Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 04:25 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
FS: SuperCourse R brake adjusting barrel

Oh yeah I also have a few of those special adjusting barrels for the rear brake cable, to fit the housing stop bridge braze-on, on certain '70s Raleighs. I'm not sure what years, but if you have one of the affected frames, you probably know about this part. Lots of SC frames have lost their original, or it broke.

I have two kinds. The first one is from a Simplex shift lever, and it works great but the socket where the housing goes in is kinda small, intended for derailer housing. Brake housing can work if you trim a little off the vinyl sheath. Sorry the picture is not in focus.

I'll sell these for $20 including USA shipping.

The other kind is made for brake housing, and looks more like the original. I don't know where I got these, but they may be actual original Raleigh parts.

I only have a couple of these for sale, so I want $40 for them, shipped.

Here's a pic of the two together, hopefully shows the size difference a little better:
If you're outside the US, we can talk about what shipping will cost.

​​​​​​​-Mark
Old 12-14-19, 08:31 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
OK, your call, but that tape on there now is original. Unwrap it carefully and conserve it for the bike's next owner. Unless you plan on being buried with it? Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Maybe sell the tape here or on the 'bay! If you want to give it away, let me say I have a one-owner bronze green '71 that currently has upright bars, but I am considering restoring it to the catalog spec, for sentimental reasons. I have all the other parts I need, such as the Weinmann A210 rims, GB bars & stem, Raleigh quill pedals, Carlton brake lever hoods, the Huret Luxe ST and the extra-long Huret downtube shift levers.

Do you know about the Kool Stop pads that are a near-exact reproduction of the original Weinmanns? I think it's so "kool" that they do that. They deserve our support for making such a niche product for us C&V weirdos. They make several other retro/repro styles too, including Mafac.
I had no idea that tape was in demand, but if I decide to part with it I'll let you know first.

I have seen the Kool stop products, quite "kool" - have some on a set of Mafacs. As a matter of fact, I've had a pretty good variety of pads from them and they've all been good.
Old 12-17-19, 01:50 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Oh yeah I also have a few of those special adjusting barrels for the rear brake cable, {snip}
I have two kinds. The first one is from a Simplex shift lever, I'll sell these for $20 including USA shipping.​​​
Oops that's too much money, when you can get two of them for $11 (and free shipping) here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293245165512
Sorry about that. Buy them from that guy!
Old 12-18-19, 02:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
BFisher, be sure to let us know how you like the ride of the bike. I love mine. I've rebuilt it several times. My slow-moving project is to equip it as a gravel bike with 700x37 tires and a 2x8 indexed drivetrain.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-18-19, 04:00 PM
BFisher

Originally Posted by noglider
BFisher, be sure to let us know how you like the ride of the bike. I love mine. I've rebuilt it several times. My slow-moving project is to equip it as a gravel bike with 700x37 tires and a 2x8 indexed drivetrain.
Will do for sure. I've read so many positive things here that I can't wait to take it for a spin. Believe me, your high praise was one of many contributing factors to my decision to snag this. Call yourself an enabler!
Old 12-18-19, 04:27 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
BF wisdom recycled...DiaCompe / Weinmann Centerpull Brake Hardware at Yellow Jersey

This vendor was mentioned positively here on BF, and they stock the barrel adjusters that several members seem to struggle to locate.

I've not purchased and used the offerings on a Super Course brake bridge , so an exchange with the seller might clarify the finer points.

I'd guess the pair at the center of the looped cables would get the job done.

yelllowjersy.org - DiaCompe / Weinmann Centerpull Brake Hardware at Yellow Jersey

yellowjersey.org brake barrel adjusters
  • Brake adjusters, 6mm standard type (center, in photo),w/locknut each $1.95
  • Brake adjusters, 6mm supersize (left, in photo), each $4.95
  • Brake adjusters, 5mm bright chrome w/spring and eared sleeve (right, in photo), each $4.95

Old 12-18-19, 09:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

BFisher how did you come upon yours?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-18-19, 09:26 PM
BFisher

@noglider, I'd been keeping an eye out on Craigslist and eBay for one with Capella lugs. Recently two popped up, a brown one on Craigslist, and the green one on eBay. I made an offer on the eBay bike, thinking if it wasn't accepted, I'd contact the Craigslist seller and try that. My offer was accepted and that was that.

Officially, it is a Christmas gift from my wife.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-22-19, 07:41 PM
9volt 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Is this a SC?

Old 12-22-19, 08:50 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by 9volt
Is this a SC?
​​​​​​​Pretty sure there was never an all-chrome SC.
My guess is a Grand Sports, maybe '70? Check out Gugie's here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAMGtxP
They also had a Gran Sport model (dropping the final "d" and "s"), famous for the white with Lagoon Blue paint, but I think these chrome ones were Grand Sports.

Does yours have the oval head badge? I think not, pic makes me think it has a Heron-shaped badge.

-Mark
Old 12-22-19, 09:22 PM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oops that's too much money, when you can get two of them for $11 (and free shipping) here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293245165512
Sorry about that. Buy them from that guy!
It's called gouging.....but nice try. You wouldn't have been "sorry" if you had gotten your $40.....just sayin'.

Kevin
Old 12-22-19, 10:33 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by Real1shepherd
It's called gouging.....but nice try. You wouldn't have been "sorry" if you had gotten your $40.....just sayin'.

Kevin
Ooh, I have been schooled! Message received, thanks. Merry Christmas to you too.
Old 12-23-19, 11:19 AM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Good price on a Craigslist SC in Western Mass -$95.00, looks bigger than a "54cm"

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/b...034625442.html

Last edited by chainwhip; 12-23-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-23-19, 12:38 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
That looks like a 23" or 58.5cm frame, my size btw, and with good upgrades!

Anyone in the tri-state area could get a good deal for a couple hours of driving up the Taconic Pkwy, maybe each way though.
Old 12-23-19, 12:59 PM
BFisher

Also one for sale in Eastern Conneticut:
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/bik...024642807.html

They get all the cool bikes up there!
Old 12-23-19, 05:37 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Its filthy, can't wait to get home to give it a very thorough cleaning, but man I love this bike!

Old 12-23-19, 09:46 PM
novws

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just Picked Up a 1974 Super Course MKii

This morning, I bought a red 74 Super Course MKii because I wanted a bike to ride indoors this winter on my trainer. I previously had a 1980 Grand Prix in the same 23.5” size, which is a great fit for me.

After taking it for a quick spin outdoors I came away very impressed. The bike rides beautifully.

I bought it for $125 because the frame has a fair amount of surface rust and the bike needs new tires soon. The upside is that it was recently tuned and I’m guessing in the late 80s/early 90s someone updated a lot of the components. It has campy record hubs, Shimano cotterless cranks with biopace three rings the largest being 48 tooth, and Deore XT front and rear derailleurs. It also has newer Cinelli bars/quill stem. Still has the original Weimann center pull brakes and the pads also need to be replaced f/r.

Will post pics as soon as I can. Still need to reach the 10 post threshold before I can do that.

-John
Likes For novws:
Old 01-01-20, 04:05 PM
BFisher

I'm slowly disassembling and cleaning up the '73. Found this as I tackled the headset today:

Looks like they went too far when they ground the "flat" (it ain't flat!) in the steerer tube.

I cut the steerer and still had full thread engagement.
Old 01-01-20, 09:50 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Finding cracks in your bike fork can be upsetting, but I believe this is a fairly benign place. I would not hesitate to ride it myself, including rough roads, high-speed downhills etc. Just maybe pull that nut and look at it once in a while -- every few years?

Really makes you wonder about the hamfisted idiot who did that to the steerer though.

I just took the nut off a '71 SC, and I see it has a similar flat done at an angle, though not as overdone as yours. I guess that's just how they did 'em. Must have been 2 seconds faster than doing it right -- how sad.

Sorry I didn't clean the gunk off before taking the picture... Maybe I'll find a crack in mine too, under all that schmutz.

If done right with the file held flat, then the two edges of the flat don't diverge like that.
Someone should tell them!

-Mark
Old 01-09-20, 03:57 PM
BFisher

Alright! The '73 is back together and almost ready for a test ride!

I had a Shimano Altus LT setup in the bin, and went with it. Everything cleaned up very nicely. There are only faint wear lines on the hub cones. The pedals are like new. Heck, the whole bike is like new! This was the first time I wrapped Tressostar tape, and the first time I wrapped cotton top to bottom. I really like the way it came out.

Last edited by BFisher; 01-09-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-09-20, 04:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

BFisher that's great. You made the perfect minimal updates, and it's nice you have such a new bike. My Super Course is anything but new. I still love it.

Old 01-09-20, 04:31 PM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Alright! The '73 is back together and almost ready for a test ride!

I had a Shimano Altus LT setup in the bin, and went with it. Everything cleaned up very nicely. There are only faint wear lines on the hub cones. The pedals are like new. Heck, the whole bike is like new! This was the first time I wrapped Tressostar tape, and the first time I wrapped cotton top to bottom. I really like the way it came out.
What a beauty that is, looks fast just hanging there!
Old 01-09-20, 05:08 PM
BFisher

Thanks, guys. It's looking like rain here for the next couple days, and with the snow and salt already down it'll be a total mess. I'll wait until it clears up to ride this. Hopefully I can get some nice outdoor pics.
Old 01-13-20, 01:02 PM
BFisher

Well, today was the day. I hit a familiar loop this morning after one last check that everything was tightened and ready to go. I live on a hill, and the descent to the main street was smooth. The Weinmann centerpulls on this bike actually surprised me. They are much less flexy and spongy than others I've set up. The pads are some old black Dia Compes that I sanded to freshen up. Stopping was not an issue. But, how was the going?

After a quick adjustment to the front derailleur high limit screw, the going was great! It didn't feel as fast as some of my other bikes, but I attribute that to the wire-bead 27x1 1/4 Continental Ultrasports at 68 psi. Not that I dislike these tires. Quite the opposite. They are very smooth and soak up the bumps nicely. For the price, they're a good value. I did notice that the bike has a very slight pull to the right. I did have to adjust the fork blades a bit when I was building it to get the wheel centered, so I'm not surprised it's still a bit off.

The bottom line is that the praise I've read about the Raleigh Super Course holds true for me. This is a wonderful bicycle. The 90mm Box O' Crap stem has me just where I want to be. The bike weighs 27.4 pounds, but honestly feels lighter than that. It is lively, corners well, climbs well. I had a great first ride on it. Some shots:

Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-13-20, 01:15 PM
jreeves 

Bikes: 1984~85 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Raleigh Super Course, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Well, today was the day. I hit a familiar loop this morning after one last check that everything was tightened and ready to go. I live on a hill, and the descent to the main street was smooth. The Weinmann centerpulls on this bike actually surprised me. They are much less flexy and spongy than others I've set up. The pads are some old black Dia Compes that I sanded to freshen up. Stopping was not an issue. But, how was the going?

After a quick adjustment to the front derailleur high limit screw, the going was great! It didn't feel as fast as some of my other bikes, but I attribute that to the wire-bead 27x1 1/4 Continental Ultrasports at 68 psi. Not that I dislike these tires. Quite the opposite. They are very smooth and soak up the bumps nicely. For the price, they're a good value. I did notice that the bike has a very slight pull to the right. I did have to adjust the fork blades a bit when I was building it to get the wheel centered, so I'm not surprised it's still a bit off.

The bottom line is that the praise I've read about the Raleigh Super Course holds true for me. This is a wonderful bicycle. The 90mm Box O' Crap stem has me just where I want to be. The bike weighs 27.4 pounds, but honestly feels lighter than that. It is lively, corners well, climbs well. I had a great first ride on it. Some shots:
Sure is perty!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.