Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen this collection?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has anyone seen this collection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 02:02 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
On the last page you get a look at what I assume is his car collection.

Yeah, I'll just be going now. Can you catch the bus up the street there? Oh great. Thanks again!.
Old 12-14-19, 02:51 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
But remember pennies on the thousands of dollars to a collection of vintage F-1 cars. Vintage bikes at this level are masterpiece functional art you can enjoy by looking at, restoring and riding. It makes me smile each day I walk into my office and see them again.
Thanks for sharing.
With you on this!

I'm just a bottom feeder vulture with humbling flaws into our bikie lightweight classics and perfectly happy as is.

Though I greatly appreciate and brings me joy seeing others super bikes and collections. So neat to see how others share the enthusiasm, to learn more of a particular brand, provenance, build or idea of presenting, etc.. Thanks to all of you who do share or hold special events for this hobby.

The auto thing~
You mention vintage F1. Out of respect I will not name but have been awed by invitations to see some incredible collections or observe these priceless objects in action. Mind boggling when you see private collections of historic or significance, larger lots than the many open to the public auto museums.

Amazing and awed- really is a privledge to see, hear, smell -enjoy the moment so much I rather honestly don't think its in me nor deserve to have such. Ha.

I think it comes to ones mind, a comfort point of objects of lust that is enough and appreciate as custodian what you have. That's elevated when one shares it with those whom feels the same. The tickler.

So, when you get to crawl around or sit in ones privately owned vintage F1 car(s) - read that as plural - you drop everything and go savor the moment.
Old 12-14-19, 06:39 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
crank_addict,
Right there with you but in Indy car, and some dirt track racing. For me it is the thrill to even be in the pits and around the guys with a pair as big as coconuts who drive them. Oft times they are aware of my GM knowledge and help but they are always one step ahead of me. But it is still a good feeling to be around those folks and the machines they drive. I'm like AJ, too old and fat to get in the tub again but what thrill back in the day. Smiles, MH
Old 12-15-19, 03:23 AM
onre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I will say that , although very nice , I would want to ride them. Then they would no longer look that nice.
In the thread, the guy claims to do 20 000 km a year with his collection. Given the amount of bicycles at his disposal, this probably means less than a thousand per bike a year.
Old 12-15-19, 09:10 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
The modern bikes were top shelf....the cars are unobtanium...the vintage collection, in comparison, is reasonable...beautiful, functional works of art that would put a smile on most...glad they are being curated by someone who appreciates...:-)
Old 12-15-19, 02:54 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Never will forget seeing the priceless:1934 Alfa Romeo P3, Formula 1 car.
It was actally raced at the annual Children's Hospital Vintage Races over the 4th of July one year. The sound of a supercharged strait - 8 at full tilt will never be forgotten.
It's the same some days on one of my vintage race bikes, you catch a moment of effort, fatigue, despair and those grainy old black and white photos speak to you.
Old 12-15-19, 04:05 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Maybe it's just me getting jaded through the years, but even though I find all that pantographing and other ornamentation impressive, they do not seem to have the same impact they did on me, years ago. I guess I started asking myself, other than exhibiting the skills of the maker to craft in such extras on a bike, what does it really contribute to the bike's ride and performance. Nothing, really, it's ultimately just all "eye candy" nothing wrong with that, but personally, it sometimes rings hollow for me. That's why I recently became really attracted to bikes built by American builders from the 70's and 80's, who mostly did not bother with such, or even chroming any part of their bikes. But if you look closely at their frames, you see under the paint, real high quality bike building and the fantastic ride of my Davidson, confirms that. Easily as good or better than my top line Italian bikes. Just like with violins, there were lots of real fancy ones with elaborate scrolls and intricately carved backboards, but the best ones did not need any of that ornamentation to play beautifully.
I'd still go for a bike with lots of ornamentation on it if given the opportunity, but I somehow I feel like I'd be riding a peacock of a bike and maybe should wear a pompadour wig under my helmet when I do so....
Just a quiet Sunday's rambling from a C&Ver.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 12-16-19, 09:32 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Maybe it's just me getting jaded through the years, but even though I find all that pantographing and other ornamentation impressive, they do not seem to have the same impact they did on me, years ago.
Same here. Mainly because I can't afford it.