Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rossin frameset Salvaged

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rossin frameset Salvaged

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 12:43 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Rossin frameset Salvaged

My bike collective is closing (very bummed out!) and someone was trying to figure out what make/model this frame is; I grabbed a 27.2mm post to check fit, and voila, perfect! I guess they didn't trust the decals, fork, or seatstay caps. I was gleaning their used parts, but got distracted when this got carried out from the back; threw a price at them and nearly ran out of the shop before anyone realized what was going on; I forgot to take the parts I'd already paid for! The next day upon returning to retrieve aforementioned parts there were some questions as to how that frame disappeared for not much $. It is a Rossin with Columbus frame (SL, not SLX checked at BB shell) and fork. I don't know the model, I'm assuming later 80's model. It has very nice externally fit seatstay caps, Cinelli brake bridge, Campy dropouts front and rear, and through the BB shell cable routing. Yes, it's got some rust, paint loss (looks intentional, started to get restored at earlier date?), and the TT cable guides are "ground" off (why?, assumed they were crushed or just too far gone). Size stamp on BB is 52, measured 52.5mm c-c, and TSD (Ten Speed Drive?, were they still in business at that time?) stamped into the right side dropout. First Rossin in the shed so I'm not familiar with their models; thought I'd heard of an RL (?) model somewhere before. Anyone with knowledge of this marque/model? This is definitely getting new paint (any suggestions, I'm open to them), might and probably will just add TT clamp-ons vice braze-on guides. I like the looks overall and it is my size height and length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rossin1.jpg (1.11 MB, 159 views)
rossin2.jpg (496.5 KB, 160 views)
rossin3.jpg (1.00 MB, 159 views)
rossin4.jpg (1.15 MB, 155 views)
rossin5.jpg (554.9 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by HPL; 08-27-19 at 07:13 AM. Reason: photos
Likes For HPL:
Old 08-26-19, 03:41 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Great find! I wonder if the cable guides were removed because someone wanted a fixie? Thankfully someone stopped them before they got to the shifter bosses and RD hanger.

Any sign of a FD tab?
Old 08-26-19, 04:05 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
If you want a good resource to research your Rossin's model you could go to this site:

"Vintage Rossin Archive" and I think this is the URL: https://rossinproject.blogspot.com/

I too think it is a mid to late 80's model and probably Columbus SL/SLX. I've 'got my money' on SLX. I also think it may be a Rosin Record model?

Very nice find too. I wonder if the rear brake cable guides were removed to make it into a fixed wheel "Fixie"? Probably with only a front brake fitted?

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 08-26-19 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 04:21 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Great find! I wonder if the cable guides were removed because someone wanted a fixie? Thankfully someone stopped them before they got to the shifter bosses and RD hanger.

Any sign of a FD tab?
The cable guides are the holes in the BB shell, they go thru them. A lot of the SL frames I've had and seen from that period didn't have FD mounts and used clamp ons. TSDI was definitely in business then.
Old 08-26-19, 05:19 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I believe that TSD acquired the USA distribution license for Rossin for the 1987 model year, to replace Ciocc. Regarding models it is obviously not a Ghibli. It would not appear to be the standard SLX model, as these used internal routing for the rear brake cable, an investment cast, bridgeless BB shell, a fornt derailleur hanger and extensive chrome. Of course, this is relatively easy to verify by removing the the bottom bracket and check the inside ends of the tubes for the helical ridges indicative of SLX. That narrows it down to SL and Cromor. I don't recall the Cromor model having the socket style stay caps, so I'm leaning towards towards the SL model.
Old 08-26-19, 06:09 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
The cable guides are the holes in the BB shell, they go thru them.
The OP said the top tube cable guides have been removed.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 08-26-19, 06:34 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
The OP said the top tube cable guides have been removed.
See what I missed in school ? Reading
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 08-27-19, 01:34 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I believe that TSD acquired the USA distribution license for Rossin for the 1987 model year, to replace Ciocc. Regarding models it is obviously not a Ghibli. It would not appear to be the standard SLX model, as these used internal routing for the rear brake cable, an investment cast, bridgeless BB shell, a fornt derailleur hanger and extensive chrome. Of course, this is relatively easy to verify by removing the the bottom bracket and check the inside ends of the tubes for the helical ridges indicative of SLX. That narrows it down to SL and Cromor. I don't recall the Cromor model having the socket style stay caps, so I'm leaning towards towards the SL model.
I did check for "SLX" at the BB shell but no discernible "ridges" by sight or feel. I was going with the "SL" due to that, definitely a 27.2mm seat tube I.D.. It doesn't appear to have been repainted; no FD braze-on tab, two sets bidon mount bosses. I've got plenty of clamp-on FD's in the parts bin so actually a good thing.

Anybody got some paint suggestions; It will be orange of some sort if I don't get any thing from the "gallery". I'm not into painting bikes, but this one is going to need it!

Good point about the missing TT guides for making it a "fixie"; that's well out of the scope of my "radar", so never even crossed my mind.

Thanks to all for the insight. Very good as usual!

Last edited by HPL; 08-27-19 at 02:58 AM.
Likes For HPL: