Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best to worst components on modern bikes ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best to worst components on modern bikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 08:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by utku1985
would that be comfy never drive one. ?
Hybrids are a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. Why I could never figure out.

Those are two entirely different types of riding and one bike will never do either well. IMO of course.

When I see people on hybrids that claim them comfortable then they have usually pushed the saddle back as far as it'll go or gotten a seat post with a large set back. When they do that, they are putting their saddle pretty much in the position that a cruiser style bike will be at with it's seat tube at a more acute angle.

Cruisers also tend to come with what to me is a more comfortable swept back handlebar. Hybrids have flat bars that work well for riding off road in rugged terrain, but not so much for riding paved surfaces. Which are you going to do the most riding on? That is what your bike should be.

If you are going to do both off road and road biking. Get two bikes. If you want to ride comfortably on paved surfaces but not go all out like many of us high intensity freaks, then get a cruiser style bike. Trek actually has some good ones out that are very inexpensive and with at least 7 cogs on the rear. Some models have more cogs for more dollars.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-05-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-05-21, 09:09 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Hybrids are a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike. Why I could never figure out.

Those are two entirely different types of riding and one bike will never do either well. IMO of course.

When I see people on hybrids that claim them comfortable then they have usually pushed the saddle back as far as it'll go or gotten a seat post with a large set back. When they do that, they are putting their saddle pretty much in the position that a cruiser style bike will be at with it's seat tube at a more acute angle.

Cruisers also tend to come with what to me is a more comfortable swept back handlebar. Hybrids have flat bars that work well for riding off road in rugged terrain, but not so much for riding paved surfaces. Which are you going to do the most riding on? That is what your bike should be.

If you are going to do both off road and road biking. Get two bikes. If you want to ride comfortably on paved surfaces but not go all out like many of us high intensity freaks, then get a cruiser style bike. Trek actually has some good ones out that are very inexpensive and with at least 7 cogs on the rear. Some models have more cogs for more dollars.
I don't think OP is looking for off road, which is a good thing since hybrids aren't great for anything rougher than crushed limestone or hard packed dirt. You are correct about flat handlebars, which seem like something the bike brands should consider getting rid of, since they aren't great for many riders who buy hybrids.
While cruisers often come with swept back handlebars, you can certainly spec your bike with whatever style handlebar suits your riding style and is most comfortable, such as a North roads bar. There are even alt handlebars that have 2 or even 3 positions, such as the Surly Moloko bar, the Velo Orange Casey bar, Jones H bar, or Trekking bars. And, a hybrid is, or can be lighter and more responsive than a relatively heavy beach cruiser. Now, some of these are workarounds to fix a problem people have with flat bars, such as the uncomfortable position a flat bar puts the wrist in, and the lack of hand positions, but then again, these days, there are so many variations of drop bars people can pick as well.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-05-21 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-07-21, 08:10 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Vintage!

Suntour!