Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 11:34 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I was afraid that might be the answer!

I used to squat in a past life, so technique should be ok. I'll stay with the leg press machine though.

Guess I better man up and give it a go. It'll either kill me or make me an animal again. Ill let you know which of is!
Old 11-05-14, 11:43 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
I was afraid that might be the answer!

I used to squat in a past life, so technique should be ok. I'll stay with the leg press machine though.

Guess I better man up and give it a go. It'll either kill me or make me an animal again. Ill let you know which of is!
You know what you should do. You know why you should do it. There's only one thing left.

Last edited by carleton; 11-05-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 12:00 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I squat pretty heavy- despite what most people think- I got there by being very conservative.

So- yes. Man up and get under the bar, but don't forget that you are a cyclist- and hurt cyclist tend to be really slow
Old 11-05-14, 01:23 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What's everyone's opinion about upper body work for track sprinting? Basically, I am dropping bench press while doing overhead press and barbell rows as my main upper body work. I can't really see a purpose for bench for a cyclist; the overhead press will build my shoulders, which I think is important for bike control and crash durability, and the barbell row will help keep my legs from pushing me off my bike.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 11-05-14, 01:28 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
The overhead press also builds core/back muscles. and that's great for cycling in general, for the reasons you point out.

i added it to my routine this year.
Old 11-05-14, 01:42 PM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the big 3, which includes bench. I'm already at the gym, and though it doesn't translate into going faster, the cardio bunnies do seem to like guys who have noticeable upper body muscles so I'll be keeping it.
Old 11-05-14, 02:15 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep on the bench all year- since I'm a pretty poor bencher and I dabble in Powerlifting, I like to keep it up as high as possible to keep my total up.. I will admit that there is no real benefit to Sprinting from a big bench- but I do believe that sprinters need upper body strength, and developing the entire upper body in a balanced fashion is probably the way to go..
Old 11-05-14, 02:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
What's everyone's opinion about upper body work for track sprinting? Basically, I am dropping bench press while doing overhead press and barbell rows as my main upper body work. I can't really see a purpose for bench for a cyclist; the overhead press will build my shoulders, which I think is important for bike control and crash durability, and the barbell row will help keep my legs from pushing me off my bike.
I do bench as a basic fitness exercise. It's probably where I'm most talented (I warm up starting with 135) and where I'd get biggest, but it's not as useful as I wish for track sprinting.
Old 11-05-14, 02:28 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Originally Posted by Quinn8it
So- yes. Man up and get under the bar, but don't forget that you are a cyclist- and hurt cyclist tend to be really slow
Good advice, repeat - I'm a cyclist first...I'm a cyclist first...I'm a cyclist first!

Originally Posted by carleton
You know what you should do. You know what you should do it. There's only one thing left.
Yes...Yes I do...

I'm on the way to the gym now. If my knees don't snap like a dry twig and my back doesn't blow out like an old clincher, I'll be back to give a report on how squatting feels at my advancing age...
Old 11-05-14, 02:40 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your best bench ever Carleton?

Just curious
Old 11-05-14, 02:49 PM
McRussellPants

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just started going to the gym at work, power rack. Basic cable machine and rowing machine. It works prefect. Wish they had a leg sled so I could put more into hams without stressing my back as much but oh well

Been doing the starting strength 5x5 routine with 15 minutes on the rowing machine. I also usually add a couple more reps of deadlift at a lower weight. Just making things up with internet bro science.

Noon gains rule. It's funny to find the muscles you don't hit on the bike.
Old 11-05-14, 03:07 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noob gains are awesome. I'm going through round 2 of those after lifting for 4-5 years, taking off 2 or so to ride bikes, and now just getting back to lifting more. Worked up to a 265 bench for 5 the other day and felt good and sad at the same time. Most I've done in a couple years, but still way under what I used to be able to do. O well
Old 11-05-14, 03:13 PM
carleton
Elitist

What's your best bench ever Carleton?

Just curious
I have no idea. I literally don't track it and I purposely don't try to progress it. I can do 250 without even trying on any given day untrained. I've always had a big chest and I don't try to accentuate it. If I were playing football or something, maybe I would have pushed. But, I played baseball and tennis as a kid.

EDIT:

I think I kinda have a decent build to be a decent power lifter (albeit relatively tall at 6'1"). I was 195 when I graduated HS. I just never considered it.

Last edited by carleton; 11-05-14 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-05-14, 03:36 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the "starting strength 5x5"?

SS is 3x5
Old 11-05-14, 03:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

I'm on the way to the gym now. If my knees don't snap like a dry twig and my back doesn't blow out like an old clincher, I'll be back to give a report on how squatting feels at my advancing age...
I missed this.

Just take it easy and start with the bar and maybe progress to 25lbs on each side. Remember, it's the little muscles that will pull on you. You have to bring those up to snuff slowly! Over the course of a couple of weeks.
Old 11-05-14, 03:43 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by McRussellPants
Just started going to the gym at work, power rack. Basic cable machine and rowing machine. It works prefect. Wish they had a leg sled so I could put more into hams without stressing my back as much but oh well

Been doing the starting strength 5x5 routine with 15 minutes on the rowing machine. I also usually add a couple more reps of deadlift at a lower weight. Just making things up with internet bro science.
I strongly suggest that you get on a good program. Starting strength is dead simple, but others are very good too. Lifting works. Lifting according to a program works better.

Noon gains rule. It's funny to find the muscles you don't hit on the bike.
Yup. That's why getting into the gym after a long season on the bike can lead to over-confidence and some minor muscle straining and screwing it all up. Start slow.
Old 11-05-14, 03:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

SS is 3x5
+1

I've tried 3x5 and 5x5 and I think 3x5 is sufficient to stimulate the muscles to grow. Now I tend to go for 5x5 only when I feel well-rested and strong on a particular day.
Old 11-05-14, 04:05 PM
Giacomo 1 

I missed this.

Just take it easy and start with the bar and maybe progress to 25lbs on each side. Remember, it's the little muscles that will pull on you. You have to bring those up to snuff slowly! Over the course of a couple of weeks.
Well, I'm back and feeling pretty darn manly!

Actually, the squats went fairly well. It is definitely a different feel from the machine. As you said, the small, stabilizing muscles really get involved. I went slow, easy and strict, just the bar for 2x10, then upped it to 25lbers on each side for another 2x10. Finished it off with 35lbers for 2x8. Finished up with 3x6 leg presses and a brisk 15 minutes on the stationary bike and that was enough for now. I have to go to work tomorrow! I feel pretty good all things considered, quads are tight in a good way, lower back alittle fatigued but not to bad. Hammies are fine. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks for the help and the push guys!
Old 11-05-14, 04:16 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carleton- 250# bench with out training is solid! My long term goal is to hit 300 in a meet... I fight to keep myself above 200 for fives
Old 11-05-14, 04:19 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
5 x 5's the Texas method from practical programming, though it has one heavy day, one moderate day, one light day if you're training 3 days a week. (Public service announcement, HTH, etc)
Old 11-05-14, 04:34 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, the squats went fairly well. It is definitely a different feel from the machine. As you said, the small, stabilizing muscles really get involved. I went slow, easy and strict, just the bar for 2x10, then upped it to 25lbers on each side for another 2x10. Finished it off with 35lbers for 2x8.
How deep did you go?
Old 11-05-14, 04:43 PM
Giacomo 1 

Originally Posted by gl98115
How deep did you go?
Not very.

I kept my quads just short of parallel to the floor and no deeper, so the knees feel good.
Old 11-05-14, 05:15 PM
McRussellPants

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SS is 3x5

My bad, I do the 3x5, always mess up typing it out though, think I hve it confused with strong lifts, that one's 5x5 isn't it?

I strongly suggest that you get on a good program. Starting strength is dead simple, but others are very good too. Lifting works. Lifting according to a program works better.

Yup. That's why getting into the gym after a long season on the bike can lead to over-confidence and some minor muscle straining and screwing it all up. Start slow.
I'm real timid about it after doing exactly that and ending up with some SI joint problems a few years back.

I'm real new to lifting in general, and am really just winging it off of internet bro science to apply it to cycling. I figured starting strength would get me a base and get all the muscles cycling doesn't hit working for now and figure out something more tuned in the future. Starting strength not so great? Open to any tips I can get.
Old 11-05-14, 05:41 PM
carleton
Elitist

Well, I'm back and feeling pretty darn manly!

Actually, the squats went fairly well. It is definitely a different feel from the machine. As you said, the small, stabilizing muscles really get involved. I went slow, easy and strict, just the bar for 2x10, then upped it to 25lbers on each side for another 2x10. Finished it off with 35lbers for 2x8. Finished up with 3x6 leg presses and a brisk 15 minutes on the stationary bike and that was enough for now. I have to go to work tomorrow! I feel pretty good all things considered, quads are tight in a good way, lower back alittle fatigued but not to bad. Hammies are fine. I'll see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks for the help and the push guys!
Awesome!

Remember that it's common to squat 3x a week, not every day. You need that day in-between to recover.

Consider adding deadlift and/or Romanian deadlift to strengthen up your back. I've had back issues since HS baseball (catcher). I've found that the deadlift and Romanian deadlift *really* strengthen it, not weaken it as some believe.

Carleton- 250# bench with out training is solid! My long term goal is to hit 300 in a meet... I fight to keep myself above 200 for fives
Thanks, man. I've been secretly considering powerlifting as a hobby.

Not very.

I kept my quads just short of parallel to the floor and no deeper, so the knees feel good.
Learn to feel when your muscles are switching over from quads to hamstrings. You need that transition to happen in order for you to train your hamstrings too. That's the purpose of going down low enough. You don't have to put your butt on the ground, but you do have to go low enough for your hamstrings to engage to get you "out of the hole".

My bad, I do the 3x5, always mess up typing it out though, think I hve it confused with strong lifts, that one's 5x5 isn't it?

I'm real timid about it after doing exactly that and ending up with some SI joint problems a few years back.

I'm real new to lifting in general, and am really just winging it off of internet bro science to apply it to cycling. I figured starting strength would get me a base and get all the muscles cycling doesn't hit working for now and figure out something more tuned in the future. Starting strength not so great? Open to any tips I can get.
Starting Strength is GREAT. I just didn't want to come off as a Starting Strength zealot. I can't recommend it enough. I don't know enough to get into debates about the particulars of his program. I'm sure Quinn can. Some people (not Quinn) get nit picky about Stronglifts vs Texas vs Starting Strength etc... I'm not that into it.

Go to Loprinzi's and tell the guy or lady at the desk that you want a few squat lessons and you have a few bucks to tip someone. It will be totally worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone showed you for free.

Starting Strength is a thick book, but 90% of it is Rippetoe defending his methodology against haters. Which is cool. But, if you want, skip over that and just read the instructions and the workout plans. I've read that book and the more advanced one in the series, Practical Programming for Strength Training. Also a good read if you are serious about being a power athlete or coach.
Old 11-05-14, 06:10 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good point about reading the complete SS book. You can find templates online with instructions that will get you going. The book is great to understand the methodologies, but a template will get you lifting without confusion. Knowing the background is great when yous tart programming for yourself, but as you will be sticking to the program in the short term it doesn't matter as much.

To your other point about the differences: SS is just a variation of the "Texas Method". The Texas method is basically just the idea of a linear progressive template with three basic days per week. Where you get into the other labels(stronglifts, SS, ect.) is just their spin. Like saying you lift a Westside template, but your ME lifts are different than someone else's ME lifts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.