Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I remove fixed cup?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 04:20 PM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts

Hi all
Should I remove fixed cup if I don't intend to change BB now, it's stuck and only reason for this is just to remove it and lubricate threads. It's not rusted in any way.
Old 03-08-21, 04:28 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Generally, no.
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-08-21, 04:51 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Sometimes, the fixed cup can be darn near impossible to remove. When I encounter this problem, I clean it and inspect it very carefully. A ball point pen can be run around the bearing race. If you feel roughness, then the cup is shot. Look at the spindle. If it is pitted or worn badly, chances are the problem has migrated to the cup. Damage ball bearings also suggest possible damage to the cup.

I use a big bolt and some washers, coupled with a large adjustable wrench (I use a 15" one). The bib bolt and washers help to prevent the wrench from slipping off. Also, make sure that you know which direction to turn the fixed cup. Some are right handed an some left. Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words. Hope this is a help...
Old 03-08-21, 05:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Spellscape
Hi all
Should I remove fixed cup if I don't intend to change BB now, it's stuck and only reason for this is just to remove it and lubricate threads. It's not rusted in any way.
Yes, always, period.
For the exact reasons you list.

Randy's method is good, I have a different foolproof setup as well, PM if interested.

Old 03-08-21, 05:24 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,132 Times in 1,971 Posts
I use a similar to Merziac’s method but if super seized, repeated shots of WD 40, PB Blaster or Kroil are a necessary friend.

edit: if it is a plastic/resin BB cup, they can be a bear. Alloy cup—no grease—steel seizes can be horrific.

Is it a standard cup and spindle BB?
Old 03-08-21, 05:26 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Yes, always, period.
For the exact reasons you list.

Randy's method is good, I have a different foolproof setup as well, PM if interested.

The method is good, but the spanner isn't - the two faces are tapered. The face against the cup can be tilted, especially if the washer is made to sit flat against the outer face; and it it's tilted, it can round the corners of the flats and/or slip off.

Best to use a proper BB cup spanner, they are not expensive - and keep the washer&bolt, you'll still need them.
Old 03-08-21, 07:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by oneclick
The method is good, but the spanner isn't - the two faces are tapered. The face against the cup can be tilted, especially if the washer is made to sit flat against the outer face; and it it's tilted, it can round the corners of the flats and/or slip off.

Best to use a proper BB cup spanner, they are not expensive - and keep the washer&bolt, you'll still need them.
Maybe so but I can tell you that Randy has had hands on more bikes than most of us here put together and while I don't subscribe to it, he has mastered it quite well regardless.

Exhibit "A"

Last edited by merziac; 03-08-21 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-08-21, 07:42 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
I use a similar to Merziac’s method but if super seized, repeated shots of WD 40, PB Blaster or Kroil are a necessary friend.

edit: if it is a plastic/resin BB cup, they can be a bear. Alloy cup—no grease—steel seizes can be horrific.

Is it a standard cup and spindle BB?
I've never had to use heat or chemicals, a way bigger lever, yes, never needed anything else.
Old 03-08-21, 07:51 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Sometimes it is possible to hold the flats in a bench vise and turn the frame for leverage, if done carefully.
Old 03-08-21, 08:32 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I got one off the other day using the sheldon method
50mm m16 bolt & nut
m16 washers.

You put the bolt through the cup hole, with a couple washers on it and do up the nut inside the shell. With enough washers in there to space the nut behind the cup. Then just keep tightening the bolt. It grips on the cup more and more as it tightens, and eventually unscrews it.
Genius little tool. No worrying about camming anything out or keeping any wrench on tiny thin flats.

illustrates it quite well.
Likes For Soody:
Old 03-08-21, 08:49 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
Go to post 4093....I learned this trick from cyccommute a fellow member on the forums.
And wonder why I never thought of it before, it makes removing the fixed cup a breeze....
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ately-164.html
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-08-21, 09:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...first, I am not here to cause a kerfuffle. Having said that, I bought myself one of those Hozan fixed cup tools, which work well. I paint a lot of my project frames, so it was worth the expense in my case.

Second, I disagree with the premise that fixed cups need to be removed, simply because you are servicing the BB.
Were that the case in standard shop practice, the cost for removing them would be factored in, and the rate would be higher.

Mostly, shops these days work on sealed units anyway. Once it goes in, it only comes out for replacement.

Here are the reasons I feel this way:

a. If the fixed cup is RH threaded (French, Italian), it has been intentionally torqued into place by a gorilla, in order to keep the drive side cup from backing out under use. Chances are excellent that unless you have a really good setup for fixed cups (like the Hozan tool), you won't get it back in place with the same torque. Thus it becomes a possible future problem.

b. If the purpose of this exercise is to remove and re-grease the threads, thus avoiding future problems, I would submit that the fixed cup is either pretty well stuck in there right now anyway, (in which case I don't envision it going from very difficult to remove to impossible to remove, before you actually need to remove it to replace it with something else.) Or it is not in there real tight. In which case you just did an extra operation for what seems to be no good reason (to me).

c. Even with that Hozan tool, sometimes I need to pull the bike off the stand, install the Hozan tool, insert the tool end in the jaws off a solid bench vise, and twist the frame off the cup and tool. Some of these fixed cups are not easily removed.

Anyway, everyone here has his own idea of proper....I would not at all fault someone for inspecting the condition of the fixed cup in place, (after through cleaning in place,) and then re-greasing and reassembling. You can use new bearings if you want, even thought the old ones are probably still good. Ball bearings are still pretty cheap and widely available.
Old 03-08-21, 09:55 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
I guess I have been fortunate. All the bottom brackets I have serviced have had cups that are in good shape. If the fixed cup refuses to budge I lay the frame down on the fixed cup and shine a bright light from the top looking at the bearing surface. Then I use my finger nail or a piece of plastic like a pen cap to gently feel the surface for any imperfections. In my experience the spindle seems to be the most vulnerable and that’s where I have had to use a bit of fine Emory cloth to smooth out, but only once or twice. Most of the time the assembly just needs cleaning and fresh grease. It makes it much easier when the fixed cup comes out but really not necessary. I have only had one or two I couldn’t get loose.
Old 03-08-21, 10:06 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
I got one off the other day using the sheldon method
50mm m16 bolt & nut
m16 washers.

You put the bolt through the cup hole, with a couple washers on it and do up the nut inside the shell. With enough washers in there to space the nut behind the cup. Then just keep tightening the bolt. It grips on the cup more and more as it tightens, and eventually unscrews it.
Genius little tool. No worrying about camming anything out or keeping any wrench on tiny thin flats.
not a bad idea but if reusing the fixed cup what are the chances the split washers marring the bearing surface?
Old 03-08-21, 10:10 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
not a bad idea but if reusing the fixed cup what are the chances the split washers marring the bearing surface?
didn't happen for me "You might worry about damaging the cup, but this is not likely to happen. The washer doesn't usually come into contact with the bearing surface. Even if it did, bearing cups are made of extraordinarily hard, heat-treated steel, much stronger than that used to make washers."
-Sheldon
Old 03-08-21, 10:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Spellscape
Hi all
Here’s a better way to remove the fixed cup. In fact I’ve started to using this technique to remove the fixed cup first rather than the adjustable cup like I was originally taught so many years ago. It works far better than the bolt and nut method which can crush the cup.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-09-21, 01:23 AM
merziac

If you don't want to, don't.

If you have a "better" way that works "better" for you, do it that way.

If you need or want a better tool to do it, get that tool and use it.

If you need help, come on here and see if you can get some.

If you ask for help, I'm going to tell you I do it everytime, my way, it never fails, hurts or damages any parts, frames, tools or flesh, ever, again, period.
Old 03-09-21, 01:56 AM
Spellscape

Ok I have Motobecane from 79 - and its from France (even bought there) it's not high end bike but i like it
So 99% that this is french threaded - checked modern BB it does not come full (I just tested that way very lightly)
Pedals are 100% old french threaded
For now nut and bolt + spanner on external side didi't do any movement
Cups are fine - spindle has some light wear - my hypothesis because of long standing in some old barn, old grease was like butter but there was a lot of it.
Now I'm not really sure if I need to remove it. Maybe just replace bearings and spindle?
Old 03-09-21, 02:02 AM
Spellscape

Here are some pictures

Last edited by Spellscape; 03-09-21 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-09-21, 04:35 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Sometimes it is possible to hold the flats in a bench vise and turn the frame for leverage, if done carefully.
And if you have the right size washers and bolt you can use Randy's method with the vice.
Old 03-09-21, 04:40 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The OP has a cottered spindle; while I agree with you about doing that side first it's not an option here.
Old 03-09-21, 08:22 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...first, I am not here to cause a kerfuffle. Having said that, I bought myself one of those Hozan fixed cup tools, which work well. I paint a lot of my project frames, so it was worth the expense in my case.

VAR (30) and Campagnolo (793/A) offer similar tools. The VAR offers several jaws to fit a number of different fixed cup designs. The Campagnolo only fits Campagnolo and its copies (36mm flats), of which there are many. Neither is cheap, but they work. Every time. Without damaging either the cup or the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
var30.jpg (127.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg
793a.jpg (20.7 KB, 168 views)
Old 03-09-21, 08:39 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Here’s a better way to remove the fixed cup. In fact I’ve started to using this technique to remove the fixed cup first rather than the adjustable cup like I was originally taught so many years ago. It works far better than the bolt and nut method which can crush the cup.
I still like this method...but on cottered cranks

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 03-09-21 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-09-21, 10:21 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
The OP has a cottered spindle; while I agree with you about doing that side first it's not an option here.
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I still like this method...but on cottered cranks
To my credit, Spellscape posted that his crank is a cottered crank after my post.

That said, the cottered crank might have an advantage...the only on cottered cranks have...over a three piece crank. The bottom bracket tool could be held in place with a stack of washers using the cottered arm to hold the stack and tool in place. The cotter pin could be placed loosely in the arm to hold every in place.

In fact, that might be an improvement over my method. Instead of using an old cup to hold it the tool and washers in place, a stack of fender washers would be all that would be needed. Put the tool on, put the washers on, and then put on the crank arm. The non-driveside arm could be used. Lightly bolt it in place and everything is held in place without any extra parts other than the fender washers.

I might even try making the spacer from the upper threaded part of a kickstand.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-09-21, 11:00 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
VAR (30) and Campagnolo (793/A) offer similar tools. The VAR offers several jaws to fit a number of different fixed cup designs. The Campagnolo only fits Campagnolo and its copies (36mm flats), of which there are many. Neither is cheap, but they work. Every time. Without damaging either the cup or the frame.
And they're expensive as hell! I've been hunting for a VAR unit with all three jaw/mâchoires/mandrel/etc for years now under $50-60 in usable shape.. I typically see them selling north of $100 without any extras and sometimes missing the handle bar(s).

I have a VAR 30 handle (male side) in the shop I've had for years, but never managed to find the other end. Not sure if the jaws for the modern version of the VAR tool are compatible with the old unit - they still make it today under a much longer number, BP-03000 @ https://www.vartools.com/en/bottom-b...er-var-p11.php

PS - to the main point of the thread: They call it a "fixed" cup for a reason. Unless I'm painting the frame or swapping hte BB, I leave it fixed in place, where it can be maintained just fine. Gotta go with 3alarmer on this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.