Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Chainring-driven generator?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Chainring-driven generator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 07:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
A quick update - today on an exercise ride I rode my rando bike for 71 minutes with the light off, Sinewave Revolution USB charger putting power into my V44 pass through cache battery. That 71 minutes was measured by an in-line USB meter that measured 598 milliamp hours pushed into my battery pack. Hub was SP PV8. Average speed was in the mid teens in MPH, but I do not want to get more specific than that because part of my ride was with the light on and during that time I disconnected the battery pack, thus I did not measure speed during only the charging test. Assuming 5 volts on the Sinewave, that would mean that I averaged 2.52 watts while moving. Bike touring where I would have slower uphills and be stopped occasionally, as I noted above I thought that 2 watts of output on the USB charger is probably a better estimate for day in and day out bike touring. I still think that 2 watt average is a good number for USB power produced with lights off from a dynohub while touring.

I think I mentioned above that some have used a Forumslader (spell?) that can produce more USB power than the Sinewave Revolution.

I also have two lights with built in USB chargers that can convert dynohub power to USB power, the AXA Luxx 70 Plus and the B&M Luxos U. I think the AXA puts out a little less power than the Sinewave, but I am not going to do a measurement on that. The Luxos U has a small internal pass through cache battery which would make it difficult to measure how much that produces since the battery state may change during a test. And I am not enthusiastic about taking my Luxos U apart to isolate the battery.

I bought the Sinewave Revolution for touring because I think it had better waterproofing than all other USB chargers as of when I bought it in early 2016. I plan to continue to rely on the Sinewave for future touring instead of one of the other options.

Photo of part of my rando bike, the Sinewave Revolution is the white thing on my handlebar bag bracket, conveniently located so i can run a cable from it to my pass through cache battery which is in the handlebar bag. And if you are interested, my B&M IQ-XS headlight is below the handlebar bag, I used the optional extra tall mount and bent the mount a bit to get the light above the fender to minimize shadow.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 12-09-19 at 05:35 AM.