Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ultrasonic Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 07:26 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Water in the ultrasonic cleaner. Throw the parts in a ziplock bag with simple green or your preferred cleaner/degreaser ( try to remove as much of the air that you can). Throw the bag in the water in the Ultrasonic. That way you never have to clean the ultrasonic cleaner.
Likes For Glenn6870:
Old 11-21-19, 11:42 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
OK - an update. I picked up a gallon of Simple Green Pro Heavy Duty (purple color) and dropped the headset of my 1987 Centurion Ironman (Miami Vice) into a Ziploc bag as suggested. Because the headset was caked with hardened grease, I did a bit of scraping and cleaning before hand. I used a 3/1 solution (water/SG), set the unit to 150 degrees for 30 minutes, and let it ride. Worked really well - totally cleaned the headset, and the machine stayed clean and grime-free. The parts are cleaner than I could have gotten them by hand. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Old 11-23-19, 02:52 PM
lapola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far, I’ve just used Dawn dishwashing detergent and am looking at trying Simple Green, but before I go that route, I figured I’d check here for and other suggestions. What experiences have you had with these cleaners? Thanks!
Old 11-23-19, 04:42 PM
rmwesley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I use citrus degreaser in a Ziploc bag with chain, components etc. Heat to 45*C and blast for 3 x 3 mins. It’s so clean you could eat your dinner off it when it comes out.

Also found out the hard way it removes anodising though
Old 11-23-19, 05:52 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by rmwesley
I use citrus degreaser in a Ziploc bag with chain, components etc. Heat to 45*C and blast for 3 x 3 mins. It’s so clean you could eat your dinner off it when it comes out.

Also found out the hard way it removes anodising though
I used citrus cleaner years ago until I learned (the hard way) that it is hell on plastic and rubber.
I had to uninstall/reinstall my garbage disposal to replace the rubber collar.
Old 11-23-19, 09:18 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
How much degreaser do you add to the water?
Old 11-23-19, 11:20 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have used dilute Simple Green for years. I usually only use it on my chain, but is does a great job.
Old 11-23-19, 11:31 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT
How much degreaser do you add to the water?
As I mentioned, I used a small Ziploc bag with a solution of one part Simple Green and three parts hot water. I filled the bag about 3/4 full and squeezed out the air. Then I dropped that into the ultrasonic cleaner for 30 minutes at 150 degrees Fahrenheit. When I was done, I just set the solution aside to settle and emptied the machine - no cleaning up! I’ll do the bottom bracket like this next.
Old 12-01-19, 05:48 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I haven't bought an ultrasonic cleaner. What I do is fill a square large mouth plastic peanut jar with a couple inches of paint thinner , throw in the small parts, then shake it for a couple minutes. Then I put it in the kitchen sink( with a strainer in the drain for safety), squirt some dawn dish soap on it, and scrub with a tooth brush. After everything is clean I will squirt a little wd40 on everything and then put in plastic bag till I need it. so far this has worked for me
Old 12-11-19, 07:21 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
When I am cleaning parts in my ultrasonic cleaner, I use water in the tank and use jars holding the parts and the various cleaning solutions.