Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Bike Multitool

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Bike Multitool

Old 07-17-19, 09:26 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Best bang for the buck for me has been aluminum fix it sticks.

I have ridden down portions of the Tour Divide route 3 years in a row and my loving wife has bought me things for my trip almost every year. My gear selection is extremely minimal only taking tools that might actually be needed. A few years ago for Christmas she bought me fix-it-stix. Two years ago as I was getting my gear whittled down on the island in the kitchen, she saw the Fix-it-stix in the mix and asked if I was taking them. I told her that they were a necessity. She was so thrilled that she had gotten me something that was considered necessary. Last year, after helping my son adjust some things on his bike, I didn't zip up a pocket and they slipped out just South of Spray Lake. I was heartbroken about losing them.
Old 07-17-19, 09:34 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
I used to carry one of these more minimalist multi-tools, when riding bikes that had just 1-2 sizes of Allen bolts. My main 2 bikes now have a few critical bolts that are smaller (like the stem and seatpost collar), so I don;t use it much anymore, but I miss the practical simplicity and lower weight/bulk.These would always squeeze into a seat bag, no matter how full it already was.
These are just easier to work with.

I always keep 1 hex key in the most common size in my bag along with the multi tool.

The multi tool is nice for having a wrench for every bolt on the bike. But the lone hex key is usually easier to work with and fits better in the tighter spaces.

On on gravel bike I am lucky. There are 2 bolt sizes on the entire bike. Two. (Not counting the disc brake rotors) I keep 2 hex keys. Life is simple.
Old 07-17-19, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Yeah, I think they wanted just the traditional styles since that's probably what most envision when they think multi-tool. The Fix-it-Sticks are a non-starter for them since a chaintool was a must to even compete in their listing, but I would like to see them stack the Breaker in there with the rest.
The link that I provided for the Fix-it-Sticks has a chain tool. It's actually quite clever in that it is held by one stick and turned by the middle of the other.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-17-19, 10:20 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I bought a Crank Brothers F15 multitool for my new MTB almost 2 years ago... i liked the slip case design, but in the end, never used it. I then got into gravel bikes, and picked up this slim little number. It's only been used once, by my buddy to tighten a bolt on his bike. I like the longer length of the tools, knowing short ones can be difficult or impossible to use. And this one was a great price for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLGKTSS

(i'm not sending amazon affiliate links to make money lol )

I like the look of the fix-it-sticks, and the PB Swiss/Victorinox tool looks cool

If i was going on a multi-day ride, with panniers or bike packing bags, i'd throw in a mini shop-style chain tool like my Park CT-5, or even a Park CT 3.2. It seems to me the multitools with chain breakers have some compromises.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 07-17-19, 10:57 AM
iamLefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
That Topeak Mini20 Pro sure looks good. Too bad it’s not available here yet. Neat pouch too, which Hexus X doesn’t have. Cycling Weekly though says some tools are too small for effective use.

Last edited by iamLefty; 07-17-19 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 01:28 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The link that I provided for the Fix-it-Sticks has a chain tool. It's actually quite clever in that it is held by one stick and turned by the middle of the other.
Whoops, I had simply googled "Fix it sticks" and did not see the specific linked one. That actually looks pretty practical - and the case could store spare links and maybe quick-link pliers (is that a normal thing to even need on the road? Not too familiar).

Have you used those in the field? If you have, how well do the bits hold up to use? My only concern is the same as any other bit tool - dropping it somewhere unfortunate. That and I seem to recall needing an 8mm hex for something I did recently - will need to check.
Old 07-17-19, 08:56 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Whoops, I had simply googled "Fix it sticks" and did not see the specific linked one. That actually looks pretty practical - and the case could store spare links and maybe quick-link pliers (is that a normal thing to even need on the road? Not too familiar).

Have you used those in the field? If you have, how well do the bits hold up to use? My only concern is the same as any other bit tool - dropping it somewhere unfortunate. That and I seem to recall needing an 8mm hex for something I did recently - will need to check.
Yes, I’ve used it quite a bit. I haven’t used the chain tool but I haven’t used the chain tool on any multitool but once. There is the possibility of dropping a bit...I dropped one in a planter but , for the most part it’s a good tool. The bits are pretty good quality as well. It doesn’t come with an 8mm bit but you can pick one of those up from various places. Google “hex head insert”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-18-19, 08:07 AM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, I’ve used it quite a bit. I haven’t used the chain tool but I haven’t used the chain tool on any multitool but once. There is the possibility of dropping a bit...I dropped one in a planter but , for the most part it’s a good tool. The bits are pretty good quality as well. It doesn’t come with an 8mm bit but you can pick one of those up from various places. Google “hex head insert”.
Cheers; I think I'll pick myself up a set sometime in the near future. It seems like it would resolve one of my prime issues with multitools - reach - while not being super bulky. I tend to favor long seat bags as well so storage is not an issue even if they're longer than any of the multi's I have in use right now.
Old 07-20-19, 05:22 AM
iamLefty

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I tend to favor long seat bags as well so storage is not an issue even if they're longer than any of......
How are long saddle bags? Don’t they get in the way of your butt when you lean back while riding standing up? I’ve been thinking of getting a medium or large. I just use a small saddle bag, which can only fit 2 inner tubes, my Topeak Hexus X plus extra tire levers. My mini pump and patch kit are in the back jersey pocket with my fone, small wallet, snacks. I want at least my fone, wallet and pump on the saddle bag to be more secure. I always reach behind during rides just to make sure they’re still in the back pockets. I don’t like those top tube bags.
Old 07-20-19, 01:28 PM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by iamLefty
How are long saddle bags? Don’t they get in the way of your butt when you lean back while riding standing up? I’ve been thinking of getting a medium or large. I just use a small saddle bag, which can only fit 2 inner tubes, my Topeak Hexus X plus extra tire levers. My mini pump and patch kit are in the back jersey pocket with my fone, small wallet, snacks. I want at least my fone, wallet and pump on the saddle bag to be more secure. I always reach behind during rides just to make sure they’re still in the back pockets. I don’t like those top tube bags.
Not at all; it hangs below the saddle out of the way:

https://i.imgur.com/WuoRjPu.jpg
Old 07-21-19, 03:22 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
I prefer separates.