Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New-to-me Berardi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New-to-me Berardi

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 10:52 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 52 Posts
New-to-me Berardi

Just purchased this interesting Berardi in a lovely green. The lugs are nicely thin and those seat stay caps are sensational. love the decal on the forks, anybody know the story on the initials there? I've never seen Gian Robert components or much Rino in the flesh. It's the 'anything but Campagnolo' group. Just pulled it out of the car at dusk so the pictures are a little 'moody', eager to share. I've read that production was low at this small builder in Rovato, Lombardy so I guess I shoudn't be ashamed I hadn't heard of them. Looking forward to getting acquainted with it.

Likes For cheffyjay:
Old 05-11-19, 10:22 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Nice , brake calipers are interesting . And yes , seat stay ends are cool . What are your plans for the bike ?
Old 05-11-19, 11:08 AM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

those are CLB calipers, groovy quick release mechanism! the bike is too big for me. I'll give it a try but I may need to sell it. I think the F Moser stem is out of place. Bars and tape are not period correct. I might go with Modlo brakes to keep it more Italian-but-not-Campagnolo.
Old 05-15-19, 02:46 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Berardi Too Big

Originally Posted by cheffyjay
those are CLB calipers, groovy quick release mechanism! the bike is too big for me. I'll give it a try but I may need to sell it. I think the F Moser stem is out of place. Bars and tape are not period correct. I might go with Modolo brakes to keep it more Italian-but-not-Campagnolo.
Sorry to hear that it's too large a frame. I don't know what year that is, 80's?; my frame is around '76-'77; has a "71" stamped on the BB, but this is a paint code per direct conversation with the Berardi shop. They no longer make bikes (over 30 years), just operate as a standard bike shop. The builders son still works at the shop and can give you some information about your frame if you contact them and provide photos. I can't see the dropouts, but if Campy, it would be a higher quality frame. I believe that they only made top end race bikes; mine has Columbus SL tubing (per Berardi, no decal on frame, seat tube ID= 27.2mm) and the holes for mounting a portacatena to the rear dropout (indicates post early 1975, but prior to 1982/3, excepting old stock usage; my late 75/early 76 colnago has the "porta" mounting holes from the factory). They are hard to find, and yes were made in very small quantities by a very small shop. If I were 6' something I'd buy it from you! My photos suck, but search Berardi Pierino.

Last edited by HPL; 06-21-19 at 01:19 AM.
Likes For HPL:
Old 05-15-19, 05:57 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 404 Posts
IIRC the first time I've seen Gian Robert derailleurs actually attached to a bike. Please report on how well they work.

Old 05-15-19, 06:28 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
It is generally hard to tell from photos, but that looks like a pretty steep head tube angle, like a criterium frame of the late 1970s. I would be curious to know how it rides and handles. Very pretty frame and interesting mix of components, about the right height for my younger son, who towers over me by 6 or 7 inches.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 05-15-19, 06:49 AM
cheffyjay

Re: the Gian Roberts--Will do. so far, just on the stand, the front is not working. The rear is smooth.
Old 05-15-19, 07:10 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Very nice find. Good to to see such a rare bike well preserved, had never heard of the maker.

And potentially a member to include in a Seattle area BF C&V ride the next time we do one. I’m not good at coordinating things lately, maybe someone will pick up the torch.
Old 05-16-19, 07:02 AM
cheffyjay

pretty sure i need this now:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shirt-Bike-...53.m1438.l2649
Old 05-21-19, 12:57 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Re: the Gian Roberts--Will do. so far, just on the stand, the front is not working. The rear is smooth.
If the Gian Robert gruppo is OE, this would probably be one of their mid-level frames, I can't imagine any serious racer with that drivetrain gear. It could still be their higher end frame that someone put lower end components on (I'm not familiar with the calipers, but yes, nice!); it has the same seat stay caps as mine; but I don't know what the tubing is on that frame (any decals?). I'm not familiar with the decals on the fork, might not be original although I think it is based on the side view of the crown lug (same as mine). Are dropouts Camp, GPM, etc.? Do they have adjusters? What is the seat tube/post diameter?
You can (and I would) contact the Berardi shop and they'll give you info regarding that frame although they couldn't pinpoint a year on mine (no ID/serial #, just a paint code) I'm sure that they can tell you what the tubing is.
Old 06-20-19, 07:25 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Berardi w/Moser stem

those are CLB calipers, groovy quick release mechanism! the bike is too big for me. I'll give it a try but I may need to sell it. I think the F Moser stem is out of place. Bars and tape are not period correct. I might go with Modlo brakes to keep it more Italian-but-not-Campagnolo.
If you are planning on replacing the "Moser" stem and want to sell it; I'd be interested since I'm building up 2 Mosers at this time and that stem would not be out of place, plus the length is about right for my frame and reach. If not, no big deal just thought I'd ask. Hope you been getting some good rides out of it if you managed to get the fit right. I do have a have a "Berardi" panto'd stem and seat post, but they are destined for my frame.
Old 06-20-19, 07:32 AM
cheffyjay

it is on ebay currently. currently in a downward price war with another similar one.