Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon frame manufacturing defect?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 02:17 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I have this 2011 Scott Contessa CR1 Team. Carbon frame. Hardly a mark on it. The middle of the top tube though has a weird line in it. Looks like it was just the way the carbon layed up. It's completely flat at that spot and no marks, bends, or scratches. So...they made it this way?

Old 07-09-20, 02:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Cosmetic blem at worst, but take it to the dealer for evaluation.
Old 07-09-20, 02:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Did the bike come with that or is this a change? I don't have the answers either way but that is a clue.
Old 07-09-20, 02:59 PM
Jicafold

I just bought this bike used yesterday. I have no idea of the history. I was going to take it to the local shop, but I thought I would start here.
Old 07-09-20, 03:21 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
that is clearly two carbon tubes that have detached from each other, i would imagine the strength of that tube is highly suspect
Old 07-09-20, 03:37 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
that is clearly two carbon tubes that have detached from each other, i would imagine the strength of that tube is highly suspect
That frame was not constructed from tubes. It was laid up in a mold from small sheets of woven carbon and the sheets overlap, leaving lines like that. Some manufacturers will paint those sections black, before applying the clear coat, in order to hide the layup lines and avoid panicking customers who think there is something wrong with the frame.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 07-09-20, 04:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
I just bought this bike used yesterday. I have no idea of the history. I was going to take it to the local shop, but I thought I would start here.
you realize a warranty of defects in materials and workmanship only applies to the original buyer.. not you.. just live with it,

you saved money over buying it new ,
Old 07-09-20, 04:10 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by fietsbob
you realize a warranty of defects in materials and workmanship only applies to the original buyer.. not you.. just live with it,

you saved money over buying it new ,
Wow, I wasn't looking for a refund or even mentioned one. I was just wondering why it was there.
Old 07-09-20, 04:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Is the outside finish smooth? you do realize there is more than 1 layer of carbon used in laying it up inside the Mold?

gel coat goes in the mold first then fabric with resin, then another

I made some fiberglass boats not carbon bikes .. but the idea is similar before the epoxy cooks you get the air bubbles out..
Old 07-09-20, 04:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

they have molds for each size of bikes or was the one adjustable,, ? i don't know..
Old 07-09-20, 05:17 PM
Jicafold

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Is the outside finish smooth? you do realize there is more than 1 layer of carbon used in laying it up inside the Mold?

gel coat goes in the mold first then fabric with resin, then another

I made some fiberglass boats not carbon bikes .. but the idea is similar before the epoxy cooks you get the air bubbles out..
Yes. As stated in my first post, the outside is totally flat and smooth.
Old 07-10-20, 06:12 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
That sucker looks ready to asplode. Carbon bikes do that all the time you know.

Pretty sure I read that somewhere on this site.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-10-20, 07:19 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I would have that looked at. If nothing else for piece of mind. However, the first place I would take it to is someplace where they actually work with carbon fiber. Just my opinion, but I would think that if it's a factory blemish that it would have been caught during the sanding process after the frames are removed from the molds.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-10-20, 07:27 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Looks like a blemish.....but to be on the safe side I 'd use some duct tape to hide it and strengthen the tube in case of an asplosion (jk)
Nice bike!
Old 07-10-20, 09:09 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I'd inquire with the photos directly to Scott. I'm sure their only obligation is to original owner, but I bet they'll still give you guidance. Most likely, they will tell you "yes, that's a recognized aspect of our layup process on that model." But they might tell you something else. Worth trying. I had a good experience with their customer service a few years ago.
Old 07-10-20, 10:00 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I could never trust a bike with something like that. I would never feel comfortable riding hard or taking a fast descent. It might be absolutely nothing, but I would never have peace of mind.
Bummer!
Old 07-10-20, 10:22 AM
Jicafold

The Scott webpage says to go to the local dealer first, which there is one. I'll go by my preferred shop first, Action Bikes in San Antonio, then to the local dealer to see what they say. Thank you.
Old 07-10-20, 10:44 AM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
I can't believe how much bad advice you're getting.

There is nothing wrong with the bike. If you look at carbon layups with clear coats, you can see something like this on pretty much every piece ever molded.

Carbon fiber itself is very fine and silky. It's laid up in multiple plies and set in epoxy. Picture many layers of loose, very fine silky threads frozen in clear glue. Sometimes there will be a little ripple, or one sheet of carbon fiber will end, and you can see that.

Some manufacturers are better at layups than others. Some put a cosmetic weave coat over the top. But what you see here is very normal and no cause for concern.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 07-10-20, 10:53 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
I can't believe how much bad advice you're getting.

There is nothing wrong with the bike. If you look at carbon layups with clear coats, you can see something like this on pretty much every piece ever molded.

Carbon fiber itself is very fine and silky. It's laid up in multiple plies and set in epoxy. Picture many layers of loose, very fine silky threads frozen in clear glue. Sometimes there will be a little ripple, or one sheet of carbon fiber will end, and you can see that.

Some manufacturers are better at layups than others. Some put a cosmetic weave coat over the top. But what you see here is very normal and no cause for concern.
I agree - the beautiful smooth and seamless weave you frequently see on frames etc is usually a cosmetic layer and doesn’t reflect the multilayered structural- and frequently less aesthetic nature of the layup underneath. The carbon sheets are layered for function and strength, not beauty, and these sheets have to overlap somewhere. If the manufacturer chooses not to cover the whole thing with as seamless-as-possible top layer , the structural nuts and bolts of the layup will be evident - like here
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-10-20, 10:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
The Scott webpage says to go to the local dealer first, which there is one. I'll go by my preferred shop first, Action Bikes in San Antonio, then to the local dealer to see what they say. Thank you.
Ignore the high drama background music, though the baritone narration is kind of nice. However, this is a good overview of how your frame was constructed.

The 2011 Scott Contessa CR1 Team (and Scott CR1 Team) is a "HMF" (high modulus fiber) "IMP" (integrated molding process) frame, though the entire frame is not IMP. It's a hybrid of IMP parts.

Starting at 0:30 they cover "HMX" (high modulus extreme) but "HMF" is very similar.
Starting at 1:00 you can see a variety of the removable cores that the carbon pieces are layed up on.
Around 1:30 you see them working on a suspension frame (the main unsprung triangle, the WHOLE triangle is IMP).
Starting at 2:19 or so is the bonding and final layup (they are showing a road frame here, Foil?). This frame is made up of multiple IMP components. Similar to yours.

So, please do visit your LBS, because free internut advice (particularly ignore the always "helpful" asploding crowd) is worth every penny. But until you visit the LBS, that looks like a bonding artifact, not a ready to asplode frame. (It's also why newer frames are more likely to be finished with an opaque primer before final colors.)

Nice bike, I still miss my CR1 Pro, and I still can't believe road debris took out my rear deraileur which took out my Addict dropout and seat stay.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-10-20 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 11:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you ask a LBS if they think the frame is OK, most will not risk the liability of saying yes.
Old 07-10-20, 12:51 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by GlennR
If you ask a LBS if they think the frame is OK, most will not risk the liability of saying yes.
And free legal advice too.

-mr. bill
Old 07-10-20, 12:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
This thread is why you don't turn to forums like this. Basically the three standard responses for everything is;

1. You are screwed and got screwed, this thing is a death trap caused by a massive industrial conspiracy forcing you to buy more bikes. I am staying with my 1976 Sears special because it's steel and made in America.

2. Looks good but I say ask another person just to be sure.

3. Someone who actually is informed and can clearly see there is nothing wrong here and enjoy your new purchase.

If the bike was painted you would not see a thing and would be happily pedalling your bike around right now. Previous threads have shown that this random Carbon frame failures are an urban legend. You are at exponentially more risk for a tire blow out causing a crash and even those are rare.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-10-20, 01:16 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by velopig
2. Looks good but I say ask another person just to be sure.
Sigh. There's a reason you can't diagnose many things from pictures on the internut.

"How much is this Black Lotus card worth?" (pic of card)
"Do I have Covid toe?" (pic of toe)
"Is this a replica 356 or the real thing?" (pic from across the street)
"Do my roof shingles need replacing?" (pic of roof shingles, digital zoomed, from the ground)

-mr. bill
Old 07-10-20, 07:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
"Is this a replica 356 or the real thing?" (pic from across the street)

-mr. bill
real (Rudge knock offs)

Fake (4 bolt VW wheels)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.