Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

'90 Fuquay-Serotta Custom 'Cross Frame/Fork 57.5x59: $450

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

'90 Fuquay-Serotta Custom 'Cross Frame/Fork 57.5x59: $450

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 10:00 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
[SOLD] '90 Fuquay-Serotta Custom 'Cross Frame/Fork 57.5x59: $400

[SOLD] Price Drop: '90 Fuquay-Serotta Custom Frame/Fork: $400 shipped conti USA; paypal G&S; will include headset, front cantis and vintage Brodie stabilizer for an extra $75

No dents/dings/odious damage, but lotsa small scattered paint scratches, scrapes, wear. Figure cosmetically a 7.5/10.

Snagged this a few years back, very cool steed but needs to find a new home to make some room around here.

Very cool Serotta Custom race cross frameset built by Greg Fuquay, Brit expat Serotta builder, as his own personal cross race bike. Nearest I can figure, Greg is now wrenching US Air Force helicopters.

The ser# is Greg's initials + the build date, and there's an "F" engraved in two canti bosses, one each front/rear. The fork has a standard Serotta CX ser# stamped and then all X'd out. Maybe that means Greg used an already-built stock fork, or if it somehow got serialed first? Why take the time to X out the ser#, but not stamp his own initials/ser, unless he didn't build it himself? But then why engrave the "F" in the canti boss? Ah, sweet mysteries of life.

This is a 1990 cross race frame, meaning high bb/short bb drop, comfy clearance for 32mm tires max, funky cable routing to keep the inner triangle clear for portaging, and no bottle cage, fender, rack or pump bosses. Serious stuff here.

Other weirdness is the front canti boss spacing is '90-narrow at 57mm, while the rear is a pretty modern 81mm. Vintage wide-profile cantis only up front, or maybe CX50/CX70 with the narrowest of spacers. Paul cantis and minimotos worked fine in the rear. The seatstay caps are cut flat/square across the tops, a treatment I've never seen anywhere else. Oh, yeah, and it's got a teeny-tiny kinda pain-in-the-keyster cable stop for the rear brake brazed onto the seat lug.

The frame is also pretty durn light at about 4.2lbs frame/fork, and the chainstays are thinwall and flex outwards like crazy when braking. I put a stabilizer on the rear to stiffen things up.

This is a one-of-a-kind, versatile handbuilt cross frame from a relatively unknown builder of a well-known brand. Being what it is, it won't be as planted/plush as a modern gravel frame on trails/gravel, and even with plush/supple/light 32mm tires it won't be as smooth/plush on asphalt as a road frame with wider tire clearance and 80mm of bb drop. This isn't a cross frame you can easily throw racks and bags on to go touring. It is versatile, but it makes no compromises that interfere with it's original purpose and time.

If you want something you can rack/fender, if you're going to worry about how to handle bottle cages, if you want to hit the heavy gravel with a frame that is forgiving of inattention or casual technique, this ain't the cat for you.

With all that outta the way, here's some specs; dims and mistakes all mine:

Frame: 4.56lb/2.07kg; Fork: 1.6lb/.730kg; F/F: 6.17lb/2.8kg
Built: 21.36lbs/9.8kg (w/dual hbar bottle cages)
ST: 72.0-deg; HT: 73.0-deg
ST: 57.5cm c-c
TT: 59cm c-c
Chainstays: 42cm
WB: 104.0cm/41"
BB Drop: 55mm
HT:180mm
Standover: 85.7cm/33.8"
Tire Clearance: 32mm actual width fits wth 4-5mm at chainstays; 35mm very tight at chstays; 38mm rubs both sides. Minor dimpling would get you 35mm easy, maybe 38mm?
Brakes: canti boss c-c 57mmF/81mmR

I built it 2x, then 1x, went fine both ways. I rigged up a dual bar-mount bottle cage with some Wolf Hound bits, 'cause I f'in hate bottle cage clamps, I need a rear bag for tools and stuff, and I gotta drink my H2O.

I didn't shoot any frame-only pix, so you'll have to pick out details from the built pix, spanning a few different builds. Oddsaabs original pix are at the end of my flickr album:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2QKywg

Last edited by pcb; 04-06-20 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 07:56 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
The "F" on the canti boss was not engraved by Fuquay. It's marked like that from the factory to indicate that it is a front canti (often on off-the-shelf brake bosses, the manufacturer has a different miter radius on the front than the back to match fork blades vs. seatstays). Not sure the maker but see an example here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254107713290

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 12-18-19 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 12-18-19, 09:21 PM
pcb 

Son of a gun, tks for that. I've never seen that on another frame, would a builder normally fill that in or file it down so the F didn't show?

If the "F" is for front, I wonder why he'd use one on the back, too. Maybe just to have a couple Fs showing?
Old 12-18-19, 11:31 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 523 Posts
This is such a nice looking bike, glad it is not my size.
Old 12-19-19, 06:10 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Now that's what I would call "nice"!
GLWTS
Old 01-01-20, 04:50 PM
pcb 

New Year, New Price! Price drop to $400 shipped conti USA.

Happy New Year! Price drop to $400 shipped conti USA.