Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

ANT+ Cadence Sensor With Static ID

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

ANT+ Cadence Sensor With Static ID

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 08:14 AM
vkonradi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ANT+ Cadence Sensor (Magnet Type) With Static Device ID

I need a ANT+ cadence sensor with a fixed ID. It needs to be persistent through power cycles, i.e through battery removal and replacement. It should be a magnet-sensing type, using a reed switch.

It seems common practice to randomize the ID at power-up. Probably so the manufacturer doesn't have to individually program each device on the manufacturing line. Makes sense but doesn't work for my project.

Any experience with this? Do you have a cadence sensor with ID which doesn't need to be re-learned after battery replacement? Thanks!

Last edited by vkonradi; 11-07-19 at 12:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-07-19, 08:23 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Never heard of this before and I've never had to re-pair my Wahoo cadence sensor when I replaced the battery.
Old 11-07-19, 09:03 AM
vkonradi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know. Are you using the Wahoo in ANT+ or BLE mode?
Old 11-07-19, 09:13 AM
vkonradi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Edited my original post: It should be a magnet-sensing type, using a reed relay.
Old 11-07-19, 12:53 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Never heard of this before and I've never had to re-pair my Wahoo cadence sensor when I replaced the battery.
I haven't had to re-pair my Bontrager DuoTrap cadence/speed sensor. My Wahoo Tickr, which is paired to my phone with BT has a unique BT identifier (I actually have two, because I had lost one temporarily, and it has a different identifier).

I have no idea if it uses a reed relay or not.
Old 11-07-19, 12:57 PM
Secret Squirrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
A reed switch requires a magnet to trip it. You can hear the "pling" when a magnet comes within range. All of my ANT+ sensors (Wahoo, Cateye, and Garmin ) have a unique address to pair to.
Old 11-21-19, 06:35 PM
vkonradi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchased and tested a Bontrager Interchange cadence sensor. Confirming it appears to power up with the same ID after a battery change. My initial test was with a Niterider Rebel cadence sensor which definitely rolled its ID on a battery change.
Old 11-27-19, 03:52 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
All my ANT+ sensors come up with the same ID whenever I pair them.

Curious, why does it have to be the magnet sensing cadence sensor? As long as it's a new sensor, why wouldn't you want to get rid of the external magnet issue?
Old 11-27-19, 06:34 PM
vkonradi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm mashing up anemometers with cadence sensors. The resultant unit reports air speed on the cadence channel. I'm doing aerodynamic drag testing so I care about air speed, not cadence. I log that "cadence", a well-known value to all sorts of cycle computers, and post-process the logged cadence to obtain airspeed.

An old-style cadence sensor interfaces to a simple digital input, a magnetic reed switch. The anemometer interface into that cadence sensor is (relatively) trivial. A new style magnet-less sensors use an accelerometer to infer orientation, and there is not an obvious way to fool them with a different input.

My test bikes are all equipped with legacy wired or ANT+ Powertaps acquired at reasonable prices. For drag testing, important to know power at the wheel, not at the crank. Were I to move to BT, Weather Meter anemometer is supported by CdaCrr app, looks pretty cool. Anyone have experience with that combo?
Old 11-28-19, 09:16 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by vkonradi
I'm mashing up anemometers with cadence sensors. The resultant unit reports air speed on the cadence channel. I'm doing aerodynamic drag testing so I care about air speed, not cadence. I log that "cadence", a well-known value to all sorts of cycle computers, and post-process the logged cadence to obtain airspeed.

An old-style cadence sensor interfaces to a simple digital input, a magnetic reed switch. The anemometer interface into that cadence sensor is (relatively) trivial. A new style magnet-less sensors use an accelerometer to infer orientation, and there is not an obvious way to fool them with a different input.

My test bikes are all equipped with legacy wired or ANT+ Powertaps acquired at reasonable prices. For drag testing, important to know power at the wheel, not at the crank. Were I to move to BT, Weather Meter anemometer is supported by CdaCrr app, looks pretty cool. Anyone have experience with that combo?
I never would have guessed that application in a million years but I see now why you need that.