Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"...his hat, his little bike shorts..."

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 01:10 PM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Are all the obnoxious people who were claiming that this tool was an LEO going to apologize for their ridiculous, completely unfounded assertions?
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 06-06-20, 01:36 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I must admit, my first gut reaction (i.e., my prejudices) were telling me it was likely that the perp was a cop or retired cop. So I was inclined to believe this when I saw it.
It's the stupid glasses. So much speculation (11 year old, cop, etc) based on appearances. Glad the police could do their job and get the perp.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 06-06-20, 03:58 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
clearly you can’t judge a persons age by this vid. Don’t let facts cloud your ability to judge ages.

CHEERS

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Watch the ABC News video I posted above. You can CLEARLY see the guy grab the little girl's arm and tug yanking on it as he attempted to grab the flyers.

Heck, here's the link to that video again.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cyclist-as...ry?id=71080297

Cheers
Old 06-06-20, 04:31 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by Bmach
clearly you can’t judge a persons age by this vid. Don’t let facts cloud your ability to judge ages.

CHEERS
I thought the perp looked less than 50 yr old. So basically unless someone recognized him or the bike, all internet sleuthing is not relevant.
Old 06-06-20, 04:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I was a little surprised by his age.
Old 06-06-20, 05:11 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Twitter says there is an arrest in progress.
Local News source
https://www.mymcmedia.org/breaking-p...trail-assault/

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-06-20 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 05:24 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
He was fired from his job as VP of a California based company because of this. He was not retired police.
Old 06-06-20, 06:14 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Yes, I went back and edited my post that said he was because nobody reads the whole thread before posting.

I backed away from the internet sleuthing once I realized it was out of control, but I saw something where I thought the person knew what they were talking about once the arrest was happening. Mea culpa
Old 06-06-20, 07:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
It's the stupid glasses. So much speculation (11 year old, cop, etc) based on appearances. Glad the police could do their job and get the perp.
The glasses were a very small prt of it, but it was a number of other things, mostly it was the fact that he was an older man who seems pretty comfortable using that kind of force to get his way and may be used to getting away with it. Also, the fact that he was so angry about the flyers (which were calling out the police) And yeah, he kind of LOOKED like the stereotype of an older cop: Strong, relatively fit, with a little bit of spare tire..

Anyway, that was my gut reaction, but I knew thats all it was, I’ve been wrong about my initial assumptions in these things enough times to know I should wait and see what comes of it.
Old 06-06-20, 07:45 PM
rebel1916

The glasses were a very small prt of it, but it was a number of other things, mostly it was the fact that he was an older man who seems pretty comfortable using that kind of force to get his way and may be used to getting away with it. Also, the fact that he was so angry about the flyers (which were calling out the police) And yeah, he kind of LOOKED like the stereotype of an older cop: Strong, relatively fit, with a little bit of spare tire..

Anyway, that was my gut reaction, but I knew thats all it was, I’ve been wrong about my initial assumptions in these things enough times to know I should wait and see what comes of it.
So many stereotypes, leading to one ignorant assumption. Weird. Perhaps you should use this opportunity to do some self reflection.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 06-06-20, 07:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by rebel1916
So many stereotypes, leading to one ignorant assumption. Weird. Perhaps you should use this opportunity to do some self reflection.
Are you f-ing kidding me?

Did you not comprehend what I just wrote?

Everyone has gut reactions and and prejudices. The difference is that some people actually are aware of it and honest about it, and don’t jump to conclusions on it.... which I did not.

It is the rest who are self delusional and need to do some serious self reflection. Or they are just plain lying.

Go back and read what I wrote again.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-06-20 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-06-20, 07:55 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Seriously, how big of a scumbag is he? That's a little girl he assaulted.

I'd hope anyone on BF who recognizes him will come forward.
the little girls and boys where 18, 18 and 19. still despicable, but those are the facts. Judging by the video and lame flyer, I figured younger as well.
Old 06-06-20, 08:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
the little girls and boys where 18, 18 and 19. still despicable, but those are the facts. Judging by the video and lame flyer, I figured younger as well.
Lame flyer?

And the post you quoted was made before all was known. Like you, I thought she looked like a child from the video.
Old 06-06-20, 08:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Okay, but still t hat one girl he grabbed was about 1/2 his size. His actions make him look like a loose cannon. I wonder if his anger issues will ever escalate to the point where he seriously injures or even kills someone in a fit of his rage?

Cheers
Old 06-06-20, 08:12 PM
spdntrxi

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Lame flyer?

And the post you quoted was made before all was known. Like you, I thought she looked like a child from the video.
I know.. I didn't read every post, just quoted an early one for ease. You gotta admit the flyer could have been worded better.
Old 06-06-20, 08:14 PM
spdntrxi

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Okay, but still t hat one girl he grabbed was about 1/2 his size. His actions make him look like a loose cannon. I wonder if his anger issues will ever escalate to the point where he seriously injures or even kills someone in a fit of his rage?

Cheers
did I not say "despicable" ? no doubt a hothead.
Old 06-06-20, 08:19 PM
rebel1916

Are you f-ing kidding me?

Did you not comprehend what I just wrote?

Everyone has gut reactions and and prejudices. The difference is that some people actually are aware of it and honest about it, and don’t jump to conclusions on it.... which I did not.

It is the rest who are self delusional and need to do some serious self reflection. Or they are just plain lying.

Go back and read what I wrote again.
Yeah, I read it. With 20/20 retrospective vision you still don't appear as magnanimous and open minded as you seem to think.

My safety depends on being able to communicate with angry, often violent people of all backgrounds. Awareness and self reflection are things I actually do every day.
Old 06-06-20, 08:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Oh come on! Everbody knows bicyclists are a pain in the a## and should be banned from all roads!

Am I right or am I right?

And segregated infrastructure is a BIG STEP in that direction. LOL

Cheers
Old 06-06-20, 08:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Yeah, I read it. With 20/20 retrospective vision you still don't appear as magnanimous and open minded as you seem to think.

My safety depends on being able to communicate with angry, often violent people of all backgrounds. Awareness and self reflection are things I actually do every day.
If you think that you are not subject to your own prejudices then you are far, far, behind me in the “self-reflection” you speak of.

No, you are actually still in the denial phase.

By the way, go back through this thread and see what the first thing I said was regarding him being a cop or not.

Also, nowhere did I say I ever “assumed” he was a cop. I said it was a gut feeling and that I knew it was just a gut feeling. The stereotypes you seem to want to take me to task for are the very prejudices I was articulating that I found when I examined my gut feeling. Honestly, what do you think you are pointing out that I am not already aware of?

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-06-20 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 09:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Are all the obnoxious people who were claiming that this tool was an LEO going to apologize for their ridiculous, completely unfounded assertions?
Excellent point. There were no clouds of tear-gas. The adult 11 year old wasn't knocked over backward and left with blood pouring out of her fractured skull. Nor did anyone kneel upon her neck until she was asphyxiated, or handcuff her and kick her in the ribs for ten minutes and then charge her with resisting arrest, or shoot her eye out with a teargas canister.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-06-20, 10:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Excellent point. There were no clouds of tear-gas. The adult 11 year old wasn't knocked over backward and left with blood pouring out of her fractured skull. Nor did anyone kneel upon her neck until she was asphyxiated, or handcuff her and kick her in the ribs for ten minutes and then charge her with resisting arrest, or shoot her eye out with a teargas canister.
It's early yet. They could still bust her for entrapping and then conspiring to frame that poor cyclist.
Old 06-07-20, 03:20 AM
indyfabz

You gotta admit the flyer could have been worded better.
Not until I know how the flyer read? Couldn’t make out the wording from the footage.
Old 06-07-20, 04:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Yes, it was misreported, but ultimately it's an unimportant detail. She's obviously a very small person and he assaulted her.

Charges are as I predicted, by the way.
Old 06-07-20, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not until I know how the flyer read? Couldn’t make out the wording from the footage.

Someone posted a picture of what was purported to be one of the flyers. If I recall correctly, it said something like "killer cops must not go free". Hardly enough to trigger the cop wannabe.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-20, 05:48 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Someone posted a picture of what was purported to be one of the flyers. If I recall correctly, it said something like "killer cops must not go free". Hardly enough to trigger the cop wannabe.
Didn’t see that one, but in context, it seems rational, even if one does not agree with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.