Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Guess the price

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 09:05 PM
1Wheelie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess the price

Hi! I'm interested in buying a vintage Achielle Single Speed Cruiser I spent the last hour trying to find how much this bike is worth. Does anyone have an idea how much this bike goes for??

Frame looks like in good condition with some rock chips. Schwalbe Marathon Plus; 700x35C tires. Original Brooks seat and handle grips. Doesnt look like it has any hand brakes.
Old 12-14-19, 03:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
One of these?
https://rothar.ie/products/achielle-sam
Old 12-14-19, 05:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,435 Times in 2,761 Posts
Vintage?? What is the seller asking for it?
Old 12-14-19, 08:33 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
This bike?
Old 12-14-19, 08:47 AM
1Wheelie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Vintage?? What is the seller asking for it?
Sorry maybe vintage is not the word but probably classic? its sitting at a local auction right now.
Old 12-14-19, 06:50 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Wheelie
Hi! I'm interested in buying a vintage Achielle Single Speed Cruiser I spent the last hour trying to find how much this bike is worth. Does anyone have an idea how much this bike goes for??

Frame looks like in good condition with some rock chips. Schwalbe Marathon Plus; 700x35C tires. Original Brooks seat and handle grips. Doesnt look like it has any hand brakes.
You can see the coaster brake reaction arm in the pics.
Old 12-15-19, 10:17 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I hope you live in a flat area. Going up any type of hill on a heavy single speed will be difficult.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-16-19, 06:56 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
A more important question to ask is "What is it worth to you?" That is the price you should pay.
Old 12-17-19, 08:02 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

Find a suitable, similar replacement single speed in your area that you can buy. Or a few of them. They represent the substitute value of that bike to you. Their average price should be your target price for the auction bike. Unless you factor in some premium for its aesthetics or quality, then add that and price accordingly.
Old 12-17-19, 08:58 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
If it's the police auction bike, then the go ahead and bid on it. The bike looks to be in very nice shape. Too bad about the scuff marks on the Brooks. That is a big frame, you would have to be over 6 feet to ride it I would think. For this time of year, up here in Ontario with three weeks of snow and cold already behind us, I would not want to go over 150 for it. Then again, being a single speed, I would not want it at all.
Old 12-20-19, 11:48 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
If it's the police auction bike, then the go ahead and bid on it. The bike looks to be in very nice shape. Too bad about the scuff marks on the Brooks. That is a big frame, you would have to be over 6 feet to ride it I would think. For this time of year, up here in Ontario with three weeks of snow and cold already behind us, I would not want to go over 150 for it. Then again, being a single speed, I would not want it at all.
The police auction bike already has a bid of $276.75, I would have bailed long ago
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 12-21-19, 11:47 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Not a fan of Achielle. They were quite fashionable here about 4 years ago, but they weren't the sturdy reliable bikes they look to be and were priced at. Maybe the (young) company has improved by now, I don't want to be unfair to them, but this is a used one. I've heard complaints about rust, excessive mechanical drag and rear racks that only look like they could carry a passenger.
Old 01-06-20, 01:29 AM
onepusher

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Price

What's the price of the bike now? We need to know!
Old 01-06-20, 02:25 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
What is it worth? Very subjective question. Some of my bikes weren't worth anything to the previous owner, because they threw them away, and I retrieved them from the metal pile. but I don't intend to sell them soon, so for a while they are priceless, in a sense. I think the OP doesn't want to overpay for something he'd like to have, but might be able to get for less.