Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Late 50's Peugeot PHX10, the blue and yellow one

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 12:47 PM
friendofpugs

Bikes: Trek Farley, Giant Trance X, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 31 Posts

So this popped up in my area yesterday and after some negotiation with the seller, who knew nothing about the bike and wanted it out of his basement, I made the drive and picked it up this morning. I'm guessing it's a late 50's Peugeot PHX10 - I'm thinking 1958, given that it has Reynolds tubing but also has the Simplex push-rod front derailleur, but I'm not exactly sure. It's mostly all original - from what I can tell, it's missing the original wheels, one (!?!) Beborex brake caliper and lever, Ideale saddle, and handlebars/stem. I'm not sure what I'll do about the brakes, as I'd like to put a matching set on the bike - I have an early 1970s Gitane TdF that I could pillage for parts, but I'm open to other options. Would Mafac Competition centerpulls look out of place? Heck I could put the entire front TdF cockpit (Pivo stem, Mafac levers, etc). on this to get it rideable. I just think coming across another Beborex caliper/lever is going to be a real long shot.
Since I already have a Campy Record high flange front hub, maybe I'll do the same for the rear and buy a rear Record hub and lace up a pair of clinchers for it. I've never built a set of wheels before, so this is my chance, right?
Anyways, the plan is to give it a deep cleaning and make it rideable, and maybe find a spot in the house to hang it on the wall. I dunno, if you can't tell, I'm still kinda stunned about it now and my thoughts are all akimbo. I'm just glad the original drivetrain is there, there aren't any dents, and it's my size. I've always wanted a PX10 - the white/black one - and never thought I'd find something like this.
If you have any info you'd like to add, please do.
Serial number: 439993
What would the original wheel set have been?
Original bars and stem?
Anyone holding a Follis Beborex brake lever and caliper they want to sell?

Link to hi-rez album - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/19335210

Last edited by friendofpugs; 10-04-20 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Add serial number and additional info
Likes For friendofpugs:
Old 10-03-20, 01:04 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Wonderful find and thank you for sharing it with the forum.

The 5-4-3 alone is likely worth a house payment.

You could probably find all of the bits needed through the Classic Rendezvous email list.

The ivory coloured plastic knob on the Simplex Competition front mech did not nominally launch until 1960. Earlier examples came with an acorn shaped knob of aluminum.

Original hubs my have been something such as Prior.

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 10-03-20, 01:23 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
I love it! If you ever want to “get that out of your basement” there’s room in mine.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-03-20, 01:30 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
eBay.fr is your friend! It’s worth the hassle! The French guys on Tontonvelo and the Velo Gogo forums are just as bikers for old bikes as we are and I bet they would help!
Old 10-03-20, 01:47 PM
friendofpugs

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Wonderful find and thank you for sharing it with the forum.

The 5-4-3 alone is likely worth a house payment.

You could probably find all of the bits needed through the Classic Rendezvous email list.

The ivory coloured plastic knob on the Simplex Competition front mech did not nominally launch until 1960. Earlier examples came with an acorn shaped knob of aluminum.

Original hubs my have been something such as Prior.

-----
Thank you for pointing out the shifter to help date the bike. I will go bother the CR crowd next.

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I love it! If you ever want to “get that out of your basement” there’s room in mine.
Haha, you bet!

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
eBay.fr is your friend! It’s worth the hassle! The French guys on Tontonvelo and the Velo Gogo forums are just as bikers for old bikes as we are and I bet they would help!
Ok, cool, thanks for the encouragement. If I can source another brake, I'd feel better about it. I'm most of the way there, but I want the bike to be rideable for me too - no tubulars for this guy!
Old 10-03-20, 02:48 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Beautiful, and just my size.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-03-20, 04:16 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Wow.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-03-20, 04:22 PM
gbi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
My first guess would be late 1950s model, there are some people on Tonton velo who might be able to narrow down the year via the serial number.
Likes For gbi:
Old 10-03-20, 04:23 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 311 Posts
Nice find.

Mafac Competition are much later. You should look for Dural Forge IMO.

You are indeed living up to your handle...friendofpugs. LOL

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 10-03-20, 04:35 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
I think @Sixty Fiver had a very similar one but his pics have gone offline unfortunately.
Old 10-03-20, 05:03 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
That is my grail bike. Seriously. But I beg you - get rid of the yellow bar tape, please.
Old 10-03-20, 07:07 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
That is my grail bike. Seriously. But I beg you - get rid of the yellow bar tape, please.
Personally, I would lean towards yellow-gold Tressostar, but yeah - the modern stuff doesn't fit.
Old 10-04-20, 06:14 AM
friendofpugs

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Wow.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by gbi
My first guess would be late 1950s model, there are some people on Tonton velo who might be able to narrow down the year via the serial number.
I think it is late 50s too but I have no expertise in the area. I joined TonTon Velo and posted some pictures and the serial number - which is 439993 by the way.

Originally Posted by CV-6
Nice find.

Mafac Competition are much later. You should look for Dural Forge IMO.

You are indeed living up to your handle...friendofpugs. LOL
I think Mafac Racers would be appropriate too. It looks like the early 60s ones came with Racers.
And I didn't even think about my username - lol - that sure is funny.

Originally Posted by clubman
I think @Sixty Fiver had a very similar one but his pics have gone offline unfortunately.
Thank you, I might bug him with some questions when I have some.

Originally Posted by randyjawa
You got it Randy, I pulled the yellow tape off pronto. I find it amazing that this model would be your grail, given your wonderful Legnano and Rab that you have in your now modest collection. It is a neat bicycle for sure and I hope to preserve it well.
Old 10-04-20, 06:16 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

was slightly surprised to see this chainset on this model for this date

would have expected a Verot 57

so went to bikeboompeugeot to look at their catalogue archive

here is a page from the 1959 french market brochure, unfortunately image too fuzzy to tell a great deal and text does not mention chainset model

one thing found interesting about the machine in the illustration is that it wears Juy model L.J. 23 cable operated front mech

pedals appear to be Lyotard 460D rather than the 23's of subject machine

the archive does not hold a catalogue/brochure for the 1960 year specifically, but rather gives a date of "1960-1962" for this brochure

here is the listing for the PX-10 model in it, shown wearing a Verot 57 chainset and again a model L.J. 23 front mech, and now with MAFAC centrepull arrestors in place of the Bebo sidepulls

-----
Old 10-04-20, 06:22 AM
friendofpugs

Also what's weird is that I posted about this same model for sale in the area in the CL/Ebay thread two years ago - https://www.bikeforums.net/20286360-post46147.html
Old 10-04-20, 06:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Beautiful bike and great score. I'd love to find a road bike from the 50s like this.
Old 10-04-20, 06:34 AM
friendofpugs

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

was slightly surprised to see this chainset on this model for this date

would have expected a Verot 57

so went to bikeboompeugeot to look at their catalogue archive

here is a page from the 1959 french market brochure, unfortunately image too fuzzy to tell a great deal and text does not mention chainset model

one thing found interesting about the machine in the illustration is that it wears Juy model L.J. 23 cable operated front mech

pedals appear to be Lyotard 460D rather than the 23's of subject machine

the archive does not hold a catalogue/brochure for the 1960 year specifically, but rather gives a date of "1960-1962" for this brochure

here is the listing for the PX-10 model in it, shown wearing a Verot 57 chainset and again a model L.J. 23 front mech, and now with MAFAC centrepull arrestors in place of the Bebo sidepulls

-----
Thank you very much Juvela for your much appreciated detective work (and, I might add, for your many valuable contributions to C&V land, I can think of no one else who can chime in with the correct lug set off the top of their head!).
I would like to pin the year down as close as I can, and I am in no way personally tied to a 1958 date. The 1959/1960 machines have top tube cable clips and the cable actuated Simplex FD whereas this bike still has the two top tube braze on cable guides and the push rod FD. The 1958 catalog image seems to have all these features plus the Reynolds tubing.

From https://www.peugeotshow.com/images/1958_3.jpg
Old 10-04-20, 06:43 AM
friendofpugs

Originally Posted by bikemig
Beautiful bike and great score. I'd love to find a road bike from the 50s like this.
Thanks Miguel, it was a bit of a "Hail Mary" effort to buy this. My friend sent me the link to the sale about an hour after it was posted for $50 (!!!). I replied to the listing and offered double that. The seller responded by saying someone was coming in an hour to purchase, but if they flaked on him he'd take my offer. I then doubled my offer and wonder of wonders, the first buyer balked at matching it and the seller went with me.
Old 10-04-20, 08:11 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by friendofpugs
Thanks Miguel, it was a bit of a "Hail Mary" effort to buy this. My friend sent me the link to the sale about an hour after it was posted for $50 (!!!). I replied to the listing and offered double that. The seller responded by saying someone was coming in an hour to purchase, but if they flaked on him he'd take my offer. I then doubled my offer and wonder of wonders, the first buyer balked at matching it and the seller went with me.
Cool, that's how I ended up with my 1960ish Olmo Grand Sport. I had to up my original offer as well because of some competition. Plus the seller liked that it was going to someone who actually knew what it was and how to fix it up properly.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-04-20, 08:34 AM
friendofpugs

Originally Posted by bikemig
Cool, that's how I ended up with my 1960ish Olmo Grand Sport. I had to up my original offer as well because of some competition. Plus the seller liked that it was going to someone who actually knew what it was and how to fix it up properly.
Very cool. I've had this approach fall on deaf ears before too, with the ever scrupulous "I'm going with my first responder even though I underpriced the bike" seller. I sort've hated to be "that guy" with the Pug, but really, you know as well as I do - when are going to see another one of these old bikes for sale, locally, in your size?
Old 10-04-20, 11:34 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Sixty_fiver did not have one of these. It was about the same age, but I think his had cantilevers.

I do have one of these and I cannot differentiate anything between mine and yours, other than yours is more original. I found some catalogs online and dated mine to around mid-1950's by the FD mounting, which was not a clamp-on system.

Good luck with the rebuild!
Likes For beech333:
Old 10-04-20, 12:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
Sixty_fiver did not have one of these. It was about the same age, but I think his had cantilevers.

I do have one of these and I cannot differentiate anything between mine and yours, other than yours is more original. I found some catalogs online and dated mine to around mid-1950's by the FD mounting, which was not a clamp-on system.

Good luck with the rebuild!
You're right, I found a thread and it's identified as a PLX8. Similar colour scheme.
Old 10-04-20, 01:21 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Amazing find!
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-04-20, 04:21 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
You got it Randy, I pulled the yellow tape off pronto. I find it amazing that this model would be your grail, given your wonderful Legnano and Rab that you have in your now modest collection. It is a neat bicycle for sure and I hope to preserve it well.
In my book, the Peugeot PX10's appearance just works and the X10 ride quality is just fine, competing without difficulty with just about anything that I have owned and ridden. Two X10s have come my way and in my second favorite livery...

The blue yellow combination, like the OP's, is my number one favorite livery (even though the bike does not have chrome lugs).

But the Rab is pretty nice now that I have figured out the shifter issue (Campy barcons now).
Old 10-05-20, 01:08 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
@CV-6 said "You should look for Dural Forge IMO."

@friendofpugs replied "I think Mafac Racers would be appropriate too."

Two names for the same thing. Or more accurately, there was never a brake named Dural Forge, it's just that early Racers didn't have the name Racer emblazoned on them, it just said Dural Forge. Which of course is just telling us that they are forged, out of dural, an aluminum alloy.

They used the Dural Forge stamping on other brakes too -- Tiger comes to mind, but there may have been other models too. Eventually they started stamping them with Racer, but the model name was Racer all along. When we say Dural Forge, what we really mean is Racers that are old enough to not be stamped Racer.

Apologies if everyone here already knew that and I'm belaboring the point!

Mark B in Seattle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.