Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

an incident with a woman in a car

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 07:29 AM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was biking around my village doing chores. As I turn into a street a woman in a car with a phone in her hand is coming towards me.

I simply make the telephone gesture with my hand ... hand closed, thumb and little finger extended.

I don't care if she talks on the phone, I just don't want her to do that while I'm in her vicinity.

She stops her car, opens her door, and proceeds to yell at me stating what she does is her business. She opened and closed the door twice, yelling each time.

I didn't say one word, I didn't have a chance. I only wish I had this incident on video. I would upload it to YouTube and let everyone view it.

I really just wanted to tell her that she has very low emotional intelligence. I guess I'll have to wait until the next time.

... and to keep everyone happy, it should be mentioned that driving while holding a cell phone is illegal here, hand free is not.

Last edited by Dave Horne; 10-28-14 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-27-14, 07:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A topic for Advocacy and Safety:
Advocacy & Safety
Old 10-27-14, 07:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Self centered, arrogant and feeling privileged.

Still say turning the Ignition on, should block cell phone reception and transmission ..
Old 10-27-14, 08:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
yeah ppl in cars don't like being criticized. when cops do it they have to take it, but when a civilian does it, years of rage come boiling up. I'm surprised that women have such rage, I used to think it was just men who went berzerk
Old 10-27-14, 09:06 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Too bad you had no video camera. After putting it on youtube, Put it on a flashdrive in case you see her again. Just give her the flashdrive. Or a link to the video.
Old 10-27-14, 09:26 AM
Cycle_of_life

Bikes: Trek 820 Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Still say turning the Ignition on, should block cell phone reception and transmission ..
I agree with you on this 100%.

Dave Horne, as much as you would have liked to video tape this woman, I think you did the correct thing by remaining silent.

If a stranger has this much anger penned up inside them, my advice is to walk away. Some people such as this woman are just looking for a confrontation.

Mike
Old 10-27-14, 09:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

hey it just occurred to me that this original post may be sexist, even if inadvertently. what does it matter the sex of the person in the car?
Old 10-27-14, 09:29 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It's times like this, that I love having a badge.......................... LOL
Old 10-27-14, 09:30 AM
rumrunn6

it's good I don't, I would be such a dumbass. how do you restrain yourself
Old 10-27-14, 09:54 AM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I was biking around my village doing chores. As I turn into a street a woman in a car with a phone in her hand is coming towards me.

I simply make the telephone gesture with my hand ... hand closed, thumb and little finger extended.

I don't care if she talks on the phone, I just don't want her to do that while I'm in her vicinity.

She stops her car, opens her door, and proceeds to yell at me stating what she does is her business. She opened and closed the door twice, yelling each time.

I didn't say one word, I didn't have a chance. I only wish I had this incident on video. I would upload it to YouTube and let everyone view it.

I really just wanted to tell her that she has very low emotional intelligence. I guess I'll have to wait until the next time.
Love already.
Old 10-27-14, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Both Genders can be and are, jerks behind the wheel . the car that would hit you has no sexual orientation.

If Using a mobile phone is illegal and they are a hazard , write down the licence number and report them to the Police ..

and be willing to testify in court if they get pulled over, again this time by the traffic patrol,
so the multiple offense nature of their traffic Code violation is evidenced.

so what is 'Shut up and Drive!" in Dutch/Flemish?

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-27-14 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-27-14, 10:18 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I would have said, "I was just asking you to call me."
Old 10-27-14, 10:35 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

And also lock out the radio, GPS, and conversation with others in the car, prevent coffee and drinks and other food stuffs from entering the car. We should tear down all billboards and extraneous road signs and an alarm should sound if your eyes are not tracking on the road. After that, we may be a bit safer.
Old 10-27-14, 10:40 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Show 'em my badge, and inform them that one telephone call, with their license number, will result in a $250 ticket, plus court costs. You would be amazed how fast they hang up!
Old 10-27-14, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

... or put every one on the Bus, the bus service would certainly be forced to improve !
Old 10-27-14, 11:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts

What do you want to tell people that don't mind their own business and make informational hand gestures to strangers on the street?
Old 10-27-14, 11:05 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hey it just occurred to me that this original post may be sexist, even if inadvertently. what does it matter the sex of the person in the car?
So your point is....? Driving and phone use is gender neutral
Old 10-27-14, 11:07 AM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What do you want to tell people that don't mind their own business and make informational hand gestures to strangers on the street?
If I were surrounded by a box of metal and air bags, I probably wouldn't care as much.

Since I'm on a bicycle and quite vulnerable, I have no problem asking those surrounded by metal and air bags to be ever so slightly considerate of pedestrians and bicyclists.
Old 10-27-14, 11:28 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I were surrounded by a box of metal and air bags, I probably wouldn't care as much.

Since I'm on a bicycle and quite vulnerable, I have no problem asking those surrounded by metal and air bags to be ever so slightly considerate of pedestrians and bicyclists.
A choice was made by you on what level of safety equipped vehicle you entered the street with. It sounds like you made a choice to go out there with the cars on your bike. No problem with that at all. But is it really fair for you to make gestures at drivers who made the safer choice? Do they really need your input on what they do in their vehicles because of your choice of vehicle? What if they gestured at you to change how you rode your bicycle? Would you be thankful for their input?
Old 10-27-14, 11:31 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Moved from General to A&S
Old 10-27-14, 11:38 AM
Dave Horne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
A choice was made by you on what level of safety equipped vehicle you entered the street with. It sounds like you made a choice to go out there with the cars on your bike. No problem with that at all. But is it really fair for you to make gestures at drivers who made the safer choice? Do they really need your input on what they do in their vehicles because of your choice of vehicle? What if they gestured at you to change how you rode your bicycle? Would you be thankful for their input?
In the Netherlands we - cars and bikes - share the road.

If I were riding my bike in an unsafe manner and someone commented either vocally or by gesture, I would admit I was in the wrong. I would not stop and shout back thus showing my lack of emotional intelligence.

This woman was in the wrong.

Let me repeat this - we share the road in the Netherlands. There are more bicycles here than people. Those who drive cars have been riding bikes for at least ten years prior to their mandatory driving instruction are aware of the rules.
Old 10-27-14, 11:39 AM
Dave Horne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Moved from General to A&S
I wish you wouldn't have done that.
Old 10-27-14, 11:52 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In the Netherlands...
Is it illegal to drive and talk on the phone there?

Here it is not... yet.
Old 10-27-14, 12:04 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Show 'em my badge, and inform them that one telephone call, with their license number, will result in a $250 ticket, plus court costs. You would be amazed how fast they hang up!
Badges.....we don'd need no stinkin badges.
Old 10-27-14, 12:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
In the Netherlands we - cars and bikes - share the road.

If I were riding my bike in an unsafe manner and someone commented either vocally or by gesture, I would admit I was in the wrong. I would not stop and shout back thus showing my lack of emotional intelligence.

This woman was in the wrong.

Let me repeat this - we share the road in the Netherlands. There are more bicycles here than people. Those who drive cars have been riding bikes for at least ten years prior to their mandatory driving instruction are aware of the rules.
How was this woman not sharing the road with you?
Who initiated the discussion and what makes you think your non verbal gestures would be received in a positive light? Could she not have interpreted your gesture as an unwanted attempt to call her up or hit on her in some way? After all, gratuitous informational gestures from strangers are seldom received in a positive light.

Even if cell phone use is illegal in NL (is it?) who appointed you to be Officer Friendly? Do you gesture at every other motorist you see who does not comply with the traffic code?

BTW, what do you think of motorists who furnish informational signaling and gestures aimed at cyclists on the road for the alleged purpose of improving highway safety as viewed by the motorists?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.