Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Marin and Performance bike Scammed Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 10:19 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
Why should he do this? It not the fault of the bike manufacturer, not where he bought it from, not CC company. Someone hit the bike with something or maybe it got knocked over by someone where he works and it hit something.
The c/c insurance is for damage from ANY reason. If you buy a smartphone and drop it during the first 90 days, many cards will provide reimbursement. I'm not getting into the cause of the dent, plenty of opinions on that here already. I am just trying to provide the OP with an option he may not be aware of. It's insurance, neither Marin nor Performance take a hit, it's NOT a chargeback.

OP - if your c/c does not offer that insurance, then I suggest buying a nice looking padded top tube cover. If you can't see it, eventually it won't drive you crazy to see the new dent in your new bike. Consensus seems to be it won't affect the ride. So cover it up and protect it (maybe do that anyway since this happened) and go ride.

Last edited by linberl; 03-10-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 10:21 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by nzhu
You guys don't get the circumstance.

It wasn't that I walked into my office and saw the dent. . . .
Just because you didn't notice it, doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Consider that possibility.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-10-18, 10:24 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts

I’m trying to figure it out, but the best I can come up with is that where I work is usually around 75 degrees. That night 2 days ago was freezing. So when I took my warm bike into the cold weather, it created a vaccum on the inside that caused the soft aluminum to implode on that spot as I sat on the saddle and rode it.
I take it that you are not a scientist.

Your frame is not airtight, and hence there is no possibility of creating a vacuum inside the frame tubes. The temperature of air inside the frame will be roughly the same as the temperature of the air outside the frame. In other words, your theory is about as airtight as your frame.

Something impacted your frame, and you noticed it while getting your fast food fix. Don't blame Marin, and don't blame Performance Bike. It's not their fault.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-10-18 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 10:26 AM
nzhu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Just because you didn't notice it, doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Consider that possibility.
If there was a possibility I'd consider it. But I wrote a whole paragraph on what it's not.
Old 03-10-18, 10:29 AM
nzhu

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I take it that you are not a scientist.

Your frame is not airtight, and hence there is no possibility of creating a vacuum inside the frame tubes. The temperature of air inside the frame will be roughly the same as the temperature of the air outside the frame.

Something impacted your frame, and you noticed it while getting your fast food fix. Don't blame Marin, and don't blame Performance Bike. It's not their fault.
Actually I am a scientist. But scientists are very diverse.
But like I said, the pressure thing was just a suggestion that I didn't take seriously. I didn't know bike tubes weren't air tight. But metal can contract/expand making it weaker without being airtight. But Like I said, I don't know how it happened.

And again, wrong assumption. I didn't go into Wendy's and notice the dent afterwards. I got off to roll the bike over to Wendy's BEFORE entering Wendy's. I noticed the bump before Wendy's sidewalk.

You all like to make dumb assumptions about me and my circumstance all of which aren't true. And if you read my posts instead of skipping to the picture you'd know.

Last edited by nzhu; 03-10-18 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 10:32 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

You all like to make dumb assumptions about me and my circumstance all of which aren't true.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-10-18, 10:40 AM
Koyote

But like I said, the pressure thing was just a suggestion that I didn't take seriously. I didn't know bike tubes weren't air tight. Like I said, I don't know how it happened.

And again, wrong assumption. I didn't go into Wendy's and notice the dent afterwards. I got off to roll the bike over to Wendy's BEFORE entering Wendy's. I noticed the bump before Wendy's sidewalk.

You all like to make dumb assumptions about me and my circumstance all of which aren't true. And if you read my damn posts instead of skipping to the picture you'd know.
If you don't seriously believe the theory about air temps and a vacuum, then you have no explanation for the damage. So why not just follow Occam's Razor and go with a theory that involves the fewest assumptions? Especially since plenty of posters (including me) think that it looks like an impact dent?

I understand that you are pissed. Someone stole your bike, then you got a new one and it got dented. I'd be pissed, too. But you have plenty of experienced people here telling you that bike frame tubes don't just spontaneously develop dents. I've owned plenty of bikes, and spent some years managing a fleet of rental bikes -- dozens of 'em, all with aluminum frames, and used in all kinds of weather - including going in and out of heated buildings in winter. Hell, I still own one of those bikes, and routinely park it indoors, then take it out in sub-freezing temps, then back indoors. No dents.
Old 03-10-18, 10:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You all like to make dumb assumptions about me and my circumstance all of which aren't true. And if you read my posts instead of skipping to the picture you'd know.
Sorry your bike got dented but the responses you've read on this forum are the same as you'd receive from any reasonable cyclist.

Occam's razor says your top tube was dented when you weren't watching it. You didn't notice it until later. No manuf would warranty that dent.
Old 03-10-18, 10:48 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
But like I said, the pressure thing was just a suggestion that I didn't take seriously. I didn't know bike tubes weren't air tight. But metal can contract/expand making it weaker without being airtight. But Like I said, I don't know how it happened.

If the dent occurred while you were riding, and it has fairly sharp edges that rule out being caused by air pressure, then the only think left is that a bullet must have ricocheted of the top tube while you were riding.

So then the question is - was someone trying to kill you, or was it just a stray bullet?
Old 03-10-18, 11:30 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
You guys don't get the circumstance.

It wasn't that I walked into my office and saw the dent. It was perfectly fine at that point still. From that point on I never lost sight of it. I rolled it out the front door. No issues. Then rode on paved road 2 miles, got off and the dent was there.

This isn't a dent out of many possible circumstances over the course of days or weeks. Everything happened in that 15 minute ride.
I can't grow an apple tree if I'm only given orange seeds! There's literally nothing on that ride that could have dented it!
Maybe your bike was the victim of a drive by shooting

Dang kontact you beat me to it.

Last edited by Bmach; 03-10-18 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 11:38 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
The c/c insurance is for damage from ANY reason. If you buy a smartphone and drop it during the first 90 days, many cards will provide reimbursement. I'm not getting into the cause of the dent, plenty of opinions on that here already. I am just trying to provide the OP with an option he may not be aware of. It's insurance, neither Marin nor Performance take a hit, it's NOT a chargeback.
This is great advice. Chase Visa for example has this protection for 120 days after purchase. Hopefully OP has something similar available.
Old 03-10-18, 11:44 AM
Bmach

The way he is acting, I hope he is not covered.
Old 03-10-18, 11:47 AM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I bet the bike rides exactly the same with or without that impact dent...
Old 03-10-18, 11:48 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
This is insane, certifiable.
It has all the hallmarks, and I ain't talking about the cheesy greeting cards.

A good scientist favors the explanation with the fewest ad hoc assumptions.

Clearly, William of Occam snuck into the O.P.'s office and smited the top-tube with a cone wrench perpendicular to the axis of the high-vaccuum sealed top tube.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 03-10-18 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 11:51 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
The way he is acting, I hope he is not covered.
Obviously I would never tell you how to feel, but...have you never had a bright shiny new toy or car and had that first scratch or dent? However it happens, it's always upsetting. What I got from the post is the OP does not know how it happened and he's just reaching for an answer to explain something he personally did not cause. However it happened, I hope he can get it replaced, fixed or move on. No reason to be mean about it....
Old 03-10-18, 11:58 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by linberl
Obviously I would never tell you how to feel, but...have you never had a bright shiny new toy or car and had that first scratch or dent? However it happens, it's always upsetting. What I got from the post is the OP does not know how it happened and he's just reaching for an answer to explain something he personally did not cause. However it happened, I hope he can get it replaced, fixed or move on. No reason to be mean about it....
The OP has responded sharply to some other posters who merely pointed out the obvious. So I don't think you can blame people for being a little snarky in their responses.

And by the way, I have (a) dented a new car right after making the first payment, (b) dropped a freshly-repaired camera rig (worth about $1200) from a twelve-foot riser, and (c) wrecked a whole lot of other stuff in my many years on the planet. And I never blamed the object itself, nor its manufacturer or seller. Claiming that P-Bike and Marin "scammed" him/her is ludicrous and deserves to be treated as such.
Old 03-10-18, 11:58 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Uh, yeah, I've had bikes stolen and that sucks but I didn't transfer that angst forward in life nor towards a bike shop. Not too long ago I actually bought an old bike that came to me with a pre installed top tube dent that I will be riding for the rest of my life if it doesn't get stolen.
Old 03-10-18, 12:06 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
And yes, the credit card thing is not disingenuous at all to take advantage of it is simply insurance provided by the credit card company as a perk. I make most all large purchases by credit card even if I have the cash up front to take advantage of these perks.
Old 03-10-18, 01:46 PM
Bmach

Np. You're still wrong though.

If riding on normal road is enough to make an "impact dent" and thus voids any claims of defect, then this is an institutionalized scam. But I don't think that's the case. I still think this is a defect with this particular bike like it's made of tin foil.

Temperature was just a suggestion. I can't explain what happened. I just know the circumstance. And there was no circumstance of any impact.

But does this dent make the bike dangerous to ride?
Linberl, I was the first one to respond to the op and that was his reply to me. Maybe that has a lot to do with why I said what I did.
Old 03-10-18, 03:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Space debris?
Old 03-10-18, 04:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Higgs Boson-mediated spontaneous symmetry breaking.
Old 03-10-18, 05:20 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
I think the Marin/Performance consortium are trying to kill the OP.
Old 03-10-18, 07:22 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As someone else said, the bike will ride the same. My bike has more than one similar dents. Just ignore the dent and ride the bike, OP. You bought it to ride, right? I'd ride the bike the stop trying cause grief for Performance and Marin, they had nothing to do with this.
Old 03-10-18, 07:51 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Higgs Boson-mediated spontaneous symmetry breaking.
I think I've heard of that somewhere,,,,,
Old 03-10-18, 07:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Watch out riding through those microscopic black holes. You should feel lucky it just collapsed part of the top tube. It could have been much worse...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.