Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 wheelset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-23, 06:56 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 wheelset? These are on the Trek Madone SL7 I test rode today. They feel sluggish to me. I also expected DTSwiss hubs but was told these are Bontrager's own hubs.
Any knowledge on the subject appreciated.

Old 11-05-23, 07:11 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have them on my madone. No issues, as far
as I know Bontrager wheels are pretty well regarded.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 11-05-23, 07:12 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have a set on my Domane SL6. Internet reviews say they are sluggish. I’m sluggish so it doesn’t matter. Realistically to me they are not sluggish compared to the Paradigm 25s that came stock. If I did it again I’d blow the budget and spurge for RSL 37s. They were in stock. Anyway the 51s are rugged. I weigh 210 lbs. they’ve stayed true. Never touched. Tall but no issue with cross winds. I’ve a set of Aeolus 5 rim brake wheels. They are impact by the wind more.

I believe DT Swiss makes the hubes for Trek.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 11-05-23 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-05-23, 07:29 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts

Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51 wheelset...

Well for what they cost you, you should be completely satisfied. But then again, what do I know. I have never spent more then 140 USD on a wheel set. Guess I am in for some real big changes... DUH...
Old 11-05-23, 08:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I have the 3's, next step down in depth. In both rim and disc version. Excellent wheels. If I was in the market for some new deeper wheels (I have other brands), I would absolutely consider bonty wheels.
Old 11-05-23, 08:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
I have heard that the rims might not be all that they are cracked up to be, but I am curious what is meant by a "sluggish" wheel? Too heavy? Bad hub bearings?
Old 11-05-23, 09:03 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I have heard that the rims might not be all that they are cracked up to be, but I am curious what is meant by a "sluggish" wheel? Too heavy? Bad hub bearings?
To me it means they don't accelerate as good as my current wheels. I own five different sets of wheels that I use on my current road bike (Giant TCR) and I can tell a difference between each set. Some actually feel like the hubs have more friction, but I know that is not the case. There are probably tons of variables that could make a set of wheels or bike feel more sluggish than others. The Madone I rode today is heavier than my TCR, so that is one of those variable too.
Old 11-05-23, 10:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
have them on my Domane and they are nice and handle wind very well. I rarely if ever feel pushed by natural or vehicle wind with these wheels. They have DTSwiss 350 internals in a Bontrager hub shell. I run 30mm tires on them.

Old 11-05-23, 10:28 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Bontrager always makes a decent and reliable wheel but nothing I'd ever drop the money on. Too many other options out there by companies that focus on building wheels and not just rebranding a bunch of parts to for more money. At this price I'd find something built with actual DT 240 hubs if that's the interest. Trek loves their marketing hype but I'm not convinced their rims are any better than the ones produced by Light Bicycle which will build with nicer hubs and bladed spokes for less.
Old 11-06-23, 08:48 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
These look like the latest (disk) version of the Aeolus that came with my Madone. I’d agree they do feel a bit sluggish but they roll amazingly well. I struggle to stay behind friends, who are on fast bikes, on descents.