Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable end stops

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cable end stops

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-20, 07:41 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Cable end stops

My bike uses a few of these ... thingies, for want of a better word, for the gear cables. They can drop out rather easily which makes me nervous. Can someone tell me what they're called and where I might get some more. I've found something which might do on Ebay but I'd rather get the correct part if I can. The outside diameter is 6mm, inside is about 4mm and the lip is around 8mm.

Old 10-08-20, 07:44 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Cable housing end caps. You can go to your local shop and if you ask nicely they give you enough to finish a bike without charging you.
Old 10-08-20, 07:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Cable housing end caps.
Cable housing ferrules, actually.

You can go to your local shop and if you ask nicely they give you enough to finish a bike without charging you.
Probably. You can, however, find them in various colors to match a color scheme. Don’t expect to get those for free.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-08-20, 10:37 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I would suggest that you use brass or aluminum ferrules for brake lines and only use plastic ones for shift cables, due to the higher stresses and safety considerations for brakes.
Old 10-08-20, 10:54 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Can someone tell me what they're called and where I might get some more. I've found something which might do on Ebay but I'd rather get the correct part if I can. The outside diameter is 6mm, inside is about 4mm and the lip is around 8mm.
Universal Cycles is a good source for this type of part:
https://www.universalcycles.com/sear...=cable+ferrule
Old 10-08-20, 06:03 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Those actually look like stops that are meant to convert a housing guide into a cable stop. You can find some similar ones here https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=46818
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-09-20, 01:42 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Thanks everyone. Looks like those Jagwire bits should do the trick.
Old 10-09-20, 01:52 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Those actually look like stops that are meant to convert a housing guide into a cable stop. You can find some similar ones here https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=46818
Precisely.

The above flurry of nonsensical answers about "ferrules" is disconcerting, when the parts in question are obviously not ferrules.

Also Jagwire ones are 5mm I.D. The OP claims that theirs are 4mm I.D... Are they really?

Last edited by AndreyT; 10-09-20 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 06:01 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by AndreyT
Also Jagwire ones are 5mm I.D. The OP claims that theirs are 4mm I.D... Are they really?
Yes, I think so, although they're hard to measure. They are designed for shifter cables, not brakes, so 4mm would make sense.

This is where they fit, so there's no chance of them getting lost in normal use. However, they do fit quite loosely so when I change the cables it wouldn't be impossible to lose one, so it's the sort of thing I like to have spares of.

The Jagwire ones just said 5mm; I wasn't sure if that was internal or external. If that is internal then they probably wouldn't fit.
Old 10-09-20, 08:52 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Also try contacting the mfr. of your bike as they may sell spares. Sometimes they make these little bits slightly different than what you can get from other suppliers. The dreaded "proprietary" part. Can't say for sure though so you may be fine getting some Jagwire or ?? replacements.
Old 10-09-20, 08:58 AM
jgwilliams

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Also try contacting the mfr. of your bike as they may sell spares.
Yes, I would certainly do that except they don't appear to be in business any more. The web site hasn't been updated since 2018 and all emails are bouncing back. I left a question on their Facebook page about the bottom bracket and that hasn't been answered either. It's a real shame as they seem to be pretty well regarded bikes in the press.
Old 10-09-20, 09:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
^^Oh, well that's not good. What make and model is your bike? Someone here may have some inside info.
Old 10-09-20, 09:33 AM
jgwilliams

It's a 2018 Mekk Poggio. It says made in Taiwan on it so I imagine the parts have probably been widely used on a number of frames. I just need to find out which ones.
Old 10-09-20, 10:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Precisely.

The above flurry of nonsensical answers about "ferrules" is disconcerting, when the parts in question are obviously not ferrules.

The answers above aren’t nonsensical. If the part in question was a stop, it would be larger than 4 (or even 5) mm. A 4mm or 5mm ferrule usually fits into the cable stop. The stop that dsaul links to is meant to go into a hydraulic brake guide so that cable brakes can be used and is at least 5mm outside diameter and perhaps larger. It won’t fit. Here’s how those stops are used

Here’s a 4mm ferrule in the cable guide for reference. You can see that the Jagwire cable stop would be to large to fit in jgwilliams frame shown in post 9.

The cable ends that jgwilliams showed in post 1 are both stops and ferrules. They are called nosed ferrules or nosed end caps. Jagwire used to make them but I don’t see them on the website. There is a listing on Fleabay for a 5 pack. Universal Cycles sells a Shimano version. The Shimano model number is Y6AM98080, although some of those don’t have the stepped end.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-09-20 at 10:06 AM.