Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated my inner tube

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I may have SLIGHTLY over inflated my inner tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 01:39 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
If there was no pinching then you might have had a tube too narrow for the tire.
Note to everyone else trying to diagnose this issue (despite no one asking you to)...

Darth Lefty is smarter than all of you.

The tube was a size too small.

I put it in 2 years ago as an emergency tube when it was all I had handy. I went to the store to buy the proper tube the next day and never bothered to switch them. I've kinda known it was a matter of time since then but figured 'screw it'.

The smaller tube finally gave out due to overinflation this morning. And the replacement tube I bought 2 years ago is going on the bike.

Everyone else assumed they knew the relevant data points. No one did. On Darth Lefty was humble enough to say 'if' and not declare he knew everything.
Old 05-08-19, 01:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Humble, that's me.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-08-19, 02:02 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Most likely underinflated and resulting pinch flat. That happened to me once.
Old 05-08-19, 02:14 PM
Skipjacks

Humble, that's me.
The humility is strong with this one.
Old 05-08-19, 02:16 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The bot was wrong again.
Old 05-08-19, 02:23 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Guess I know what I'm doing at lunch time.
Guess you didn't know what you were doing this morning...
Old 05-08-19, 02:26 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

The bot bob poster above you (literally a computer makes those posts from that account, not a real person) did not correctly diagnose this.
fify
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 05-08-19, 02:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
That bang is insanely startling. Had one happen in the middle of the night, and suffice to say I couldn't get back to sleep right away...
I was once woken up by more of a 'boom' in the middle of the night, but figured it was a short, sharp earthquake and went back to sleep. In the morning I found that in the downstairs bathroom cabinet (where I store my brewing projects) a 2L bottle of Ginger Bug Lemonade that I had let go too long (like 3-4wk) assploded and there was sugary gook all over the entire bathroom
Old 05-08-19, 02:57 PM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Guess you didn't know what you were doing this morning...

Well played.
Old 05-08-19, 07:43 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I had one blow up when the cats and I were in the living room and the bike was in the spare bedroom. We were all startled, but I recognized the sound and sure enough a tire was flat. I don't remember just why it failed, but it definitely did.
Old 05-08-19, 08:38 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
This thread is the best piece of pure entertainment I've come across today.

Of course, I don't get out much and have antenna TV, so . . .
Old 05-09-19, 07:58 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by FiftySix
This thread is the best piece of pure entertainment I've come across today.

Of course, I don't get out much and have antenna TV, so . . .
Don't forget...the 7:30 show is completely different than the 4:30 show. Get your tickets now!
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-09-19, 08:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Nope, this is not what happened.

The bot poster above you (literally a computer makes those posts from that account, not a real person) did not correctly diagnose this. It was not pinched in the bead. It was overinflation combined with a failed seem.

It's really hard to imagine how that's the only cause of the explosion. The tube doesn't stretch any more at the seam from over-inflation, unless the tire moves off the bead. It was either pinched, or something inside the tube or on the rim was pressing against the tube.
Old 05-09-19, 08:14 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by wphamilton
It's really hard to imagine how that's the only cause of the explosion. The tube doesn't stretch any more at the seam from over-inflation, unless the tire moves off the bead. It was either pinched, or something inside the tube or on the rim was pressing against the tube.
Seriously?

Another one who hasn't seen the tube, touched the tire, looked at a single piece of the evidence who's telling the person who did inspect all those elements that he didn't see what he saw?

And all of you just ignore simplest explanations like a tube just having a weak point that was worn out and exploited by being overpressured?

Because a $6 rubber inner tube that's too small and god only knows how old (seriously I have no idea...don't even know where I got it) is infallible, right? It MUST be something else?

Rubber never dries out and loses it's elasticity over time, causing weak points to be weaker. That never happens.....

Old 05-09-19, 08:29 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Maybe you should post a pic of the long linear tear along the seam to exonerate yourself.

Speaking of seams, I patched 3 holes last week, why are they always within 1mm of a seam! Why do tube manufacturers put the seam directly on the outside (where punctures are most likely), instead of like 45deg off? (Maybe it's to discourage patching and encouraging buying more tubes?)
Old 05-09-19, 08:33 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
Seriously?

Another one who hasn't seen the tube, touched the tire, looked at a single piece of the evidence who's telling the person who did inspect all those elements that he didn't see what he saw?

And all of you just ignore simplest explanations like a tube just having a weak point that was worn out and exploited by being overpressured?

Because a $6 rubber inner tube that's too small and god only knows how old (seriously I have no idea...don't even know where I got it) is infallible, right? It MUST be something else?

Rubber never dries out and loses it's elasticity over time, causing weak points to be weaker. That never happens.....

The thing is, the wall of the tube has to stretch to fail the way you're describing. If the tire didn't move, the tube has nowhere to stretch to. You're right that none of us can see what you have seen, but I had the exact same thought as several other posters here. It just makes way more sense that the tire came unseated before your catastrophic tube failure. Or there was some other defect allowing the tube to bulge somewhere.
Old 05-09-19, 09:01 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by clengman
The thing is, the wall of the tube has to stretch to fail the way you're describing. If the tire didn't move, the tube has nowhere to stretch to. You're right that none of us can see what you have seen, but I had the exact same thought as several other posters here. It just makes way more sense that the tire came unseated before your catastrophic tube failure. Or there was some other defect allowing the tube to bulge somewhere.
It also makes sense that the tube just had a weak spot.

It was old. This is an actual thing that happens to rubber. I swear I'm not making this up. Rubber gets old and brittle. I could even feel the rubber near the seem rip was tougher and less pliable.

People, it's just an old tube that was undersized for the tire it was in. It had a weak spot that failed.

The thread was about the loud bang. It was funny! I didn't even tell you all the part about the woman from the office next door asking if I had a nail gun! It's funny stuff!

Laugh! Enjoy! Don't over-analyze it!

Life's too short for this.
Old 05-09-19, 09:12 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I had just moved into my townhome when in the middle of the night I heard that BANG! I had no idea where it came from. I checked the basement, everything seemed fine.
Several days later when I when to inflate the tires on my bike, The stem was gone on my back tire. I thought WTH! Then it dawned on me that BANG I heard was the stem blowing off.
I was in my GF's studio apartment when mine happened, so I had a lot less space to search for the culprit (and one big box for the sound to reverberate in).

The tube was a size too small.

I put it in 2 years ago as an emergency tube when it was all I had handy.
Just yesterday I got some new tires in a much bigger size than I normally use. Being a very smart person, I ordered tubes from a completely different website, and so they haven't arrived yet. I considered using some of the smaller tubes I have on hand, but was worried about this exact issue. Thanks for learning that lesson for me.

Humble, that's me.
I think the (annoying) kids call this "humble-bragging"
Old 05-09-19, 09:21 AM
Skipjacks

I think the (annoying) kids call this "humble-bragging"
Well of course it is.

But it's the proper way to brag so you get to both brag and not sound like a ****** while doing it.

Take notes, people. That is how it's done.
Old 05-09-19, 09:26 AM
Skipjacks

Just yesterday I got some new tires in a much bigger size than I normally use. Being a very smart person, I ordered tubes from a completely different website, and so they haven't arrived yet. I considered using some of the smaller tubes I have on hand, but was worried about this exact issue. Thanks for learning that lesson for me.
I need to stress that the tube I used was of an unknown age and unknown source. I used it because it's what I had.

Even then it took 2 years to fail.

If it was a new tube at the time and in a box and I hadn't way overfilled it yesterday it would probably still be fine today. Some people use smaller tubes all the time and they work.
Old 05-09-19, 09:43 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Seriously?

It could be worn out, but how is that dependent on overpressure? It would likely go at that time regardless. You're missing the point, that probably wasn't anything to do with too much pressure. It doesn't cause tubes to blow, not unless the tube can expand or something is pressing into it. We don't have to see the tube to know that.

Not that it matters either way. I just thought you might like to know.
Old 05-09-19, 09:43 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The flat I mentioned was right by the stem on an older tube, and likely failed after being inflated too many times. And the hole was too big to patch, so I just put a new one in.
Old 05-09-19, 10:04 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I had one blow up when the cats and I were in the living room and the bike was in the spare bedroom. We were all startled, but I recognized the sound and sure enough a tire was flat. I don't remember just why it failed, but it definitely did.
How deep are the claw marks in the ceiling?
Old 05-09-19, 10:12 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by no motor?
The flat I mentioned was right by the stem on an older tube, and likely failed after being inflated too many times. And the hole was too big to patch, so I just put a new one in.
I don't understand patching tubes as a matter of practice.

I understand it when I'm on the side of the road and don't feel like walking home. But I don't understand patching tubes until the tube is more patch than original.

Tubes are cheap. I can always find a use for an old one. I just don't get riding on tubes with 15 patches on them.

Maybe it's because I blow a tube about once a year across both my bikes and my kids' bikes and its just cheap to replace one. Maybe if I lived in a place with goat heads and cactus needles and nails everywhere and had a punctured tube every other week like some people it would get expensive to be constantly replacing tubes.

Does anyone here patch them until you can no longer see any of the original rubber?
Old 05-09-19, 10:24 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I picked up a load of new tubes from Performance on their last day. 90% off, so like 70 cents each. They will hopefully last 10 years in the box, because I bought quite a few.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.