Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

white lines on lower carbon steerer

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-20-19, 11:24 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

does anyone know what these could be , i dont remember them there , but its been a while since i really looked , i had a slight crash ( over a bike path barrier reccessed into the ground that does nothing but pose a dangerous threat , its suppose to stop " motor vehicles " but its ols and rusty some times hidden by sand ) ) so yeah light flip over the baaahz ,
bike didnt even get a real scratch , but it knocked the CARBON STEERER TUBE EXPANSION PLUG loose so there was very slight play as a finished riding , didnt notice till after another ride , i was hearing a weird sound so i took it all apart and noticed these white lines , they dont seem to be cracks , maybe stress marks , the white comes off a little if i scratch it with a coin lolol , i have no clue ,
i dont think i cant find a replacement for it , i could switch my front brake to normal style sram and run a older version fork , im not sure what to do , bike feels solid , no more wierd sounds , rolls over bumps like normal , there is vibration if i tap the top of the steerer with a screw driver , i dont know if that was there before , but i know sometime you can test the headset and fork with a tap or tap the front wheel to see if it vibrates , anyway please let me know what you think , thanks bye !!!!
it kind of looks cracked but it looks more like mark

Old 04-22-19, 03:32 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Doesn't look cracked to me. But you really need to clean it off and do a better inspection. Could be scratches from inside of the headtube. Some stray fibers rubbing or whatever.
Old 04-23-19, 01:16 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
Doesn't look cracked to me. But you really need to clean it off and do a better inspection. Could be scratches from inside of the headtube. Some stray fibers rubbing or whatever.
i cant tell , the brighter mark looks like paint , but the lighter mars look like maybe stress marks , like when you bend plastic ..
Old 04-23-19, 11:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
its 2 parts you are looking at where they join ...

Given you have posted so many problems with the carbon stuff you buy.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-27-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 11:43 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
its 2 parts you are looking at where they join ...

maybe carbon fiber bikes are not for you , and you just should stick to metal ones,

since you have posted so many problems with the carbon stuff you buy.

What in the hell are you talking about dude , its a carbon steerer tube ?! maybe you should not use the forum since you cant understand how to post a helpful reply , let me explain how the forum works since you obviously dont know, people post questions in the bike forums , if they have a question about something related to the subject category people that might know the answer reply , if they dont know , THEN THEY MOVE THE HELL ON AND MIND THEIR BUSINESS !!!!

and fyi 1 . most of my alum bike have carbon steerer tubes ,
2 im trying to prevent an issue on a part of my bike that is very hard to replace , and might have to be sent to a professional repair shop if i want to race with it ,
3, i ride all kinds of bikes , this is whats know as a race bike , it goes really fast and needs be looked after more than my daily beater bike OK son , ( pats silly moron on the head ) now run along and play while the grown ups talk !!!!
Old 04-25-19, 07:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
And I thought that the forum scene had all kinds of people who post with all kinds of ideas, whether they are correct or even in context Some might say that if you can't stand to see what people think then don't post to start with. These things cut both ways.

As to the white lines of the fork- It looks like there's a couple more between the crown race seat and the lower of the two lines mentioned. This makes me wonder if they are an artifact of the manufacturing process. Perhaps from a clamp or fixture whose edge was applying pressure at these points while the fork was rotated a bit.

But since you are worried and intend to go fast (if you only went slow this wouldn't matter since slow riders don't count as much as a racer does) you should get a professional assessment, and do so on paper. A simple look at and then talk about won't hold up in a court if the fork shall fail and your estate seeks compensation. These types of possible issues are impossible to fully understand without a hands on. Andy
Old 04-25-19, 01:10 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
What in the hell are you talking about dude , its a carbon steerer tube ?! maybe you should not use the forum since you cant understand how to post a helpful reply , let me explain how the forum works since you obviously dont know, people post questions in the bike forums , if they have a question about something related to the subject category people that might know the answer reply , if they dont know , THEN THEY MOVE THE HELL ON AND MIND THEIR BUSINESS !!!!

and fyi 1 . most of my alum bike have carbon steerer tubes ,
2 im trying to prevent an issue on a part of my bike that is very hard to replace , and might have to be sent to a professional repair shop if i want to race with it ,
3, i ride all kinds of bikes , this is whats know as a race bike , it goes really fast and needs be looked after more than my daily beater bike OK son , ( pats silly moron on the head ) now run along and play while the grown ups talk !!!!
You really going to try to insult someone with grammar and writing like that?
Likes For robertorolfo: