Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 03:55 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
12/9 Scattered Glass on SART

I rode it this morning (12/9) and some jerk had scattered broken green glass across the path under MacArthur Blvd. Be careful!
Old 12-12-19, 12:54 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Been riding SART for 20+ years and the broken glass is so regular that I tinkle my chamois a little if there is ever a day I ride it without glass being spread across the path.
Old 12-12-19, 08:26 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
I ride the SART between the beach and the Anaheim stadium area regularly, and there can be an occasional broken glass area. Its not everywhere, and not every time I ride it, but common enough so that I keep an eye on the pavement for it (also dog poop). Most of the time its around the bridge underpasses, so I'm assuming its someone tossing a bottle off the bridge. If you're keeping you eyes on the road ahead you shouldn't have a problem. Cheers
Old 12-12-19, 08:32 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If it's laid out in a line or distributed in what is clearly a debris field, then it is notable. Otherwise, glass on the SART? Only always. A good day is not having to ride onto the dirt to dodge a shopping cart.
Old 12-13-19, 04:05 PM
TheDudeIsHere

I must admit, with some of the wonderful views I have seen out there, it is sometimes hard to keep your eyes on the road!

Old 12-13-19, 04:11 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
My eyes hurt now. Do you need fenders for the brown dirt piles?
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 12-13-19, 04:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Honestly, what is the allure of SART? Dumps you out on polluted beaches? Dog turd Beach?
I suppose it is great for commuters. I have not been on SART for about a year. Can't say I miss it or plan on riding it in the future.

I much prefer the elongated Santiago-El Toro Rd-Laguna Canyon Rd if I had to get to OC beaches from Yorba Park.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 12-13-19 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-13-19, 05:23 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Honestly, what is the allure of SART? Dumps you out on polluted beaches? Dog turd Beach?
I suppose it is great for commuters. I have not been on SART for about a year. Can't say I miss it or plan on riding it in the future.

I much prefer the elongated Santiago-El Toro Rd-Laguna Canyon Rd if I had to get to OC beaches from Yorba Park.

Some of us are just sissies who prefer an easy ride on flat lands without cars. I myself could care less about the beach. I stop there to use the toilet and nothing more. I could care less about polluted beaches, dog parks, I just ride there then head back.

I never have to get to OC beaches so if I ride something other than SART, I ride GMR since I live near Mt Baldy.

But honestly, riding GMR since 1996, it's actually all the same since I just like riding my bike. The roads/trails are all the same after a while. Only difference to me is that if I ride GMR all the time, I'd be riding alone since not many ride GMR vs SART.

Not to mention, with a small group of friends on SART, the enjoyment of riding SART can be a bit more than riding GMR no matter the difference in terrain. It's all the same to me, I like riding my bike and it doesn't matter. Just that SART is safer for some of my friends who also don't care about the OC beaches so I ride with them, or ride alone. To be honest, I don't see many forum members or friends on GMR.
Old 12-13-19, 06:27 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
As I grow old, I have that gut feeling I will be regaling within 10 years the flat magic that is SART.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 12-14-19, 08:24 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
As I grow old, I have that gut feeling I will be regaling within 10 years the flat magic that is SART.
Yes, its just a flat ribbon of asphalt, but I live less than 2 miles from it so its a really attractive alternative. Its uncrowded and quiet at dawn, no traffic lights, and the beach at the south end isn't that bad, but don't go into the water for a few days after a rainstorm flushes all the inland debris down onto the sand. The 'unofficial' dog park down there is another topic, probably P&R territory, so no use going there beyond saying 'UGH!' and I'm glad its primarily on the Newport Beach side of the outlet; the HB side is actually state property, and the riverbed itself is Orange County jurisdiction - all those agencies have been fingerpointing away their responsibility for the last few years.

For a real challenge get a single speed with high gearing and try to ride it for 20-30 miles (out and back). All those inconsequential underpasses suddenly become quite significant little hills after 20 miles, and if the onshore breeze picks up it'll been even more of a challenge. I've done it with a 53-16 SS and gotten quite a significant workout.

Last edited by skidder; 12-14-19 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For skidder:
Old 12-14-19, 08:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
All of y'all coastal dwellers seem to forget that the SART doesn't purely exist right on the coast. I ride the northernmost (paved) 15 miles of it all the time, and still end up about 50 miles from the Pacific.

Way fewer poorly-piloted bikes and rollerbladers to dodge up at this end. Seeing as someone brought up GMR, without question 38/Forest Falls > GMR, any day of the week.
Old 12-14-19, 09:02 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Honestly, what is the allure of SART?
No cars, flat, wide, lightly used, clean, plenty of places to rest, plenty of places to exit and replenish.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-14-19, 11:55 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
. Seeing as someone brought up GMR, without question 38/Forest Falls > GMR, any day of the week.
Let's not turn this into a wee wee swinging contest or I will not hesitate to lock this thread!

Last edited by TheDudeIsHere; 12-14-19 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-14-19, 11:56 AM
TheDudeIsHere

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
No cars, flat, wide, lightly used, clean, plenty of places to rest, plenty of places to exit and replenish.

Exactly!