Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel/Adventure Bike Recommendations

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 05:31 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I know bikes are all about fit... and you have to try them for yourself. Aside from that, I'm 100% set on my next (only) bike being a Gravel/Adventure style bike.

I'm interested in hearing the communities thoughts/recommendations, given my context and goals.
  • 105 or better group set (I see large diminishing returns after 105, paying more and getting very little extra value)
  • 40mm or better tire clearance (43mm would be great)
  • Best disc breaks available (I realize I may have to upgrade these after the fact and/or work out a deal with the LBS.. not preferred)
  • Something that will withstand a 300 pound guy trying to create as many watts as possible
  • ~60cm frame available (6'3)
  • ~$2500 or less
I'm currently looking into

Salsa Warbird
Ridley X-Trail
GT Grade
Jamis Renegade
Kona Rove

I've called several LBS, checked online, called the manufacturers. Availability seems slim to none on most bikes for the 2016 model, especially in my size. I may have to re-evaluate and wait for 2017.

Any other bikes worth looking into? Any you rave about? Things to look out for in coming months?

Appreciate any words of wisdom before I go dropping $3,000 on a bike.
Old 04-29-16, 08:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11024 Post(s)
Liked 7,569 Times in 4,223 Posts
You mention wanting 105 or better components, but also mention there are diminishing returns on compinents better than 105. So...id say 105 would be your sweet spot.

Suggestions which ignore some of your wants-

Novara Mazama. Way cheaper than you want in price and components. Its a bike. Use it and upgrade if needed. You have 2k to play with to get better brakes and wheels if you actually need them.

A diamonback haanjo trail. Well spec'd. Though the wheelset is short on spokes, most likely.

So...

Why not snag a Velo Orange or Soma frame? You could spec the bike to your heart's content. Some will claim its more expensive...but is it? Buy the groupset overseas, get some strong wheels made, and have fun. You wouldnt need to upgrade the brakes of a $2500 bike, which is good since that is an absurd thing to have to do seeing as how you just paid $2500 for a bike to ride on gravel.
You could have the brakes you want, the wheelset younwant, the components you want, and all on a comfortable steel frame thatll fit 40s.

Double Cross Disc | SOMA Fabrications
Old 04-29-16, 09:27 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
New Raleigh Stuntman: SOC16: Raleigh cranks out drop bar fun with fat tire, dropper equipped Stuntman, Steel RXM, Kid's CX, More - Bikerumor
Old 04-30-16, 11:16 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The new Raleigh Stuntman is a drop bar 29er built around a sweet steel Reynolds 631 frame. Can take up to 29 X 2.1 tires:

Well worth it for fun day rides and everything in between. The gravel road/adventure bike market is expanding, indeed.

Last edited by NormanF; 04-30-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 11:30 AM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Well worth it for fun day rides and everything in between. The gravel road/adventure bike market is expanding, indeed.

Not that it is the end of the world, but the photo you included was the next bike in the article ( I only caught it because of the double chainring). Regardless, I agree, and I really hope that this bike takes off, as it will demand other companies follow suit, and the more choice the better. I have limited experience riding drop bar off road, however I have ridden a rigid ti 29er, and that was a blast. I see little reason to expect a bike like the Stuntman to perform much different, plus you can throw a road oriented wheelset on and have a disc road bike. Want......
Old 04-30-16, 11:52 AM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's more on the Raleigh Stuntman. Looks like a cool bike.

First Look: Raleigh Stuntman Drop Bar Monster Cross Bike
Old 04-30-16, 11:52 AM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I actually have a GT Eightball - a city commuter modified into a gravel road/adventure bike by the simple expedient of swapping the stock Schwalbe Kojak 35 c slicks for Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 42 c threaded tires.

Its really lighter and faster than my 29er even with an Alfine-equipped hub....
Old 04-30-16, 12:19 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stuntman actually looks pretty good. I've never been on a steel frame before. Doesn't look like it's available just yet, but coming out soon?
Old 04-30-16, 02:09 PM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostcode
The stuntman actually looks pretty good. I've never been on a steel frame before. Doesn't look like it's available just yet, but coming out soon?

That would be my guess. I don't know what Raleigh's typical release times are, but I would hope sometime this summer.

Edit: After looking at the specs in the CXmag link, I would personally want to swap the alloy for for carbon, although I understand the choice at the pricepoint, and I would likely ditch the dropper post, as I have not, even after using one, ever really felt the need. Those two actions should drop a bit of weight as well.

Last edited by garciawork; 04-30-16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-30-16, 02:44 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jenson USA has Kona Rove frames in stock for $525, with your budget you could order some nice components and wheels and either put it together yourself or pay your LBS to do it.

Kona Rove ST Frameset 2016 > Components > Frames > Road Frames | Jenson USA

If you can spend more, the Niner RLT 9 steel looks to be a outstanding bike as well.
Old 05-01-16, 12:28 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now my number one pick is looking like the Jamis Renegade Expert.

Checks all boxes.. 40mm tires, 105 hydro disc breaks, full carbon frame/fork... $2400

Going to LBS to see if we can order one in the 61cm

Last edited by Ghostcode; 05-21-16 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-02-16, 12:49 PM
GodinSession

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I just got a Giant Anyroad Comax and absolutely love it! Full Carbon 105 for less than 2 grand. My first upgrade was putting on Maxis Refuse 40mm tires as I mostly ride on the road. Love the wider tires!
Old 05-04-16, 11:32 PM
brownfield

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, Fairdale Goodship, Specialized Langster London

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the Niner RLT 9. I have one and it probably checks your boxes. It's a little less value for money than the Jamis but I found that bike so ugly I couldn't get past it. The Niner is a sexy AF and super fun to ride.
Old 05-05-16, 11:42 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Right now my number one pick is looking like the Jamis Renegade Elite.

Checks all boxes.. 40mm tires, 105 hydro disc breaks, full carbon frame/fork... $2400

So, did you order it? I picked up an Exploit this January when they first came out and absolutely love the thing. It's been my go-to bike all spring and I am quite pleased. You may want to order smaller than you would normally. My road bikes are all 59-62 cm (I have a 34 in inseam) and on the Exploit I'm a 58, but had to run a zero setback post to close up the cockpit. They tend to run larger than you'd expect in a given size.

The carbon Expert is a gorgeous bike, you'll love it. Having ridden both (I work in a LBS on weekends) I went with the Exploit because I'm a steel guy, but that Expert is a serious bike.
Old 05-05-16, 12:04 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poprad
So, did you order it? I picked up an Exploit this January when they first came out and absolutely love the thing. It's been my go-to bike all spring and I am quite pleased. You may want to order smaller than you would normally. My road bikes are all 59-62 cm (I have a 34 in inseam) and on the Exploit I'm a 58, but had to run a zero setback post to close up the cockpit. They tend to run larger than you'd expect in a given size.

The carbon Expert is a gorgeous bike, you'll love it. Having ridden both (I work in a LBS on weekends) I went with the Exploit because I'm a steel guy, but that Expert is a serious bike.
I'm somewhere around 6'3/6'4 and the LBS owner sized me up to a 61cm immediately without question. It's being built up later this afternoon. I really hope the 61cm works, because I'm a little bit on your side... all things considered I'd rather the bike a tad on the smaller side. Feels better when handling.
Old 05-05-16, 12:17 PM
MZilliox

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you mention diminishing returns after shimano 105, but have you considered the used market? To me, buying new is a waste unless you need custom geo. I mean if you want value for your money, that's the only way forward. Find a used road bike that clears 28mm tires or larger and you are good to go.

It weirds me out when people mention no value after 105, but they are buying new. Ill take Campy Record 10s over modern 105 any day of the week, and continue to save money and ride faster.
Old 05-05-16, 12:30 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did look on craigslist for a few weeks, very limited selection on 60/61cm used bikes.. if any at all. I also wanted 40mm tires if not wider, I think they make the world of difference especially on anything that isn't pavement.
Old 05-05-16, 02:10 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Gunnar Fastlane would check all of your boxes. You'd either need to be handy, or have a LBS that's willing to order them in, as they don't come complete. Fastlane The LBS I trade with orders in the Gunnars, and other frames...you spec your budget, or what specific components you want, they make it happen. Love them.
Old 05-05-16, 02:13 PM
the_freewheeler
The Freewheeler

Bikes: '37 Iver Johnson Racer, '44 BSA Airborne, '45 Swiss Militarvelo, '92 Fat City Slim Chance, '97 Pinarello Monviso, '03 Giant TCR Composite, '12 Bianchi Super Pista, '15 Humble CX

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out the Niner RLT9 Steel, 2 star build. Comes with 105, right at your price point, and can handle the weight. Plus, I think they look awesome!
Old 05-08-16, 07:31 PM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
So how's it fit? Didja buy it?
Old 05-19-16, 07:51 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I've been busy. Here she is in all her glory. Only taken out a few times so far, but so far so good.

Old 05-21-16, 09:41 AM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ghostcode, the bike looks great. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a MY2016 Renegade Expert, but they're so scarce I may have to wait a few months for the 2017s. Sounds like you're a pretty happy camper? I was originally looking at roadies, but the Renegade has impressed me the most out of all my test rides.
Old 05-21-16, 11:14 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right now my number one pick is looking like the Jamis Renegade Elite.

Congrats on your new ride. The Elite is the $4000 version of the Renegade, btw - but the photo shows you got the right bike - looks like mine except I put Planet Bike Cascadia fenders and lots of reflective stickers on mine for commuting. I also just ordered a new saddle because the stock Selle Royal turned out to be almost 2 inches too narrow for my sit bones. Even with that narrow saddle, it does smooth out bumpy surfaces like no other bike I test rode, except maybe the Volagi Viaje XL.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 05-21-16 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-21-16, 03:43 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good call, I meant to say Expert.

Really enjoying the bike, the 61cm frame is quite large in person.

I'm planning on picking up a pair of

[h=5]Clement Cycling X'PLOR MSO Clincher 60 TPI Tire, Size: 700cm x 40mm[/h]

I also may shorten the handlebar stem and swap out the seat for something "slightly" more comfortable.

Does anyone have tubes they recommend? I'm planning on running a Co2 cartridge/pump, tire lever, and 2 spare tubes in my emergency bag. Let me know if I'm missing anything.
Old 05-25-16, 03:01 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good call, I meant to say Expert.

Really enjoying the bike, the 61cm frame is quite large in person.

I'm planning on picking up a pair of

Clement Cycling X'PLOR MSO Clincher 60 TPI Tire, Size: 700cm x 40mm

I also may shorten the handlebar stem and swap out the seat for something "slightly" more comfortable.

Does anyone have tubes they recommend? I'm planning on running a Co2 cartridge/pump, tire lever, and 2 spare tubes in my emergency bag. Let me know if I'm missing anything.
I'm supposed to take my Renegade back to the LBS where I bought it for its free tuneup next month, so I'll probably ask for recommendations on suitable replacement tubes at that time. It's one of the very best LBS's in this area but it's kind of a trek for me to get there so I don't go there often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.