Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 01-12-20, 11:53 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Don't remember if this ever was posted here, my understanding is this was recently stolen from outside the Battaglins house sold on Ukrainian EBay to a Japanese collector and has not been returned to date.

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 01-13-20, 12:21 AM
m_sasso

Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
Yes this was already posted....but that is okay....it is a large thread that is blog like...so mistakes are understandable. No one should worry too much if they accidentally repost something....heck I might do it myself. The added information you gave is interesting. I saw it on Ebay myself. The seller was asking ten thousand dollars and then took it down right away. Its like a mystery story. Where did you hear your version of events? It is a fantastic bicycle and it is awesome that it has survived all these years. It would suck to have it stolen for sure.
Sorry, read the story on Nuci Bici - bicycle design unhindered by UCI rules, Facebook Group. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Just a small penance and because it is Sunday.

Last edited by m_sasso; 01-13-20 at 12:27 AM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 01-13-20, 09:15 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not own the 3Rensho frame I posted earlier.. I wish!
I do own the Paletti TT I posted at the very top of the thread. I have another TT which I will post later. Thanks for comment and for posting. Here are a couple more 3Rensho pictures for yah.

Enjoy

Awesome, that top photo is from my book "Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan". I'll post some more photos of it.

Cheers,

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 01-13-20, 09:27 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

First of all, great thread!!

One of the the TT bikes from my book "Japanese Steel"

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Last edited by ScottRyder; 01-13-20 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelled my name wrong : )
Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 01-13-20, 05:05 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Can anyone out there in the ether help me out by posting more info on the Rychtarski make???
Sure. How's your Polish?

https://www.facebook.com/RychtarskiBicycleWorkshop/

Last edited by P!N20; 01-13-20 at 05:10 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-13-20, 07:22 PM
P!N20

If anyone can find out more about this particular bike it would be incredibly appreciated. I want to buy it some day. Even the picture is rare.
Can't find much about the bike, but the human on top of it is Alf 'The King' Engers - British time trial champion.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-13-20, 07:23 PM
P!N20

From time to time an "other" De Rosa shows up somewhere. These are the De Rosa bikes that are made in Pozzuoli (NA). The Fabbrica Biciclette De Rosa was founded in 1940 by Raffaele De Rosa. Immediately after WWII there were only two road bike frame builders in the Campania region: Raffaele De Rosa and Luigi Greco. Raffaelle's son, Achille, began helping his father at age 10 and by 15 was able to build a complete frame. The family tradition of frame building continues today with Antonio, son of Achille, who also constructs full carbon frames. The family is very proud that framebuilding is now into its third generation.

As a point of reference, Ugo De Rosa began his business in the early 1950s.

De Rosa of Pozzuoli bikes can be usually identified by a circle/dot in the O of De Rosa.

Last edited by P!N20; 01-13-20 at 07:27 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-15-20, 07:19 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
That is a feast!

Not really "wrenching" but I just picked up a pair of wheels on CL for an incredible price, < $150. They are Campagnolo Record hubs of recent vintage with good Campagnolo 10V cassette, Ambrosia Tubular rims with Continental tires with tread still left. All the parts are black except two spokes that are on either side of the valve, which are red. This set is going on the De Rosa. Guess it just determined the color scheme, black and red. Now all I need are the RD's, brakes and Ergo's. My Record cranks are silver so I was thinking the RD could be a combination of Carbon and AL.
Old 01-15-20, 04:33 PM
P!N20

Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-18-20, 08:20 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

ScottRyder, it is a distinct pleasure and a privilege to have you posting on this thread. I absolutely need to buy your book and I would recommend it to all classic bicycle aficionado's because I have had a chance to thoroughly peruse it page by page. All I need to do is save up my pennies to obtain it.

The pictures you posted are of a wonderful and unique bicycle obviously. The Japanese craftsmen had such an attention for and love of fine detail. They also had wonderful artistic flourishes, like so much of their art production in general. You wrote the book on this, but I say this for the benefit of all readers (most already know this anyway but it bears repeating). I see traces of Japanese calligraphy in their bike design...the same philosophy and spirit. Thank you so much for posting more pictures of this special bicycle!
Thank you very much for that compliment! The TT bikes certainly created a lot of buzz when they came into the studio. My lighting director, John, who is not a bike person, referred to them as the "bikes from mars". I'll post some of the others shortly.

Keep up the good work on this thread!

Cheers,

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 01-18-20, 08:31 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Perhaps less exotic then some of the others here, this 1987 Team Fuji TT bike is a time capsule. With it's crazy paint job, it was a dream to photograph. From our book "Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan".

Cheers,

Scott

IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 02-04-20, 12:05 AM
P!N20

Likes For P!N20:
Old 02-04-20, 04:57 AM
Old Fireleg

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
One of my favorite racers and for me the most stylish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Great footage!
The great Francesco is probably the most grateful bike rider ever in terms of photography. Incredible determination and concentration on the face, full thrust in the muscles ... All in a beautiful style with a straight back. Maybe my biggest favorite ...
Likes For Old Fireleg:
Old 02-05-20, 10:18 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
1987 Nishiki "Linear". Okay, maybe not my favorite visually, but I get to ride it and it's a blast. Probably one of the better deals I got on a complete bike in very good condition both aesthetically and functionally. My +50 year old back doesn't like to go much over 30 miles at a time, but I can rip out 15-25 miles without feeling uncomfortable while going all out on it. It should have "Biopace" rings with DT indexed shifting, and all 1st gen. 105 (1050) group components. Riding it with Sun Tour ratcheting barcons, 5 spd "straight block" 15-19 cluster, 53t large ring (changing to a 55t). OE bar/brakes/wheels/saddle. OFMEGA FD & RD; looking for OE 105 derailleurs. Paid under $190 without spending another cent. Nice to ride on rolling hills, but have no idea how it would feel on hard climbs; steering with that 24" front makes it handle a little odd. 58cm frame, I'm 5'7" and feel fine, actually I plan on increasing the stem length about 2.5cm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20191219_121709.jpg (1.45 MB, 240 views)
Likes For HPL:
Old 02-06-20, 06:32 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
So well put Old Fireleg. His facial expression is like that of a cool assassin which was what he was on a bike. He had style, elegance, and panache and the bikes he rode were soooo cool and fascinating. Thanks for the great post and hope to see some pictures of your favorite vintage TT's and pista bikes.
I'd say he was one in that group,
here's another one. A force of nature on the bike and a dead elegant cyclist:

On Pinarello TT:

On an FES German national team issue:

on a Walser TT

BTW has this been shown yet? i lke it!

Likes For martl:
Old 02-06-20, 09:31 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Textima/GDR
Rider: Dan Radke TTT WC 1986 (Radke/Ampler/Kummer/Raab)

Likes For martl:
Old 02-07-20, 01:35 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Here's my favorite:

It's my favorite because it was the bike I was using when I won my only bike race.

I'm sure I looked something like this:

...while on my way to winning the Christmas Day 25-mile massed start time trial on Diego Garcia in December of 2000

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-07-20, 03:47 AM
martl
Strong Walker

What I am trying to figure out is how was he able to get away with riding with a small front wheel without breaking the rules since the caption says 1998. The bike itself looks kind of like the older style of TT bike too. Anyone can figure that out?
According to https://books.google.fr/books?id=msd...20size&f=false
same size wheels were requested in UCI regulation 2002A, which came into effect for the 2000 season

I deliberately jumped the coat hanger pinarello as i think it is ugly as hell Also, i could inspect one that was used as decoration at the munich sixdays and i wasn't impressed at all with the craftsmanship. There *were* CFK masters working in the trade at that time, but definitely not at Pinarello
I suspect any ordinary diamond shape frame would have been lighter, as aerodynamic, and less troublesome.

BTW the "Walser" was an absolute beast. Produced by a one-man shop in switzerland, it gained reputation with the "insiders" pretty fast. All special parts, non-standard extra narrow wheel hubs, all those features usually associated with multi-million national efforts to win a few medals *cough* GT *cough* british cycling.
Pros and wealthy amateurs woul line up at Walsers job to get one of those weapons and a bit of verbal abuse from the man, who was notoriously unfriendly to anyone. Parallels to "Lightweight Wheels, the early years" pop to mind.

Last edited by martl; 02-07-20 at 03:51 AM.
Likes For martl:
Old 02-08-20, 05:18 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
Yes it's possible to use a fixed gear (or single speed) with vertical dropouts, but it's not a good idea. Unless you have one of those rare eccentric hubs, usually only one gear ratio will work out to the right chain length, and you can't adjust for chain wear ("stretch"). Handlebar is rotated too far down, and quill pedals with no clips/straps? The 36-spoke wheel is a bit jarring too. Feels like it's set up for a photo shoot, not for riding (much less racing). Maybe one of those silly urban bike messenger fixies? If so, a sad inglorious end for a nice bike.

Hey, I'm not dissing the work @VintageTTfan and all the the other contributors have done to bring us this fun thread. I'm just dissing that one bike's setup. The rest are awesome!
Likes For bulgie:
Old 02-08-20, 05:33 AM
P!N20

That seatpost. I just don't even...
Likes For P!N20:
Old 02-08-20, 10:13 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Courtesy of The Bicycle Stand in Long Beach Ca

Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-09-20, 01:59 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Killer! Love this post period. First of all I love Tommasini. The bicycles have that elegance as I am sure most are already aware. Secondly, actual race experience is loved here as it is rare. If you can post a small paragraph on what it was like to win the Christmas Day 25 miler time trial that would be cool too. Maybe it was a "wave of mutilation" as the Pixies would say. Kudos on that of course. My jaw dropped reading the bikes you have but that will be no surprise to you.
In my opinion, "amateur race experience" is even a stretch for what I accomplished, but okay, here goes: in 2000-2001 when I was still active duty Navy, I was stationed on Diego Garcia for a year tour. Shortly after I arrived I got involved with the island cycling club of a bout 40 members. I spent 9 months as the club president, and the Christmas Day massed-start TT was my final race before shipping all my stuff back to the States and transferring off the island to my next duty station. Although drafting was not permitted, we all stayed pretty close until the turnaround which I got perfectly right. I was able to open a gap coming out of the turnaround that didn't close in the next couple miles, which translated into more confidence and more breathing room. Since nobody could work together, it was just a matter of my legs holding out. I finished 12 seconds up

That bike was fun, but a bit heavy - those Atlanta 1996 rims are at least 400 grams each. And the frame was too small, so I made it work with the TT setup: ITM Dual bar and Corima carbon seatpost (a cool blade-shaped design) which provided a bit more rearward adjustment. Campy 50th Anniversary brake calipers, front derailleur, crankset, pedals, and gear levers. Nuovo Record rear, Chorus headset and some kind of Dia-Compe or similar levers designed for bar-end application.

Frame was sold years ago, but I had fun while it lasted - just too small. I'd prolly still have it today if it fit.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-09-20, 02:16 AM
m_sasso

Anyone familiar with the saddle on this bike? Know the name or maker? It looks to be a variation of a Selle Italia Turbomatic, however never viewed a similar version and could be way wrong.

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 02-10-20, 03:29 AM
P!N20

Likes For P!N20:
Old 02-10-20, 09:32 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
1999 Litespeed Blade, my modified version...

After funny bikes were banned... A Litespeed Blade: The actual frame under the Trek paint that the Texas Doper used to win the prologue TT in the 1999 TDF (with as much Ti as I was able to put on it at the time), and modified braking system

Litespeed Ti seatpost, Campy Ti 10 cogs across the rear, Suntour Superb single ring crankset with milled Gian Roberts chainring. (teeth intended to be thinned as necessary). Campy Record Titanium RD-not sure of the year. Other major modification, left shift lever replaced by add'l front brake lever, allowing finer handling/control without loss of aero position. (3 brake levers total.)

Phil hubs and Litespeed carbon fork.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 02-10-20 at 09:43 AM.
Likes For Last ride 76:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.