims for other sizes. And round only. My bike has a 30.0 round post and I couldn't find anything that fit when I needed a new one. I tried a shim but it would slip. In any case I'm not really interested in that.
Ah, that's a bummer. Maybe they will realize they are losing some sales with all these aero and larger round tubes on the road now...
Old 12-07-19, 11:33 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by bpcyclist

$229, though?
I'm pretty sure it won't. As of now, they only have one size, and they will sell you a Cane Creek shim. It made noises until I greased the bejeezus out of it. I almost tore into my bottom bracket to go hunting for the problem until I realized what it was. (Once I greased it, it was fine.)

I posted a first-impressions thread for their suspension seatpost at the mtbr forum.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 12-07-19 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-07-19, 12:00 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I've had one on my gravel bike for about 10 months... I like it a lot. Was using the ergon seat post for awhile, but decided a dropper post was more useful with the trails near me.. The dropper was eye opening.
Old 12-07-19, 12:24 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Redshift is planning to release a suspension dropper post some time in the future, after they release the suspension post.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 12-09-19 at 10:48 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-09-19, 06:08 AM
zacster

I looked at the dropper posts just now out of curiosity as they've never been on my radar. I'd have to try one or the Redshift one before I'd even consider it for my gravel/trail bike. I'm not a serious MTBer, just look at my location and see where I live. We have one, just one, set of gravel trails to ride on in the entire borough.

Meanwhile it doesn't look like I'll be getting out on my road bike with the new stem again anytime soon. Rain for two days and then some snow. The first snow usually ends my outdoor riding for the season.
Old 12-23-19, 03:05 PM
zacster

I had a chance to do a longer ride today for the first time since I bought this. It was 55 and sunny two days before Christmas!

I did a 20 mile ride and I wish I had gone out sooner because I could easily have done 50 today, it just felt so good to ride. Let me just say that this stem makes riding my bike a much more enjoyable experience. While NYC roads aren't nearly as bad as you'd expect and are kept in decent repair, there are still a lot of places where there is bumpiness, whether from patched construction, markings, rumble strips, sidewalk cracks when you are on them, whatever. Having this stem in place just dampens it all, after 20 miles I just didn't feel anything. Big holes I avoid but I didn't need to avoid the rough patches the way I usually do. I just rode right through them. I'm just looking forward now to doing that 50 miler, and then 100, but alas it is winter and I don't think I'll be doing that for a while.
Likes For zacster:
Old 12-26-19, 10:32 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thinking of putting one on my Litespeed Arenberg, what's holding me back is I like the fit and steering with my 70mm stem (turned up). A little concerned about jumping from 70 mm up to a 90mm. Anybody done this?

Have tried the tire thing, went from 23 to 25 at 80 psi and like it but that's it. With this setup it sometimes rubs the rear sidewalls. When the rear wears down I may move the front back and try a 28 on the front. Now that I'm past 60 looking for any edge I can get to hold off pain and soreness.
Old 12-26-19, 05:08 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by huffman
Thinking of putting one on my Litespeed Arenberg, what's holding me back is I like the fit and steering with my 70mm stem (turned up). A little concerned about jumping from 70 mm up to a 90mm. Anybody done this?
I'd get hold of a cheap 90mm stem of the appropriate angle and give that a shot first... probably worth moving the seat forward maybe 10mm while you're at it, see how that goes. 20mm more reach is nothing to sneeze at; you may not be able to make it work.
Old 12-27-19, 05:43 PM
zacster

I'd worry about going from 70 to 90 myself. I went slightly shorter on mine but only down by 5, and then I also turned it up. It is a much more relaxed position for me in my old age at 64. I just give up on the racing posture, comfort is king.
Old 12-28-19, 04:46 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
You may need to get a zero offset seat post to compensate for the longer stem and/or get an other bar with shorter reach.
Old 12-28-19, 09:22 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I've ridden my tires lower than even the 100 I had them at today and I don't like the squishy feeling. And I've always had a lot more flats when less inflated. I've mentioned in some other threads that I'm looking to try a 28, but I don't think it'll fit in the rear, and a GP4000 25 rubbed too. Everyone is saying that the GP5000 runs true to size and are narrower. Maybe a larger tire won't feel as squishy at lower pressure? I could put the 28 in the front but with the Shockstop I feel like I'm covered there.
actual tire size depends on rim width. I have measured 23 mm GP4000, and 23 and 25 GP5000. In a 14 mm inside width old Bontrager Race rim they are true to size pretty much to 120 psig. On the Bontrager Aeroles 5 with 19 mm inside width I upgraded to they are larger. The 23s are ~25 mm and the 25s are ~28 mm.
Old 12-28-19, 11:15 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
You may need to get a zero offset seat post to compensate for the longer stem and/or get an other bar with shorter reach.
if you move the saddle though, your legs and hips are now out of place.
Saddle shouldn't be moved to compensate for reach.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-28-19, 11:23 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
if you move the saddle though, your legs and hips are now out of place.
Saddle shouldn't be moved to compensate for reach.
Assuming its in the "right" (what ever that is) place to begin with. Imo seat - bar distance is much more important than achieving KOPS, or whatever seat - crank distance theory you subscribe to.
Old 12-28-19, 11:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Assuming its in the "right" (what ever that is) place to begin with. Imo seat - bar distance is much more important than achieving KOPS, or whatever seat - crank distance theory you subscribe to.
Balance is important. Setback can have a large affect on balance and moving the saddle forward often places more weight on the hands/arms, a bit of a bass ackwards move if you're looking for more comfort out of a stem.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-02-20, 02:12 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Late to the thread, but I just ordered one of these about a week ago. It's on the way, but a little slower due to holiday shipping, etc. It's going on my gravel/road training bike, the Trek Crockett. Planning on doing more gravel this year and it always seemed to pummel my hands and wrists more than anything else. There are also some very awful chip-seal roads in my area that are basically like riding frozen gravel. It's literally gravel mixed with tar and in some places it can come apart and make bad washboard sections, etc. Looking forward to getting it on the bike and hitting some of the worst roads to see how it goes.
Old 01-02-20, 08:13 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Late to the thread, but I just ordered one of these about a week ago. It's on the way, but a little slower due to holiday shipping, etc. It's going on my gravel/road training bike, the Trek Crockett. Planning on doing more gravel this year and it always seemed to pummel my hands and wrists more than anything else. There are also some very awful chip-seal roads in my area that are basically like riding frozen gravel. It's literally gravel mixed with tar and in some places it can come apart and make bad washboard sections, etc. Looking forward to getting it on the bike and hitting some of the worst roads to see how it goes.
Please report back! I've had very limited use of it on the roads here, plus the roads aren't really that bad. So far though I love it. I'm looking forward to a long ride to see if it creates less stress on my hands and arms. You don't realize how hard cycling is on your hands until it isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.