Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A couple tire and inner tube questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 07:55 PM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Bikes: For Now: Schwinn Trail Way Hybrid. Soon: Any of the really nice road bikes out there

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys..I'm new to this whole thing, so please pardon the ignorance, if my questions sound elementary.

First off, I have a Schwinn Hybrid. It currently has 700 x 38c tires. I read on an old thread here, that it was possible to actually use an even thinner tire to I guess lesson road to tire friction ( I forgot what they actually said, but something along these lines). How much thinner can I go? Is 28 too thin?

On inner tubes...my current inner tube is labeled on the tire as 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2 . Anyone know where I can get this tube? I hear a lot of owners of my particular bike have problems finding it due to the longer valve length (I take it the 1 1/2 " measurement is the valve length?)...The longest I saw it go was 1 1/4. Can I use something shorter? Currently the valve sticks out about 1/2 an inch or so past the rim.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Old 08-08-09, 08:46 PM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Bikes: For Now: Schwinn Trail Way Hybrid. Soon: Any of the really nice road bikes out there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone? also if i change the tire size, do i also need to change the tube? or can i change the tire to a smaller size w/out changing the 28 x 1 5/8 tube?
Old 08-08-09, 10:19 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Yin_Yang
Hey guys..I'm new to this whole thing, so please pardon the ignorance, if my questions sound elementary.

First off, I have a Schwinn Hybrid. It currently has 700 x 38c tires. I read on an old thread here, that it was possible to actually use an even thinner tire to I guess lesson road to tire friction ( I forgot what they actually said, but something along these lines). How much thinner can I go? Is 28 too thin?

On inner tubes...my current inner tube is labeled on the tire as 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2 . Anyone know where I can get this tube? I hear a lot of owners of my particular bike have problems finding it due to the longer valve length (I take it the 1 1/2 " measurement is the valve length?)...The longest I saw it go was 1 1/4. Can I use something shorter? Currently the valve sticks out about 1/2 an inch or so past the rim.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.
You can install 700 x 28C tires on your rims without issues. I wouldn't go narrower without swapping for narrower rims. You should get narrower tubes, too, because it'll be tough to stuff those tubes in the skinnier tires. It's possible, just not easy or wise.

The dimensions printed on the tube are pretty irrelevant, and none of those measurements refer to the valve. It's the same as a 700x32 to 38 tube. You can find "long valve" tubes in most shops- the valves are generally 2" long: https://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...ils&sku=TU6886

Here's a book for you while you're at it: https://www.just-pooh.com/tao.html

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-09-09, 12:26 AM
daveizdum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By measuring parts of the rim, you can get an idea of what size tires are appropriate. There's a colorful chart at the bottom of this page that will help: https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

I used it before I made the switch from 35c to 28c.
Old 08-09-09, 07:02 AM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so one more question..if i downsize the tire to a 700 x 28c...what size inner tube would i need?
Old 08-09-09, 07:33 AM
ajs26

Bikes: K2 3.0 ZED

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bring in your tube to a bike shop and tell them that you need the next skinnier size for 700c wheels. Beware though if you go to 28's that you will have to check your tire pressure more often and you probably have a narrower range of useable pressures in the smaller tire. I would recommend trying a 32, but 28 is still a good size. Just avoid a roadie telling you that you need to but 23's on there.
Old 08-09-09, 11:15 AM
daveizdum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so one more question..if i downsize the tire to a 700 x 28c...what size inner tube would i need?
The tube size that I'm using with my 28s is 28-32. From shopping around it looks like most tubes are 23-25, 28-32, or 35+. Here and there you can find an oddball like a 26-28, but they're not common.
Old 08-09-09, 12:43 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Don't get too hung up on tube sizing anyways. A little leeway is fine, just use your personal judgement. They just hold air (obvious extremes and common sense please).
Old 08-09-09, 01:55 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You would use a tube that includes the actual tyre-size in its range. So a tube labeled 700x25-28c would work, as would a 700x28-32c. However, there are some differences you may wish to consider.

A 700x25-28c tube would be stretched thinner when inflated inside a 700x28c tyre compared to a 700x28-32c tube. This thinner tube would be more susceptible to flats. And it may even split at the seams easier. A 700x28-32c tube would be more durable in use, but may be more susceptible to installation damage such as pinches from tyre-levers or pinched between the tyre and rim.

Personally I always go with the largest tube that'll fit inside the tyre. I've gotten fewer flats that way even if it does take a little more care to install.
Old 08-09-09, 03:44 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Personally I always go with the largest tube that'll fit inside the tyre. I've gotten fewer flats that way even if it does take a little more care to install.
I'm just the opposite. I use the smallest inner tube that will fit my tire. I don't get very many punctures so I'm more concerned with pinching the tube under the tire bead.
Old 08-09-09, 04:44 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm just the opposite. I use the smallest inner tube that will fit my tire. I don't get very many punctures so I'm more concerned with pinching the tube under the tire bead.
Apropros of the OP's screen name- I guess we're experiencing the Yin and the Yang of inner-tube fitment. Ommmm.....

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-09-09, 07:39 PM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks all...so most lbs' will have long valve tubes?
Old 08-09-09, 08:03 PM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is there a diff. between 700 x 28 and 700 x 28c??
Old 08-09-09, 08:23 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
is there a diff. between 700 x 28 and 700 x 28c??
Not really, the "c" rim is the most common type. If it was something different, like a "b" rim it would probably say so.

BTW, I agree with Retro Grouch, when it comes to tube I'd rather be on the small side than on the big side.
The outer circumference of a wheel is the best place to lose weight. Also a larger tube is more likely to wrinkle.

Al
Old 08-09-09, 08:25 PM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my current tube is a schrader valve..does it have to stay schrader, or can i user a presta?
Old 08-09-09, 08:30 PM
Al1943

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
my current tube is a schrader valve..does it have to stay schrader, or can i user a presta?
Stay schrader. You can convert to Presta with an adapter insert, it's up to you.
Old 08-09-09, 08:45 PM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would, but i cant find the valve length i need w/ schrader on the popular sites like nashbar and performance.

I need a 48mm schrader if i go with the original tubes measurement. The only 48mm valve length ive been able to find are in presta...but now performancebike doesnt have any adapters LOL
Old 08-09-09, 09:01 PM
Al1943

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
i would, but i cant find the valve length i need w/ schrader on the popular sites like nashbar and performance.

I need a 48mm schrader if i go with the original tubes measurement. The only 48mm valve length ive been able to find are in presta...but now performancebike doesnt have any adapters LOL
Try your LBS? They may be able to order exactly what you want (if not in stock).
Old 08-09-09, 09:23 PM
Yin_Yang
Tao of Cycling Student

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya ill give them a call tomorrow.
Old 07-10-18, 04:02 PM
narendra7373

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does 26*2.25 tube size fits 26*3.0

Hello guys,

I need to change tube for my bike and I see 26*3.0 on my tire. I dont see this size tube in Walmart, I see only 26*2.25. will this 26*2.25 tube fits my 26*3.0?
Old 07-10-18, 06:05 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by narendra7373
Hello guys,

I need to change tube for my bike and I see 26*3.0 on my tire. I dont see this size tube in Walmart, I see only 26*2.25. will this 26*2.25 tube fits my 26*3.0?
Yeah, it'll fit fine. Make sure it has the kind of valve you need - just open the box and look at it.
But it'd be smarter to buy the tube at a real bike store if you've got one nearby - they could check for other problems that you might not notice.
Do you know how to change a tube?