Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel Migrates to the left

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 09:41 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts

My roadie rear wheel migrates to the left after awhile and sometimes slightly rubs the lower tube that goes to the rear axle.

My guess is that this is from hard cranking going up a local hill and age (2000 model)
My guess is that maybe the wheel would benefit from having the spokes adjusted to bring the rim a bit right.

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-08-19, 10:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Tighten the QR skewer more firmly.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-08-19, 10:14 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I put a set of new wheels on one of my bikes a few years ago. The wheels included new quick release skewers. The skewer on the back couldn't produce enough clamping power to keep the wheel straight when I climbed out of the seat and stood up to pedal up hills. I had to discard the cheap new skewers and buy some good old fashioned chrome steel skewers. The new steel skewers produced far greater clamping force & solved the problem.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 12-08-19, 10:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The difference between enclosed cam and open cam QR units is a frequent topic here. So to is the axle extension beyond the lock nut WRT the drop out's thickness and does the QR bottom out bon that axle end. Broken axles is another common topic that can cause wheel shift during riding. Spokes that self loosen while riding (to allow the rim to shift over) yet somehow retighten before the beginning of the next ride isn't a common thing Andy
Old 12-09-19, 12:23 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Wow, Great info everyone. Really appreciated! This has been on my mind to ask the experts here for awhile.
Old 12-09-19, 10:42 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
Another item to check is that the dropouts (the ends of the frame that the wheel clamps into) are spaced and aligned properly. If you haven't changed wheels or been in an accident, this is probably okay.
Old 12-09-19, 04:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Another item to check is that the dropouts (the ends of the frame that the wheel clamps into) are spaced and aligned properly. If you haven't changed wheels or been in an accident, this is probably okay.
Definitely recommend you check this, but it depends on the bike as to whether it might have come out of the box like this. Not uncommon for older bikes to have fork tips and/or dropouts not correctly aligned. Production has become better about QC items like this.