Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

are there something like cleats with straps, bound and fixed to other shoes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

are there something like cleats with straps, bound and fixed to other shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-20, 09:46 PM
Quintessentium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don't see any relevance in your posting to the question except only two clipless pedals and regular shoes are employed as noun as many others. do you have dyslexia?

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If I need clipless then I want a good cycling shoe and if I want to just wear regular shoes than I want a good platform pedal with adjustable or at least replaceable pins. I don't need or want to adapt regular shoes for clipless or clipped pedals. It is just not a good idea.

If you are saying "I am not that athletic" then why bother with clipless pedals in the first place? Having some clunky weird strap on on your feet isn't going to be a good clipless solution. Go ask a professional bike fitter if they recommend some jenky cleat mount for a sneaker. You want that cleat in the right place, it has nothing at all to do with "athleticism" it is all about putting your foot in the right spot for your pedaling and being more efficient and also comfort. Having something that slides around and moves a bunch isn't good for you in that situation and could be dangerous while clipped in.

If I need a bike to do both clipless and platform I would just get the Shimano PD-T8000 or Crank Brothers Double Shot or Mallet DH (if I was using their cleats). Otherwise I would go with a Crank Brothers Stamp (in large for my feet) or Issi Stomp XL or Spank Pedals or one of the many other options in a large platform with replaceable pins (just avoid fakes and knock offs)
Originally Posted by hairnet
This is dumb. Steel is real.
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Holy ****, man. Just ride your bike.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Quintessentium; 10-03-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 10:16 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Maybe I wrote in too complicated way for many people in the forums.

if I carry cycling shoes additionally, that'd be bulky. not every occassion I ride my bike for is not for cycling shoes.

toe strap provided too little attachments.

I'm asking if there is stuffs like cleat adapters for non-clipless shoes to clipless. I expect some loss of power more than cleat shoes, but still more effective than flat pedals in the matter of attachment.
Old 10-03-20, 10:21 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
this one looks the closest thing to what I want so far. thank you very much.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by enine
I found the opposite
https://www.modernbike.com/kool-kovers

there is the one I saw the other day https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Pedals/b/...bin=Fly+Pedals

LMK how well they work and I might buy a set too.
Old 10-03-20, 11:17 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintessentium
the adapted side keeps facing down whenever I put my feet away
Buy two pairs.
Old 10-03-20, 11:20 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Buy two pairs.
seems to me waste of money, weight and inconvenient.

I can't see how it can be better than flat pedals. can I ask to enlighten me?

Last edited by Quintessentium; 10-03-20 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 11:46 PM
Rolla

seems to me waste of money, weight and inconvenient.
I can't see how it can be better than flat pedals. can I ask to enlighten me?
I'll try to be clearer:
  • You can't make non-clipless shoes into clipless shoes.
  • You can buy a shoe with a recessed cleat that would work with both platform and clipless pedals.
  • You can make clipless pedals into platform pedals, by using the clip-in platforms I showed you.
  • If you put a platform on one side of a clipless pedal, it will roll over when you take your foot off of it.
  • You can either learn how to flip the pedal back over, or you can mount a platform on both sides so it doesn't roll over.
  • It's "better" than flat pedals (in your case) because you can remove the platform(s) when you want to be clipless.

Last edited by Rolla; 10-03-20 at 11:51 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-04-20, 12:23 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
actually, there has been. someone in another comment has offered a slight hint to a reliable source,

and my question didn't ask for your pointless thoughts. I've been already familiar with most of what you mentioned.

you look like you delude yourself as you know, but it seems like that only proved yourself as a type of meaningless bigot.

in my country, there's common saying that 'if one just stay still or quiet, at least the one might do a medicore.' .

Originally Posted by Rolla
I'll try to be clearer:
  • You can't make non-clipless shoes into clipless shoes.
  • You can buy a shoe with a recessed cleat that would work with both platform or clipless pedals.
  • You can make clipless pedals into platform pedals, by using the clip-in platforms I showed you.
  • If you put a platform on one side of a clipless pedal, it will roll over when you take your foot off of it.
  • So you can either learn how to flip the pedal back over, or you could mount a platform on both sides so it doesn't roll over.
  • It's "better" than flat pedals (in your case) because you can remove the platform(s) when you want to be clipless.

Last edited by Quintessentium; 10-04-20 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-04-20, 12:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Winwood Instep made toe clips for clipless adapters. Both "Look" and "SPD" styles. They've been out of production for quite some time now, but they do periodically show up on E-Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...winwood+instep

It looks like all I'm seeing are "Look" style at the moment, but the SPD style do exist.

There is also the winwood decksters which is a platform attachment, and perhaps more recent production.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...wood+decksters

I tried to use the Winwood Instep using clipless shoes, just for fun, and they didn't work well, but that may have been because the shoes are so thick. "Normal" shoes might have been better.. I've converted almost exclusively to SPD shoes, and haven't found them to be needed.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-04-20, 01:57 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
thank you so much! this is the kind of what I'm looking for !

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Winwood Instep made toe clips for clipless adapters. Both "Look" and "SPD" styles. They've been out of production for quite some time now, but they do periodically show up on E-Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...winwood+instep

It looks like all I'm seeing are "Look" style at the moment, but the SPD style do exist.

There is also the winwood decksters which is a platform attachment, and perhaps more recent production.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...wood+decksters

I tried to use the Winwood Instep using clipless shoes, just for fun, and they didn't work well, but that may have been because the shoes are so thick. "Normal" shoes might have been better.. I've converted almost exclusively to SPD shoes, and haven't found them to be needed.
Old 10-04-20, 05:33 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Forgive me but the OP seems to be searching for a solution to a problem that was solved 60-70 years ago. (or more)
I've personally ridden with most options. Toe clips PLUS straps ( we really should have spelled out that toe clips are supposed to work with straps) are really very good at retaining your feet and only marginally less secure than cleats, toe clips and straps or modern clips systems and I have certainly sprinted with toeclips, straps and street shoes.

Straps without toeclips is a serious step backwards.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 10-04-20, 06:12 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I'm not sure what the OP was asking but this type popped in my head.
Back in the late '80s and early '90s Joel Thompson or Matt Brick couldn't beat duathlon king Kenny Souza. Duathlon are a run bike run event. Generally it was a 5k run followed by a 30k bike then another 5k run. Btw (they would run a sub 15 min 5k then ride at average about 28 mph then click off a 15 min 5k) Although he was as fast a runner, he was a tiny bit slower on the bike and could never close that less than a minute gap. So he tried a variation of these allowing him to use his racing running shoes on the bike segment and having a faster transition from bike to run.

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-04-20 at 01:10 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-04-20, 08:37 AM
Rolla

and my question didn't ask for your pointless thoughts. I've been already familiar with most of what you mentioned.
you look like you delude yourself as you know, but it seems like that only proved yourself as a type of meaningless bigot.
I can't imagine why you're attacking me for trying to help you, but I'll assume your rudeness is due to a language barrier. Good luck with your shoe problem.
Old 10-04-20, 09:44 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG

Straps without toeclips is a serious step backwards.
I had used a toe clip with straps. Below is the exact model which I‘ve used.

I think I somewhat reached to a best preexistent solution.

Thank you for a thought.

Old 10-04-20, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I don't see any relevance in your posting to the question except only two clipless pedals and regular shoes are employed as noun as many others. do you have dyslexia?
No dyslexia here...sorry bud. I said what I said to help you figure out what you needed. Please feel free to ask questions on what I said because it seems like we might have a language barrier and that is why you assume I have dyslexia. Or it is possible you don't understand clipless and clipped pedals.

As I said go ask a professional bike fitter about your ideas and see what they say.
Old 10-04-20, 08:29 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I didn't ask about common pedal attachment neither other's irrelevant personal preferances like yours.

what I asked is already mentioned in the original question.

still your comments have presented a kind of the least relevances.

if I disclose my intention necessarily more,

though self-obsessed bigotries could be rarely helpful,

but in this question I don't particularly expect ever more from such.

No dyslexia here...sorry bud. I said what I said to help you figure out what you needed. Please feel free to ask questions on what I said because it seems like we might have a language barrier and that is why you assume I have dyslexia. Or it is possible you don't understand clipless and clipped pedals.

As I said go ask a professional bike fitter about your ideas and see what they say.
Old 10-04-20, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I didn't ask about common pedal attachment neither other's irrelevant personal preferances like yours.

what I asked is already mentioned in the original question.

still your comments have presented a kind of the least relevances.

if I disclose my intention necessarily more,

though self-obsessed bigotries could be rarely helpful,

but in this question I don't particularly expect ever more from such.
I gave you useful information and tried to take apart what you said and think about it more logically and try to help you. If you don't want the help, then I suggest maybe a bike forum is not for you. I work in the industry, I know bikes, I know pedals, I know a little bit about fit and riding and tried to pass that info on to you. Bikes are how I make my living and one of my biggest passions in life.

If you want to throw a cleat on your shoe go for it. Take some hot glue and just put it anywhere on the shoe and just ride like that. It is a bad idea but it is exactly what you want.

There is a reason clipless pedals and shoes exist, there is a reason good flat pedals with pins exist and we did clipped pedals before all of that and for some on the track in more modern times (though typically with a clipless pedal as part of it just for double holding power for Quadzillas, paging Robert Forstermann). There is a reason they call running shoes, running shoes and hiking boots, hiking boots. They serve particular purposes though yes you can ride in running shoes they just aren't going to be practical and efficient but if you are not "athletic" as you said that doesn't really matter to you and if it did you would get the proper set up or do as I said by getting the "flip flop" pedals like the Shimano PD-T8000s or Crank Bros DoubleShot. It seems silly to do something else but what do I know after many years in bike shops and studying gear and other topics related to cycling and having pedals as described and having used a lot of different pedals.
Old 10-04-20, 09:09 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
ugh, you reminds me of blinded christian missionaries what nobody except themselves care.

if I continue to reply, it'll have to be a thesis which I don't find that much need.

so I'll hope your best for something really beneficial for your life and value and for others as well.

and I'll just roughly say that you're a validly existent individual life form, but other each individuals are so too.

I gave you useful information and tried to take apart what you said and think about it more logically and try to help you. If you don't want the help, then I suggest maybe a bike forum is not for you. I work in the industry, I know bikes, I know pedals, I know a little bit about fit and riding and tried to pass that info on to you. Bikes are how I make my living and one of my biggest passions in life.

If you want to throw a cleat on your shoe go for it. Take some hot glue and just put it anywhere on the shoe and just ride like that. It is a bad idea but it is exactly what you want.

There is a reason clipless pedals and shoes exist, there is a reason good flat pedals with pins exist and we did clipped pedals before all of that and for some on the track in more modern times (though typically with a clipless pedal as part of it just for double holding power for Quadzillas, paging Robert Forstermann). There is a reason they call running shoes, running shoes and hiking boots, hiking boots. They serve particular purposes though yes you can ride in running shoes they just aren't going to be practical and efficient but if you are not "athletic" as you said that doesn't really matter to you and if it did you would get the proper set up or do as I said by getting the "flip flop" pedals like the Shimano PD-T8000s or Crank Bros DoubleShot. It seems silly to do something else but what do I know after many years in bike shops and studying gear and other topics related to cycling and having pedals as described and having used a lot of different pedals.
Old 10-04-20, 09:18 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
This may be worth mentioning. When using toe clips and straps, the straps need to be pretty tight for high performance purposes. Uncomfortably tight to keep your feet in place and yes I've had my feet go numb on long rides in the past.
Old 10-04-20, 09:26 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
This bot's translation program has completely failed at this point.
actually I don't use translation program.

I was saying his personal life, working in the bike business, passion, bike industry, blah blah blah doesn't matter to the question.

he's like preaching his industrial conventional thoughts to a person who already declined it.

there can be a man who served their entire life as a missionary, they can have their ideas about life of human. but do I buy that or even ever asked?
Old 10-04-20, 09:27 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
not to me. I already expect it when tightening that much.

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
This may be worth mentioning. When using toe clips and straps, the straps need to be pretty tight for high performance purposes. Uncomfortably tight to keep your feet in place and yes I've had my feet go numb on long rides in the past.
Old 10-04-20, 09:35 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I guess here's another person with dyslexia problem?

Here, let's see if this works.
Old 10-04-20, 10:01 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
maybe after yours

Yup, definitely broken. The reset didn't work.

Someone needs to get in there and fix the code, recomplie, and then see if it begins to make any sense at all.
Old 10-05-20, 12:40 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

What you asked about is a solution to a problem you’ve brought on yourself.

You can either use clipless pedals with compatible shoes, flats (or toe clips) with ‘regular’ shoes, or a hybrid/touring pedal that’s got a platform on one side and an SPD on the other, so you can use either, depending on what shoes you’re wearing.
One solution requires swapping the pedals between rides, which isn’t a big deal, if you do a little prep work; The other way just requires flipping the pedal to the appropriate side for the shoes you’ve got on.

The way you’ve chosen requires you to adapt your shoes to the pedals, rather than using pedals and shoes that work together.
I wish you good luck in your search for “The Part That Does”
Old 10-05-20, 04:49 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
ooh, another dyslexic bigotry-obsessed preacher.

I’ve gotten the info even without your worthless good luck:

abd I‘ve used 3 set of cleat shoes meanwhile the question doesn’t ask what these dogmatists babble.

these kind of zombies delude themselves they’re ‘helping.’ even before they learn how to distinguish what to read before reply anything.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
What you asked about is a solution to a problem you’ve brought on yourself.

… …

Last edited by Quintessentium; 10-05-20 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-05-20, 06:19 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

I’ve gotten the info even without your worthless good luck

abd I‘ve used 3 set of cleat shoes meanwhile the question doesn’t ask what these dogmatists babble.

these kind of zombies delude themselves they’re ‘helping.’ even before they learn how to distinguish what to read before reply anything.
You asked for something you could strap to a regular shoe and then use it to clip in and out of an SPD pedal. At least, that’s how you wrote your first post:

hello
are there something like of cleats with straps, bound and fixed to other shoes,

so I can use cleats on most of any non-cleat shoes.
The Fly adapters you linked, like most all of the other similar platform adapters, are intended to be clipped into the pedal first, then you put your foot in. I tried one of those about 20 years ago, and gave it up, as snapping those things on and off (particularly off) by hand was way more of a hassle than spinning a pair of pedals on.

I’ve gotten the info even without your worthless good luck
I’d be real careful tossing around language like that. You asked a question about a thing that isn’t very common (cause it’s an idea that doesn’t work very well) and you got mad at people who told you that.

I’m not a bigot or a zealot, especially as far as bicycles are concerned; and personally, I’m a lot of things but definitely not dyslexic; Better get right with your DSM-5 before you start throwing diagnoses around, Tough Guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.