Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Price of Shimano SPD pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Price of Shimano SPD pedals

Old 12-10-19, 02:52 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I have had the $25 type, and mid-priced Shimano ones, and higher priced Shimano ones.

I was riding on a dirt trail with some Wellgo cheapies (single-side clip/platform style, maybe $50) a few years back, came to an abrupt stop, and went to yank my feet out, and ripped the clip mechanism apart on both pedals simultaneously. I have had a set of the Shimano single-side clip/platform ($80 Canadian or so) pedals on my bike for the past ~6000 kms and they are awesome. The bearings in the more expensive Shimano pedals are a little smoother.
Old 12-10-19, 03:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
Originally Posted by GnipGnop
If you know what you're doing, you can get things from AliExpress in less than two weeks.
I agree, you can probably get something....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-11-19, 02:36 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I have had the $25 type, and mid-priced Shimano ones, and higher priced Shimano ones.

I was riding on a dirt trail with some Wellgo cheapies (single-side clip/platform style, maybe $50) a few years back, came to an abrupt stop, and went to yank my feet out, and ripped the clip mechanism apart on both pedals simultaneously. I have had a set of the Shimano single-side clip/platform ($80 Canadian or so) pedals on my bike for the past ~6000 kms and they are awesome. The bearings in the more expensive Shimano pedals are a little smoother.
I've had generally good luck with Wellgo pedals, and like the clicky feeling on the tension adjustment screw. I can't think of any major problems I've had with them. I think they were Shimano pedals that occasionally have a pivot pin/bolt come loose.

I've been reluctant to open a Wellgo pedal, but I really like the slide-in method on the cones for most Shimano pedals.

The M9000 XTR pedals are very nice!!!
Old 12-11-19, 07:46 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Not to change the subject but on another item. I wanted to get a Crank Brothers M19 multi-tool. I have multi-tools but wanted to have one dedicated for my road bike under saddle bag.

Anyway I have seen the price (depending on the color) on Amazon go from $28ish down to about $18 But normally they were at about $26 last fall. One day I was looking and saw them for $18 or so but I hesitated. Later that day I checked they back to $26, week or so later they were down again to $18.67 so I bought one. A week later back up to $26. I just checked now they are $17.99 any color.

I guess what I'm trying to say is prices can go up they can go down I guess it all depends. If not in a hurry sometimes best to wait.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 12-11-19, 08:39 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
I’m looking for some new Shimano Mtn SPD pedals and the prices are all so high now. Anyone know why?
From what I recall, around 2013-14, Shimano pulled SPDs from several distributors to just 6; then withdrew from second party distributors entirely, leaving shops with the only option to buy directly from them via their online store.

Foreign vendors were still offering competition until recently, which is probably still fresh in people's memory.
Old 12-12-19, 12:21 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
Not to change the subject but on another item. I wanted to get a Crank Brothers M19 multi-tool. I have multi-tools but wanted to have one dedicated for my road bike under saddle bag.

Anyway I have seen the price (depending on the color) on Amazon go from $28ish down to about $18 But normally they were at about $26 last fall. One day I was looking and saw them for $18 or so but I hesitated. Later that day I checked they back to $26, week or so later they were down again to $18.67 so I bought one. A week later back up to $26. I just checked now they are $17.99 any color.

I guess what I'm trying to say is prices can go up they can go down I guess it all depends. If not in a hurry sometimes best to wait.
I've heard that Amazon pricing is a bit odd. Perhaps algorithmic pricing to hit low bids. Or, perhaps a seller dumping dead stock. When that stock sells out, the seller moves on, and Amazon defaults back to the next higher seller.

Also, Shimano has been struggling to prevent foreign vendors from selling in the USA, or to enforce some kind of MAP.
Old 01-28-20, 05:12 PM
GnipGnop
just having fun

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I agree, you can probably get something....
E packet or standard ali express shipping delivers in 16-26 days. I pester the seller to ship ASAP for 5 star reviews.