Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Car Door...It Should Have Come As No Surprise...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 06:25 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

I was surprised by a car door on last night's ride home. But it should have come as no surprise. Upon replay of the ride video you can see the white BMW pulling up to the curb and stopping with its brake lights on...although it was 40 seconds until the car door opened. In my defense, there was some cross traffic and a dip in the road to keep my attention.

And once again a ride video shows that I was not as close to danger as it seemed at the time.

Yes, the driver should have looked more carefully...I have both a bright flasher on my helmet, and another flasher on my front fork. Lucky for me I was only going about 8 or 9 mph on a long gradual rise.

Just a reminder that car doors can open at any time, even if a car has sat motionless for a while.

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-28-20 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 06:56 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I'm glad that you were able to avoid an incident.

In my city, they put the narrow buffer lane between street parking and the bike lane. I think your street planners did you a disservice by lining the lanes like that.

Old 08-29-20, 08:51 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I wish drivers were more careful and looked for cyclists. But I can't say that I would do the same thing as a driver if I were in a hurry or thinking about something else. I generally don't park on the street, fortunately. As a cyclist, I am always watching for cars pulling up on the side of the road and assume they won't be looking for me. Fortunately very little of my riding is in situation that could lead to getting doored.
Old 08-30-20, 05:22 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
So you were riding along, and someone opened their car door, and nothing happened... Okay... Glad you got video of it. I want my click back.
Old 08-30-20, 06:44 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
If you had stopped at that stop sign, the driver would have been out and gone when you got there.
Likes For Tusk: