Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

1989 Schwinn Duo Sport

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

1989 Schwinn Duo Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 11:08 AM
Timm40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1989 Schwinn Duo Sport

Just picked up a 1989 Duo Sport....for 150.00. Has Suntour Accushift 6000, Dia Compe 993 brakes.....46 hole Suzue high flange hubs...Cinelli stems and bars. Just dusty from sitting a garage for the past 15 years. Needs a deep cleaning....polishing. Cleaned up and shined and complete overhual.........if I decided to flip this......what could I expect? This is my first tandem........may take a while to get tired of it.
Old 02-19-12, 01:55 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Probably $300 to $400 max.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 02-19-12, 03:55 PM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you
Old 02-19-12, 04:24 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Agree with Onegun. . .
Be aware that the DuoSport has a bit of a short wheelbase and is several inches shorter in the stoker compartment than more recent tandems.
Having said that, it sold for about $1,500 when new and was really undervalued at the time it was introduced. Schwinn never really pushed it although it was a very nice riding/handling tandem for its time.
Did 3 months of test riding on one for the company before it was available to the public.
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 02-19-12, 05:24 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They were a decent ride. If I'm not mistaken they even utilized the Paramount tube sets. But that's about the time the whole industry changed everything, so obsolescence wasn't far in its future.

But still, if you're one of the "steel is real" crowd AND it fits you and your stoker, it may well be around for a while. Keep in mind that NOBODY in this forum owns just ONE tandem!!!
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 02-20-12, 03:52 AM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do like lugged steel....I have several road and MTB bikes I have brought back to life. This going to be a perfect fit for us.....wife is 4' 11" 98 lbs. and I'm 6' 0". The only issues I can find so far is a few paint chip areas.....with first signs of surface rust. For the life of me I can't figure out why there is no cable routing guides under the bottom brackets........steel wire rubbing against painted steel......I need to find some sort of stick on cable guides. Will standard length shift/brake cables fit tandems or is there a whole new cat. of tandem parts? Need to soak all bolts and nuts with WD-40 for a day or so as to make sure they don't strip out during overhaul........the eccentric BB looks like it's going to be fun to learn about. The San Marco saddles are in perfect condition. The 48 hole wheels should be fun to true and to check with dishing tool and uniform all spoke tension.
Old 02-20-12, 07:58 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Call Mel @ Tandems East or Jack @ Tandems Ltd. I'm sure either one of them can dig up some plastic cable guides for you. If there are any existing screw holes for guides, they probably won't line up, but SuperGlue is your friend.

And save those links, BTW, because the cables and a many other parts ARE tandem specific. Also have a look at Mel's collection of varying length and configuration of adjustable stoker stems to get your stoker dialed in correctly if need be.

BTW, your username info doesn't tell us where you are, and that's real helpful in pointing you to more local resources, be they knowledgeable local tandem shops or local tandem clubs and rides.

Welcome to the fold.

Old 02-20-12, 09:18 AM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips.......I am in Richmond, Va.
Old 02-20-12, 09:42 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
According to TandemGeek's site, (under US Clubs & Contacts), the Egrets Tandem Club is now part of the Richmond Area Bicycling Association. So apparently you'll find some tandem enthusiasts there who can give you some local help on resources and mechanical tips.

MOST of what you know mechanically does apply to tandems, but there are some idiosyncrasies, so talking to someone with tandem experience is of definite benefit.

Old 02-20-12, 10:29 AM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again
Old 02-22-12, 11:37 AM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Nylon/plastic inner lining of cable housing can be utilized to minimize paint scrapes/wear.
At 4'11" you stoker should have a near-perfect fit; my stoker, Kay, is a tad under 4'11" and that DuoSport fit her perfectly.
Enjoy the ride TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 02-23-12, 02:57 AM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think so also..........seems like a perfect fit for us also. I can't get this thing cleaned, overhauled fast enough. I'm really surprised at how light it is for it's size.
Old 02-23-12, 11:34 AM
steve53mg

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santana Visa TAndem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had considered a Duo sport when I bought my old Burley back in '90. I was a little put off by the mixte frame, and its smallish stoker length (my wife is 5'6") and went for the Burley. Very similarly fitted-out...sun tour, diacompe brakes, and 48 hole suzue hubs. The bike served me well for almost 20 years. The 48 spoke wheels are heavy, but are bulletproof. The Duo should be a great bike to get your feet wet with. As long as the suntour stuff works, I would avoid putting major money into it. If you have fun with it for a couple of years and decide to upgrade, you will be able to sell it very easily. You certainly won't lose money on it! When I sold my Burley Duet 2 1/2 years ago, I got $450. You should be able to get close, if it's in nice shape.
Old 02-24-12, 01:21 AM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have all the "before" pics now.......I'll post the "after" pics when I'm done.
Old 03-17-12, 01:55 PM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost finished.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-03-17_14-39-31_618.jpg (101.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-17-12, 02:12 PM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait to hear your thoughts about how it rides. Enjoy!

Henry
Old 03-17-12, 02:40 PM
Timm40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did ride it down my driveway by myself......very smooth, the Suntour shifts like a dream. You do need a bit more room to turn around though.