Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 01:13 PM
MJH2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickel
Any of these Chicago area races every have a bike demo associated with them? </wishful thinking>
You looking to putz around on a bunch of bikes, or are you wanting to try racing one?

If it's the latter, let me know. I've got a size 58. As long as you're not wanting to try it in 30+, you're welcome to borrow it. Bike swapping ain't all that unusual in cross. Hell, I think everybody on Tati races on the same bike.
Old 10-15-10, 02:59 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH2
You seem to be projecting a thought on to me that I don't really possess. But, I will say if CCC races are that much of a cash cow, I would like to see more of that money returned back by way of cash payouts to the elites. To be honest, though, not all of these races are that lucrative. If your races happens to be on the day after everybody goes to Halloween parties you get a lot less riders. Or, if you are the day after another CCC race, it seems that you could use every rider available. (I think I just talked myself into racing Carpentersville)

People who REALLY want to race but race infrequently are more tolerant of higher entry fees because they see them as an "occasional" burden. This (and "finisher medals" for the guy in 443234th place) is how triathlon gets away with insane entry fees.

Anyhow, I know that the CCC Machinery and I have a difference of opinion on a few things. No big deal. Despite that, it's a great series, and I still enjoy it every time I come out (to ride or watch).
Not trying to incite anything, just a comment, but your team hosts one of the more popular races on the CCC calendar. I understand the mechanics of the budget for that event (in 1 or 2 people's heads only and not to be shared with anyone else), but if the payout is to be bigger it starts with the promoters. Seems like you should have more of a team than a series issue - at least with that specific event.

Luckily we are helping host 2 of the races this year. While helping we are not on the permit or allowed to really take a role in the construction or execution of the budgets.....but I get to race for a nominal fee as a result. Me likey.

I like racing cyclocross. I like seeing my friends every week. I like being able to race within a short drive from my house. I have never received a payout and probably never will....therefore the purse is meaningless to me. Distance I have to travel, race time, course friendliness to families....these are my concerns. So far everyone gets an A+.

Old 10-15-10, 03:10 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Not trying to incite anything, just a comment, but your team hosts one of the more popular races on the CCC calendar. I understand the mechanics of the budget for that event (in 1 or 2 people's heads only and not to be shared with anyone else), but if the payout is to be bigger it starts with the promoters. Seems like you should have more of a team than a series issue - at least with that specific event.

Luckily we are helping host 2 of the races this year. While helping we are not on the permit or allowed to really take a role in the construction or execution of the budgets.....but I get to race for a nominal fee as a result. Me likey.

I like racing cyclocross. I like seeing my friends every week. I like being able to race within a short drive from my house. I have never received a payout and probably never will....therefore the purse is meaningless to me. Distance I have to travel, race time, course friendliness to families....these are my concerns. So far everyone gets an A+.
What are you talking about? The rider numbers at our race were well below the average numbers for the last two years (not sure how long they've been keeping track), especially last year (Halloween). How does that make it one of the more popular races? And I'm not sure that I have an "issue" with anything (except the high entry fees). Opinions, I have.

I freely admit that my opinions seem to be in the extreme minority. I'm ok with that.

Last edited by MJH2; 10-15-10 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 03:24 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rider numbers from a few races last year (picked at random EXCEPT for Woodstock, which has the potential for "worst" combination of distance from population center and potential for bad weather):

Campton 404
Indian Lakes 442
Bartlett 424
Woodstock 446
Northbrook 430 (and they, sadly, were forced to make that race tentative pending favorable weather)

Last edited by MJH2; 10-15-10 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 03:31 PM
Mr. Scrooby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He may have been referring to me, and it's true: We're lucky to have a great position on the calendar, and thanks to the timing, the weather and proximity to Chicago, we've had a couple of great years. (So great that we came up with the relay race to take advantage of the late-summer demand.)

Proximity, I think, has a much bigger bearing on turnout than payout. Then again, Hopkins Park, which is one of the farthest flung of the series, had a fantastic turnout this year. I think it has to do with Half Acre's reputation for knowing how to have a good time. And the buzz over the flyover helped.

AFAIK this is the first year the series has tried to double up on weekends, and I'm bummed that it appears to have split the turnout, especially in the women 4's and men's 3's. On the other hand, it's allowed for some overflow in the 4's, so more beginners will get a chance to race this weekend, and that's a good thing.
Old 10-15-10, 06:50 PM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Scrooby
How is the purse size putting the CCC to shame? The CCC payout is both bigger and deeper. ($200 vs. $180 in the elites, $275 vs. $100 between the 3's and 4's, $475 vs. $300 for the masters.)
This is a joke, right?

Last edited by carlosflanders; 10-15-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 09:30 PM
Nickel
Splicer of Molecules

Bikes: Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You looking to putz around on a bunch of bikes, or are you wanting to try racing one?

If it's the latter, let me know. I've got a size 58. As long as you're not wanting to try it in 30+, you're welcome to borrow it. Bike swapping ain't all that unusual in cross. Hell, I think everybody on Tati races on the same bike.

thanks for the offer but I am definitely more of a 50 I am with my partner on a job interview and I thought I might check out the racing scene but we might be a bit busy looking around at housing. Too bad!
Old 10-17-10, 12:58 PM
Speedster22

Bikes: Felt F3C w/ Campy Chorus; Motobecane Vent Noir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Badger Prairie yesterday. Not a fan of the course at all. Grass paths through, you guessed it, a prairie. A small amount of technical stuff, but more of a grass crit than anything. 17th in the 4s for me. I think the venue has potential, but needs work.

Kletzsch Park next weekend. That's a fun one. Me likey.

Now if I could only get my bike back from Blue....
Old 10-17-10, 06:03 PM
Mr. Scrooby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosflanders
This is a joke, right?
Forget it. We apparently just have different definitions of what "put to shame means."

I don't care where people choose to do their cross, so long as they choose to do so. The more, the merrier!
Old 10-17-10, 06:31 PM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's cool. Cross on!
Old 10-17-10, 09:26 PM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedster22
Badger Prairie yesterday. Not a fan of the course at all. Grass paths through, you guessed it, a prairie. A small amount of technical stuff, but more of a grass crit than anything. 17th in the 4s for me. I think the venue has potential, but needs work.

I did that race last year and fully agree. Cam-rock next week is a fantastic course.
Old 10-18-10, 08:35 AM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like money.
I like winning money.
I don't need money to be on the line to race or enjoy racing.
I guess I'm a chump.
Old 10-18-10, 03:40 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just want everybody to be happy. Can't we all get along?
Old 10-19-10, 08:25 AM
Mr. Scrooby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't take us too seriously, Spring Water. We just like to argue.

Whether road or cross, I always say payout should be the last reason anyone chooses to race. That said, I'll point out that ABD is more than doubling the payout for this Sunday's race, and the South Chicago Wheelmen are more than tripling the payouts for the two days of Indian Lakes in November.

I expect boffo turnouts as a result!
Old 10-19-10, 09:04 AM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I know this, trust me.
Old 10-19-10, 09:40 AM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whether road or cross, I always say payout should be the last reason anyone chooses to race. That said, I'll point out that ABD is more than doubling the payout for this Sunday's race, and the South Chicago Wheelmen are more than tripling the payouts for the two days of Indian Lakes in November.

I expect boffo turnouts as a result!
I sure hope so! I will be working this event, go figure, but I will also be heckling, so be prepared. If you didn't know, I am the 240+ pound dude in Adidas attire talking major trash. Trash that I can't and probably will never be able to back up PBR handups, or should I get a fine Octoberfest and some funky cups?
Old 10-19-10, 09:50 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by nixternal
I sure hope so! I will be working this event, go figure, but I will also be heckling, so be prepared. If you didn't know, I am the 240+ pound dude in Adidas attire talking major trash. Trash that I can't and probably will never be able to back up PBR handups, or should I get a fine Octoberfest and some funky cups?
Did you slap my ass on the pump section? If not will you slap my ass on Sunday?

Old 10-19-10, 12:07 PM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Did you slap my ass on the pump section? If not will you slap my ass on Sunday?
Maybe. Fore sure! Actually, I didn't slap an ass, but there were a couple of people who did, xXx jersey on one, and I think the other jersey was either BH or Village.
Old 10-22-10, 01:04 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like I am officially, unofficially retired from cross competition this year. Only part of this decision is based on flashbacks from the sudden cold/wind snap of Bartlett '08 that left the entire Cat 4b field freezing mid-race and lead to the official tent being torn down before the end of the race (to hasten departure). I'll still be out there each week, though.

Now, can we get back to bickering? That was amusing.
Old 10-22-10, 01:11 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like I am officially, unofficially retired from cross competition this year. Only part of this decision is based on flashbacks from the sudden cold/wind snap of Bartlett '08 that left the entire Cat 4b field freezing mid-race and lead to the official tent being torn down before the end of the race (to hasten departure). I'll still be out there each week, though.

Now, can we get back to bickering? That was amusing.
Quit being a girl and hurry up and register for your race.
Old 10-22-10, 01:39 PM
MJH2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't make me. I'm done, and have permission from da Coach to be done.

I'll be out there watching the ladies of BH duke it out, though. Then helping tear down for Campton.
Old 10-22-10, 05:43 PM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember that well. I think I had to sprint off course in order to avoid being taken out by the officials tent, must have been a good dozen people trying to hold it down.

MJH2, your Dolan is going to be very sad.
Old 10-23-10, 10:02 AM
nixternal
Fat man in a little coat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MJH2, tomorrow is going to be warm, cloudy, with a very slight chance of rain. We have gone over the weather and it looks like any rain or storms will skirt just west of us, and that doesn't happen until after sunset almost. Come on man, I need more people to heckle
Old 10-23-10, 06:43 PM
John Wilke

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
James LaLonde kicked some ass at Kletch Park today.

Old 10-23-10, 06:51 PM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wa Happen MJH2?

Unfortunately this is going to give you even more time to heckle me isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.