Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Inherited a vintage Peugeot

Old 08-16-19, 09:32 PM
shern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inherited a vintage Peugeot

Hi Folks - I would greatly appreciate any help with identifying the year/model/value or any other particulars you think are of interest. I've listed below all markings I could find and tried to take relevant pics (I regret I am not very bike savvy!). The bike was last ridden in the late '80s and has been stored since then and needs a good cleaning, and tune-up in order to get it back on the streets in the San Francisco bay area. There is also an extra set of wheels with the same markings as those on the bike. Many thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise
Record Du Monde
Tube Special Allege Peugeot
Serial# 1728044 (underneath side of bike)
Mafac Racer
Simplex
Rigida Chrolux wheels
Normandy (center of wheel between spokes)
ADGA Chatillonnaise on seat
Lapize / Lyotard pedals

"We are all one ride away from a good mood"
Cheers!

Old 08-17-19, 03:04 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

hello shern,

thanks for posting

fine job with the pictures

model is called U08

date is 1971

you will find a marking on the backside of the bicycle's Simplex Prestige rear derailleur with a date mark

it is great that the bicycle is so all original and has no damage

usually by this age they have had parts changed and show usage wear

hope you enjoy it, if it is a reasonable size for you

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-17-19 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spellin'
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-17-19, 04:28 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
My guess would be an early seventies Peugeot UO8 and it looks to be in great shape. The 71 on the back side of the front derailleur cage is a pretty good vintage indicator, suggesting a vintage of 1971...

The UO8 is nothing of high end quality, however; the bike has a reputation for being a very nice riding machine. To that add that is livery screams vintage in any language. All in all a nice bike to clean up and ride. Be careful, though as such bikes can be theft magnets. And, you should take a very close look at the front derailleur. These derailleurs are very prone to cracking in half, making shifting impossible...

You should also know that French Bicycles can offer some rebuild issues a bit uncommon for other countries of origin.

So, were I the OP, I would make the bike road worthy and safe for a Test Ride. If satisfied, spend the time and money (one to two hundred dollars depending on who can do the work) to properly clean, lubricate and tune the bike. You will not be sorry you did so.
Old 08-17-19, 12:51 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks so much Juvela & Randy - especially for adding those pics. I located the 71 marking. It was well cared for back in the day by my father, so hoping with a little TLC I can get it back to riding condition, but will check the deraileurs as suggested, thank you! Would either of you be willing to take a stab at it's value?
P.S. Juvela: I used to spend summers with friends who lived in Baxter so have been through Alta quite a bit (30 yrs ago!) - lovely mountain area!
Old 08-17-19, 01:20 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Shern. Really nice nice looking bike you have there. Those MAFAC brakes work great. Nice to have the frame pump, gloves, water bottle and the bottle cage is a neat piece. The rope is a mystery, maybe to hang from a beam in garage? A little soap and water and the bike will shine! Cheers. Kevin.
Likes For Kdogbikes:
Old 08-17-19, 02:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
sellers list these locally in Southern California for $200 and they sit. $100+/- is probably the median.
Original tires, check them carefully, these were quite decent when new. I see at least one original tube too.
Brake blocks are OLD, Kool Stop replacement pads would be the way to go.
I would get one new brake cable and one new shift cable, make the rear cables the front.
The shift cable end is Simplex, smaller than most others, grind the end or drill the lever to accept.
grease the cables where they pass through any housing.
You have been visually warned about the front derailleur body. I have had them just crack while mounted on a bike in storage.
The year of your bike - might have Metric pedal threading, might be 9/16"x 20.
All the bearings could use a new grease servicing, and oil for the freewheel.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-17-19, 03:44 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
Originally Posted by shern
Thanks so much Juvela & Randy - especially for adding those pics. I located the 71 marking. It was well cared for back in the day by my father, so hoping with a little TLC I can get it back to riding condition, but will check the deraileurs as suggested, thank you! Would either of you be willing to take a stab at it's value?
P.S. Juvela: I used to spend summers with friends who lived in Baxter so have been through Alta quite a bit (30 yrs ago!) - lovely mountain area!
-----

happy to read information of help.

wrt Alta: the "Alta" in me listing doth refer not to be town but to the region as "Alta Californina" as opposed to "Baja California" - am located in the San Francisco Bay area.

the bike is in such great shape for its age that with just a bit of cleaning/polishing and lubrication you can have it in fine fettle in no time

pedals are metric thread 14mm X 1.25 and marked D and G on spindle ends. They are Lyotard model Nr. 36.

---

PS - does the bike exhibit a shop transfer anywhere? if present, it may be one I am able to recall...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-18-19 at 05:28 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-17-19, 11:45 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
Shern. Really nice nice looking bike you have there. Those MAFAC brakes work great. Nice to have the frame pump, gloves, water bottle and the bottle cage is a neat piece. The rope is a mystery, maybe to hang from a beam in garage? A little soap and water and the bike will shine! Cheers. Kevin.
Thanks so much. I think that bottle cage is as old as the bike. Indeed the rope was part of storing it suspended in the garage
Cheers!
Old 08-17-19, 11:49 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

happy to read information of help.

wrt Alta: the "Alta" in me listing doth refer not to be town but to the region as "Alta Californina" as opposed to "Baja California" - am located in the San Francisco Bay area.

the bike is in such great shape for its age that with just a bit of cleaning/polishing and lubrication you can have it in fine fettle in no time

pedals are metric thread 14mm X 1.25 and marked D and G on spindle ends.

---

PS - does the bike exhibit a shop transfer anywhere? if present, it may be one I am able to recall...

-----
Ah ok – well then howdy neighbor

Thanks for the info on the pedals. I don’t see any shop transfers, but who knows what I’ll uncover after removing the 30 years of grime!
Old 08-17-19, 11:54 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by repechage
sellers list these locally in Southern California for $200 and they sit. $100+/- is probably the median.
Original tires, check them carefully, these were quite decent when new. I see at least one original tube too.
Brake blocks are OLD, Kool Stop replacement pads would be the way to go.
I would get one new brake cable and one new shift cable, make the rear cables the front.
The shift cable end is Simplex, smaller than most others, grind the end or drill the lever to accept.
grease the cables where they pass through any housing.
You have been visually warned about the front derailleur body. I have had them just crack while mounted on a bike in storage.
The year of your bike - might have Metric pedal threading, might be 9/16"x 20.
All the bearings could use a new grease servicing, and oil for the freewheel.
Very much appreciate all the tips as well as thoughts on value - thank you! I think I know how I'll be spending the upcoming 3-day holiday weekend....
Old 08-18-19, 04:35 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Value, if you have good marketing skills and if the bike is clean and in road worthy condition - $100 to $200 US. If you are patient, $150 - $250 US.

If you decide to keep and ride the bike, be prepared to at least - replace brake pads as they tend to harden with the passing of time, open up and grease the bottom bracket, head set and wheel hubs. That is the minimum. You might give some thought to replacing brake and transmission cables also, but not absolutely necessary. Those items will set you back about $30.

Now, to be safe, replace the tires since, once again, the passing of time will negatively impact the integrity of the tires strength, perhaps allowing for a blow-out while riding. Most of the time a flat causes pain in the butt (figuratively speaking), however; a nasty and sudden tire pop on the front might cause both you and the bike considerable crash pain.

If you have to have others do the work, add $100 at least to your clean up and make road worthy costs.
Old 08-18-19, 07:19 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Value, if you have good marketing skills and if the bike is clean and in road worthy condition - $100 to $200 US. If you are patient, $150 - $250 US.

If you decide to keep and ride the bike, be prepared to at least - replace brake pads as they tend to harden with the passing of time, open up and grease the bottom bracket, head set and wheel hubs. That is the minimum. You might give some thought to replacing brake and transmission cables also, but not absolutely necessary. Those items will set you back about $30.

Now, to be safe, replace the tires since, once again, the passing of time will negatively impact the integrity of the tires strength, perhaps allowing for a blow-out while riding. Most of the time a flat causes pain in the butt (figuratively speaking), however; a nasty and sudden tire pop on the front might cause both you and the bike considerable crash pain.

If you have to have others do the work, add $100 at least to your clean up and make road worthy costs.
All well noted - thank you - this is extremely helpful! Can't wait to give it a spin and greatly appreciate all the safety tips.
Old 08-22-19, 04:28 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Lovely bike and well worth fixing up and riding. Alloy wheels will be a big help performance wise if rebuilding the bike.

Price wise, these bikes tend to go $50-$100 here in a mid sized city in the midwest; it has to be worth more in SF.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-22-19, 09:37 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig
Lovely bike and well worth fixing up and riding. Alloy wheels will be a big help performance wise if rebuilding the bike.

Price wise, these bikes tend to go $50-$100 here in a mid sized city in the midwest; it has to be worth more in SF.
Thanks very much. This will be my labor day weekend project! My bike enthusiast colleague also suggested the alloy wheels so will look into that. Greatly appreciate your thoughts on the value. Cheers!
Old 08-23-19, 08:50 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Funny ... as I read this thread, I thought someone has to mention aluminum wheels. It's not for looks. It's not weight, though aluminum rims will weigh a lot less than the steel that's on the bike now. It's for safety. Steel is VERY hard to stop when even a little wet. If it's possible that you may have to go down a hill in a serious fog, and you have steel wheels, you will be in grave danger. (Every time I've been in SF it's been sunny. )
Old 08-26-19, 10:21 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by philbob57
Funny ... as I read this thread, I thought someone has to mention aluminum wheels. It's not for looks. It's not weight, though aluminum rims will weigh a lot less than the steel that's on the bike now. It's for safety. Steel is VERY hard to stop when even a little wet. If it's possible that you may have to go down a hill in a serious fog, and you have steel wheels, you will be in grave danger. (Every time I've been in SF it's been sunny. )
Thanks for pointing that out. I did think the main advantage would be weight, but greatly appreciate the safety callout as I definately foresee hills and fog being part of my riding experience! Cheers
Old 08-27-19, 09:44 AM
Tiny1990

Bikes: 1990 Diamondback Interval, 08 Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That bike will clean up really nice! Id honestly replace the cables and tires and brake pads and a service and ride as is. unless you plan to do serious riding on it.
Old 09-02-19, 12:48 PM
shern

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tiny1990
That bike will clean up really nice! Id honestly replace the cables and tires and brake pads and a service and ride as is. unless you plan to do serious riding on it.
Thanks! Today is bike clean up day and can't wait to see it's renewed look. Then off to the bike shop next week for some new parts. Cheers!
Likes For shern: