Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Metric Century used to be called 62 miles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 04:42 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

When did a 62 mile ride start being called a metric century?
Old 06-05-18, 04:49 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
When it became a nice mile^H^H^H^H kilometerstone to accomplish. Who would have set out with the goal of riding 62.1371 miles?

That said there's a bit of a painful gap on the north side of it to the customary one.

But after that there's the double metric.

And back in initial-discovery land, there's 20 miles, "marathon" and 50 km all in a nice row...
Old 06-05-18, 05:35 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When the countries around the world converted to metric.
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-05-18, 05:53 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
When riding 100 km seemed like a challenge for cyclists to conquer.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-05-18, 06:44 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
The metric system is ok. No reason to get excited.... Said the joker to the thief....
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 06-05-18, 06:45 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
When calling 160.9km a century sounded like a silly idea?
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 06-05-18, 06:48 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Please see Rule 24.

Velominati ? The Rules

Old 06-05-18, 06:49 PM
Buddha2499

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
When calling 160.9km a century sounded like a silly idea?
Well played..
Old 06-05-18, 06:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's the influence of the grand tour stages. A 100 km ride is an achievable goal for any reasonably fit cyclist to finish without stopping, without special needs for support teams or stations along the way. Especially if the route has some climbs, or adverse weather -- hot, rainy, etc.

It's relatively easier if the DIY metric century includes planned or impromptu potty breaks and stops to eat and stretch. All of my metric centuries since I resumed cycling in 2015 have included two or more rest breaks for at least 15 minutes. So far I haven't been able to ride one non-stop. I usually get neck spasms (old car wreck injury) after 40 miles. So even if I didn't need to stop to pee, refill water bottles, etc., I'm gonna stop to stretch at the very least.

Beyond roughly 50 miles or 100 km it becomes a challenge to find safe routes that don't involve lots of stop and go. In my area there are routes that on the map seem suitable for a 100 mile non-stop ride, but in reality aren't. Some rural routes are reasonably safe for cyclists, others are death traps. And when you modify a route to avoid the more dangerous rural routes, you get into stop and go city traffic.

And for all but a handful of cyclists it's difficult to ride a full 100 mile century without some form of support, if only impromptu or planned breaks at places to eat or at least a convenience store. There won't be a support team or fans handing out feed bags and freshly filled water bottles. You can carry all that stuff, but the weight becomes a factor if you want to finish in 12 hours or less. Even when I was in my 20s our club usually took the full 8-10 hours allotted for 100 mile to 200 km event rides, and those were usually supported.
Old 06-05-18, 07:45 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
When the countries around the world converted to metric.
There are two kinds of nations in the world. Those that use metric and those that put a man on the moon.
Old 06-05-18, 08:05 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Beyond roughly 50 miles or 100 km it becomes a challenge to find safe routes that don't involve lots of stop and go. In my area there are routes that on the map seem suitable for a 100 mile non-stop ride, but in reality aren't. Some rural routes are reasonably safe for cyclists, others are death traps. And when you modify a route to avoid the more dangerous rural routes, you get into stop and go city traffic.
Indeed. Just cranking out the miles would be a lesser task than dealing with all the challenges of available routes.

There are people who have done century rides without leaving their neighborhood, or even on a track. Monotony has got to be harsh though.
Old 06-05-18, 08:10 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
There are two kinds of nations in the world. Those that use metric and those that put a man on the moon.
Except...NASA has used metric units for decades....it is only the tool citizenry and Congress and companies that insist on using it. The USA has among its distinguished list of accomplishments...being the only country to kill a $300,000,000USD Martian orbiter probe....due to the continued corporate use of Imperial units (Lockheed used them in their firmware, and didn't tell NASA).

This of course ignores the fact that Imperial units are defined by metric units, and have been since the late 1950s by international treaty. It is why 1 "inch" equals exactly 2.54cm....as opposed to the centimeter which is actually defined by a real physical phenomenon. So, strictly speaking, the USA is and has been using metric units for decades---just with an added layer of obfuscation on top.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 06-05-18, 08:20 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Indeed. Just cranking out the miles would be a lesser task than dealing with all the challenges of available routes.

There are people who have done century rides without leaving their neighborhood, or even on a track. Monotony has got to be harsh though.
Like Amanda Coker doing 100K miles on a 7 mi loop?

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 06-05-18, 08:23 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
When riding 100 km seemed like a challenge for cyclists to conquer.
Meh.. that's how I feel about Imperial centuries now.
Old 06-05-18, 08:29 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Except...NASA has used metric units for decades....it is only the tool citizenry and Congress and companies that insist on using it.
And even most companies I have worked for have gone to it. I don't deal with imperial measurements except for a few legacy spots in my previous aerospace or current automotive engineering role, although I will admit even in metric Ford deciding to measure speeds in m/s instead of KPH is a frigging PITA.
Old 06-05-18, 08:37 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
And even most companies I have worked for have gone to it. I don't deal with imperial measurements except for a few legacy spots in my previous aerospace or current automotive engineering role, although I will admit even in metric Ford deciding to measure speeds in m/s instead of KPH is a frigging PITA.
Yup. All prescription drugs are measured in milligrams. Even soda pop is sold in 2L bottles.

The irony being that the original justification for abandoning the metric switch effort...was it would be too expensive for companies--golly gee they are doing it on their own anyway.
Old 06-05-18, 08:39 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Yup. All prescription drugs are measured in milligrams. Even soda pop is sold in 2L bottles.

The irony being that the original justification for abandoning the metric switch effort...was it would be too expensive--golly gee they did it on their own anyway.
Really easy to sell an airplane or car in America that uses metric fasteners and tools. Really hard to do the same in France or China or S Africa with SAE specs.
Old 06-05-18, 08:42 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I was in elementary school when Canada switched and learned both as a result. Over the years I've adopted metric for everything except temperature; my brain simply thinks in F (even though I know the basics in C).
Today I was describing the weather as being about 65 degrees to a 95 year old lady I was walking and she couldn't relate - She only thinks in Celsius! I couldn't convert for her. There was something very odd about that encounter.
Old 06-05-18, 09:03 PM
Spoonrobot 

Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
I would speculate it has something to do with the 100km populaire being adopted as an alternative to the imperial century maybe during the 1970s in the USA?

Century road club manual from 1898 only lists imperial centuries and there seems to be a drop off in American interest in long distance cycling until the late 60s/early 70s. I bet if someone had the time/energy they could look at major contemporary published manuals and see when the term first popped up. Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual, 1973 is mentioned in the century ride Wiki as being a source for this quote:
A sanctioned century ride is organized and conducted under the rules and liability protection of a sanctioning organization, such as the League of American Bicyclists.[1]
So if one were really curious they could dig up that edition, see if it had a metric century as well and if not keep going forward until the term pops up.

Bikeforums own carpediem has a blog post mentioning the bloomin' metric century taking place in the early 1980s: https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...ic-and-me.html
Old 06-05-18, 09:13 PM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 35 Posts
Old 06-05-18, 09:17 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
The metric system is ok. No reason to get excited.... Said the joker to the thief....
About as good an explanation of a Dylan song as is possible. Arguing about units.
Old 06-05-18, 09:20 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Likes For desconhecido:
Old 06-05-18, 09:30 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
A trick question, huh?

Never. We don't use "miles" in bicycling nomenclature at all. "Miles" is something from the vocabulary of slack jawed yokels from southern USA. And they have not yet discovered bicycles, or so I heard. Bicycling nomenclature uses metric units, like kilometers, exclusively. Once you get that, you'll immediately realize that there's no such thing as "metric century". "Metric century" sounds like "oily oil" It is simply just century - one word. It stands for 100 km. Has always been, will always be.
Old 06-05-18, 10:08 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
I think it started when someone realized they could make a bunch of '100' stickers to sell to people to put on their cars.
Old 06-05-18, 10:18 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I'll take a guess that the OP hasn't lived in a country with the metric system.

I vastly prefer it.

As for centuries, imperial or metric? (these terms were used in the 80's)

I did my first imperial decades ago, when I was 12 or 13?

Probably did a few metrics before that.

I don't care about speed or distance as much any more, time is the most important metric for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.