Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Replacing bearings on WI hub

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 11:20 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts

My rear tandem hub needs new bearings.
White Industries lists the bearings as 6902-2RS.

Would these work?

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Bearing.aspx

Is there any preferred brand? I hear Enduro a lot.
The instructions also call for a bearing puller. I found this one:

https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ng+Puller.aspx

I assume to press the bearings in you could use a large bolt and washers?
Is 2 years reasonable for bearing life?
Old 12-02-11, 07:50 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2 years... depends on how many miles you rode in those two years. If it's anything less than 8k miles for an unloaded road tandem used in good weather that's not reasonable in my mind.

We have over 15,000 miles on a set of White Ind hubs, circa 2002, without any issues. However, I'm pretty diligent when it comes to adjusting pre-load during the break-in period they didn't see a lot of heavy use in heavy rain conditions or high-dust/gritty environments.

Enduro bearings are OK, and Phil Wood is also a great source for excellent bearings that will give you 25k miles or more of life... that's the least I've seen on hubs within our circle of friends where I have first hand knowledge
Old 12-02-11, 08:52 AM
steve53mg

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santana Visa TAndem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak about WI hubs, but I replaced the bearings on my Suzue front hub last year. I used the axle as a removal tool. This particular axle has a shoulder on the inside of the bearing surface and I tapped it lightly and the old bearing slid out very easily. Hopefully yours will come out easily as well! If they are stubborn, the tool that you show will press against the outer ring. A washer, as you mentioned, or a socket that matches the surface of the outer ring should press the new bearing into place. I bought my new bearings from Phil Wood...he has a good variety of sizes in stock. They, if memory serves, are made in China, but supposedly are of superior quality. I have about 1500 miles on them and they are very smooth.
Old 12-02-11, 09:48 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I would say it is probably close to 8K.
We did a few trips with panniers but they were pretty light, plus stoker doesn't weigh much.
Have to admit I don't check or do maintenance the hubs, just found this by accident while replacing a broken spoke.

Originally Posted by TandemGeek
2 years... depends on how many miles you rode in those two years. If it's anything less than 8k miles for an unloaded road tandem used in good weather that's not reasonable in my mind.

We have over 15,000 miles on a set of White Ind hubs, circa 2002, without any issues. However, I'm pretty diligent when it comes to adjusting pre-load during the break-in period they didn't see a lot of heavy use in heavy rain conditions or high-dust/gritty environments.

Enduro bearings are OK, and Phil Wood is also a great source for excellent bearings that will give you 25k miles or more of life... that's the least I've seen on hubs within our circle of friends where I have first hand knowledge
Old 12-02-11, 12:08 PM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Another data point. 10K miles and rear bearing on our DT Hugi hubs started creaking and were replaced. 280-290 team weight unloaded some wet riding.

Wayne