Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New Challenges

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 10:08 AM
Jcastro80

Bikes: 2012 Redline Metro Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Challenges

Hello, from the PNW.
Total newbie here. Well, to road bikes anyway. I used to mess around with bmx and swap parts & such when I was a kid. I joined the Army right after HS and found that I really enjoyed running. I continued running even after I ETS'd and was training for ultra marathons. But I kept injuring my ankle at work or at home and have to nurse it back to health, only to start my training over. This happened three times before I threw in the towel. I still like running but the competitive side not an option for me anymore.

I still wanted a cardio activity and be outside. I never gave cycling a serious thought until after the ankle fiasco. I didnt know anything about components, materials and sizes. Shoot.... I didn't know what an sti lever was!

My hunt for a bike was in full affect. I know Im going used because with my lack of knowledge, I didnt want to be "sold" on a bike and regret my decision. I knew I wanted a road bike 53/54 cm in size and I knew I wanted something with tire clearance. I searched CL, FB Marketplace and Offerup a lot until I finally found it. An orange/red 2012 Redline Metro Classic for $180 and It was in bad shape. No cracks or warping in the frame. But the components were a mess. It had a 29'r fork, an old 9 sp right shift lever, 3 or 4 layers of tape wrapped on the bars with the original tape underneath, beat up rim brake rims on disc hubs, extremely grimy 10 sp cassette, etc. I swapped out and replaced every single component except for the drop bars, brake calipers and seatpost clamp. All the work was done by myself and I did everything I could to keep it out of a shop. I wanted to learn and know how everything works and functions. It took about 5 months to get it on the road and working properly, upgrading to better parts along the way, such as removing the square taper BB and puting a Praxis Works crank set and M30 BB in it.

I've been turning the cranks nearly everyday since August. Whether outside or spinning the trainer or rollers, fine tuning adjustments on the bike and getting my position dialed in.

My new goal, within 4 years, is to competitively finish the Trans American Bike Race while I still have it in me. Im already on the hunt for a new bike and getting all my gear together. Im stoked.
Old 12-10-19, 10:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums and I love your racing goal. Check out the long distance and racing forums. In the racing forum, there are stickies at the top that have training and racing tips and workouts. Good luck.
Old 12-17-19, 07:28 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Welcome. Sorry to hear about your ankle issues. But happy that it led you here.
Old 12-17-19, 08:32 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
New challenges indeed, Bikeforums and its membership are terrific tools for tips and knowledge of all aspects of bicycling. I am in my late 60s and have been road riding since late teens. Just a couple of years ago, I wanted a challenge and it made great sense to make it learning bike mechanics. I am naturally a mechanically challenged person. I have now taken 2 bikes down to bare metal, had them powder coated and then I rebuilt them with a combination of original, used and new components/parts. I am now ready to get my third project powder coated. The wealth of knowledge and generosity of BF membership has been crucial in my learning process.

Welcome to BikeForums, enjoy and be safe!
Old 12-17-19, 09:26 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
You may no longer be doing ultras but but might enjoy a video of Courtney Dewaulter, one of the finest endurance athletes in the world today. She won the race up Mt. Blanc, an major event in Europe.