Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you bring with you on a ride?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 08:56 AM
AllezDada

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being new to tandems, I want to make sure I'm prepared for any possible problems on the road; I figure if we're stranded one of us can't ride on and get the car LOL. I'm curious to see what people usually bring on a ride of 30-100 miles.
Old 10-05-11, 09:50 AM
mkane77g

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 tubes, pump, small multi tool, spoke wrench, boot, $$, 2.50 glasses, spare der. cable, quick link.
Old 10-05-11, 10:27 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Tube, CO2 inflator w/2 cartridges, frame pump, minitool, boot, patch kit, tire levers, money.

Never needed anything else.

YMMV.

Last edited by diabloridr; 10-05-11 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 10:38 AM
wheelspeed

Bikes: '06 Titus mtb, 2004 Trek T2000 tandem, '88 Merckx 753, '18 Emonda, '91 Cannondale mtb, '19 Trance 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A mistake I made when I first got a tandem was having an incorrect inner-tube. I bought a correct size for 700x28 tires, but I didn't take into account the deeper rims that needed a longer valve stem. When I got a flat, I couldn't pump up my new tube. That wasn't very impressive to my stoker.

So, along with proper tubes with long enough valve stems...
Valve stem extender in case I need to borrow someone else's tube.
Frame pump capable to 130psi (Lezyne)
Chain tool
Few links of chain
Quick link
Patch kit
Tire levers
Spoke wrench (Spokey)
money
Multi-tool (allen wrenches, phillips and straight blades)
Toilet paper in ziploc baggie.

Other items as needed, for example, last weekend trip was in bad weather, so I had fenders on the bike. I carried 8mm and 10mm wrenches for them.

That's what I carry. Stoker brings any number of things... cell phone, camera, snacks, etc.

Last edited by wheelspeed; 10-06-11 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 10:39 AM
chris ss
pedallin' my life away

Bikes: handbuilt tandem from Santana tubeset, 1976 Le Grangot frame road bike, Montague biframe folding mtn bike, rebuilt Schwinn Twin Doo-Dah tandem, garage-built beater recumbent

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the "boot" that you carry?
Old 10-05-11, 10:43 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by chris ss
What's the "boot" that you carry?
patch to cover up a hole in your tire.

Old 10-05-11, 11:11 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What you carry depends on where you ride and your level of desired self reliance. We get out where there are no stores and often not a lot of other riders. I also like to be prepared. Many can carry less. Keep in mind however that many friendly passers by have vehicles that cannot carry a tandem.

One tube,
tube patches,
One tire, (added after a long walk resulting from sidewall failure I could not boot)
tire boot material,
frame pump,
couple links of chain
two Connex links, (Will work on drive or sync chain)
Rear Der cable (light insurance against single speed tandem riding)
Brake cable (I do not want to captain a tandem with one brake),
multi-wrench that fits needed screws
spoke wrench (have only used to rescue single riders)
Kelvar emergency spoke (never used but very light)
phone
IDs
Cash
Credit Card

to be added before cold weather hits - space blankets. (very light)

Sometimes we also carry an old skinny single bike tube since we have had to help so many single riders that have blown their tubes.

Wayne, who has no one to call at home when riding the tandem.
Old 10-05-11, 11:18 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What you carry depends on where you ride and your level of desired self reliance. We get out where there are no stores and often not a lot of other riders. I also like to be prepared. Many can carry less. Keep in mind however that many friendly passers by have vehicles that cannot carry a tandem.

One tube,
tube patches,
One tire, (added after a long walk resulting from sidewall failure I could not boot)
tire boot material,
frame pump,
couple links of chain
two Connex links, (Will work on drive or sync chain)
Rear Der cable (light insurance against single speed tandem riding)
Brake cable (I do not want to captain a tandem with one brake),
multi-wrench that fits needed screws
spoke wrench (have only used to rescue single riders)
Kelvar emergency spoke (never used but very light)
phone
IDs
Cash
Credit Card

to be added before cold weather hits - space blankets. (very light)

Sometimes we also carry an old skinny single bike tube since we have had to help so many single riders that have blown their tubes.

Wayne, who has no one to call at home when riding the tandem.
Old 10-05-11, 11:20 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

The Park TB-2 is a nice product, but a section of tire case cut from a worn out tire is a zero cost alternative which works as well in most circumstances.
Old 10-05-11, 11:39 AM
IbisTouche

Bikes: 1 Speedster & 2 Ibis Touche, 2 Thorn Raven Tour, 2 Thorn Audax mk III, Pedersen, Koga Roadchamp, Centurion Super Le Mans, GT Karakoram Elite, Motobecane Trainer, Mtobecane Inter tandem and 9 cycles (singlecoaster, 2 - 3 gear Torpedo)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The last trip was a tour in Sweden at 151 km. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/118110695 . We used our Speedster with 700x28 mm Pasella Tourgard tyres + reserve tyre, 3 tubes extra, patch kit, Zefal HPX pump set of spokes, multitool, sandwiches, High5 powder, 2 bananas, Wasa crisp bars. Garmin 705 Edge and the route. All in 3 bags: a Carradice Lowsaddle saddlebag (xtra clothes and the High5 and map over the area. A stokerbag taken from a motorcycle to the swets we are going to use when on the road (Dorte also keep a little scissor to open up the plastic around the Sweets...). And a handlebarbag from Carradice for the bananas and the sandwiches.
Carsten & Dorte.
Old 10-05-11, 11:52 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I don't see a hanky mentioned in any of the replies. It's nice to be able to wipe the sweat off your face when forced to stop suddenly to fix a flat. And then it helps to wipe grease off your fingers.

if not a hanky, then keep your spare tubes in an old sock, and that is good for wiping grease off fingers too.
Old 10-05-11, 12:49 PM
tandemchick

Bikes: Co-Motion Primera

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I don't see a hanky mentioned in any of the replies. It's nice to be able to wipe the sweat off your face when forced to stop suddenly to fix a flat. And then it helps to wipe grease off your fingers.

if not a hanky, then keep your spare tubes in an old sock, and that is good for wiping grease off fingers too.
A small thing of baby wipes also does wonders for removing chain grease. :-)

If we know we're riding more than an hour we take food with us, too (I bonk if we don't). Stuff like dried mango slices, fig newtons, Gu packs, dried fruits, honey stinger chews, etc. are easy to transport, lightweight and surprisingly easy to ride on the bike. I carry our food stuffs in my camelback, and the stoker just unzips and hands me whatever I need and then grabs a gel thingy for himself.

I also tend to carry at least a couple of bandages in our bag--don't want to mess up the paint job. ;-)
Old 10-05-11, 01:05 PM
QueueCT

Bikes: 1988 Giordana Capella | 1994 Cannondale T700 | 2007 Co-Motion Periscope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We carry light first aid on every ride--gauze pads, gauze bandage, tape, neosporin and a few band-aids. It was originally in my touring kit but was glad to have it for my daughter when she rides with me. No accidents on the bike but she's tripped running on the sidewalk at a lunch break. The gauze pads and tape came in handy and she was able to ride back (she's a tough 4-year old).
Old 10-05-11, 01:43 PM
Open Lateral
Banned.

Bikes: Paketa V2r, VECdM29er, a bunch of singles gathering dust.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The foil from a 2 pack Tylenol sold at convenience stores makes a good tire patch boot, just make sure it installs completely flat.
The allen from the multi-tool will not reach the eccentric bolts on our Co-Motion! So we pack an extra single allen wrench for this.
We were stranded once with a loose eccentric.
Check your multi-tool to see if it actually works on your bike....
Old 10-05-11, 02:15 PM
p2templin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On our backs, water and food. On the bike, spare GU, shop towels (to wipe hands after resetting a dropped chain, etc.), Crank Brothers' Speed Lever, four tubes, five CO2, CO2 inflator, two different multi-tools (haven't decided which one gets left home yet). In goes wallets, phones, car keys. Spare tire gets added tonight (new tires came today, tire rotation party is tonight). Oh, and a few business cards for our tandem dealer.
Old 10-05-11, 02:39 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches.
Old 10-05-11, 05:36 PM
AllezDada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. One of my concerns is regarding the chains. I guess I have to get a couple of links (and I guess the 2 chains are different?) Also, do you all use Camelbaks and/or seatbags and/or a rack?
Old 10-05-11, 06:14 PM
jnbrown

Originally Posted by AllezDada
Thanks for all of the replies. One of my concerns is regarding the chains. I guess I have to get a couple of links (and I guess the 2 chains are different?) Also, do you all use Camelbaks and/or seatbags and/or a rack?
I don't use a Camelback unless it is really hot and I am doing a longer ride. Stoker doesn't tolerate heat so usually on my single doing this. We carry up to three large water bottles.

I have one seat bag on rear for tools and another on the stokers stem to carry food and/or extra clothes.

Only put on the rack when we do touring with panniers.
Old 10-05-11, 06:16 PM
jnbrown

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels

In a pinch you can use one of these folded up:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
one-dollar-bill-large.jpg (77.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-05-11, 06:28 PM
p2templin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We use Camelbaks since the Mrs. drinks a lot (water, that is), usually 1L/10mi. I use one, mostly to carry stuff and hang the tandem-com on it.

I use a Bento Box (or similar knock-off), mostly as a home for spare electrolyte pills and sandwich baggies to hold GU wrappers and such. Wifey uses my Camelbak as her "office" (and she chose the Camelbak based on functionality). We use a Topeak RS TrunkBag EXP on a Topeak MTX BeamRack A-type (since wifey is so short and rides a Thudbuster).

We tend to organize our stuff such that stuff we need in motion on my back. Stuff we eat at breakpoints is mostly on my back, with refills mostly on her back. Stuff we only need in the event of a problem, and at the end of the ride, are in the TrunkBag. It works very, very well for us.
Old 10-05-11, 07:06 PM
mycoatl
Sasquatch Crossing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What we bring depends on where we're going and how far from civilization we'll be, but our general kit includes the following in a seat bag:

Tube, patch kit, pump (on frame of bike).
Multitool, small adjustible wrench, spoke wrench, chain tool, and a Stein Hypercracker
A couple of quicklinks and a short section of chain (~4-5 links)
A tiny roll of duct tape (~10 feet rolled around a golf pencil)
Cash (enough for emergencies, and alwasy a $1 bill for a tire boot), credit card, debit card, and IDs and health and dental insurance cards for both of us
Small card w/ name, emergency contact info, Drs names, and medical info in case of an accident
Cell phone
Snacks/Energy foods
More water than I think I'll need
Old 10-05-11, 10:18 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
We do not like to carry stuff on our back (camelback/backpack).
Do have room for 7 water bottles on our Zona tandem (we live in a rather warm/dry climate ); 5 on the frame and one each mounted on pilot and stoker handlebar.
Carry spare tube, one tire tool (can usually remove/install tire without tools), double-headed allen wrench, patch kit, bit of ducktape, mini chain tool, quick link, couple chain links, tweezers (for thorns), couple food bars and some ibuprofen. Piece of Tyvek for tireboot (dollar bill, candy wrapper also works). Topeak MasterBlaster frame pump on the boobtube (turns into mini-floor pump) and two spokes under out boob tube.
In jersey pockets usual ID, $$, bandana, car keys, pocket knife.
When out of state or on longer trip we may carry a bit more as needed (map, extra tube, spare folding tire, etc.).
Through our 36+ years of tandeming we've found that most things you may seldom use; however better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
Have had breakdown on north rim of the Grand Canyon (couple hundred miles from nearest bikeshop) and was able to fix things just fine by improvising.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 10-06-11, 08:37 AM
tredlodz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minitool, chainlinks and quick links, 2 tubes, CO2, patch kit, boot, tire lever, minipump, wipes.

Gu, banana, advil

Phone, money

Add to the above a fiberfix spoke, saddle/seatpost clamp/bolt, folding swissgear mini-pliers, derailleur jockey wheel, folding spare tire
if support is not available.

You hope not to use these things yourself, but they can make you pretty popular.

BTW if you use the Park TB2s, cut them to size and replace the tire ASAP - they can form ridges that wear through the tube and cause another flat, usually a day or so after the first one.
Old 10-06-11, 09:32 AM
p2templin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tredlodz
Add to the above [snip] a folding spare tire if support is not available.
Do you actually take the tire out for supported rides? I'd be afraid they wouldn't have 28s handy.
Old 10-06-11, 10:56 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Credit Card, Cash & a Cell Phone are the most important items.

Tandem has a frame pump, I carry a C02 inflator in a jersey pocket, and the saddle bag has a pair of tubes, tire levers, a Crank Bros multi-tool, and a patch kit with a couple of spare chain links thrown in.

Spare tire when "touring". Otherwise, any size tire will do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.