Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2015 Trek 8.3 DS vs 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc...help!

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-17, 08:55 PM
PTzach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got two offers to choose from...2015 Trek 8.3 DS for $350 and a 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc with extras for $475. I'll post the links below, but is the Trek a far better deal? Or is the Sirrus worth it because it's a better bike overall that will last longer? Appreciate your thoughts as I'll be grabbing one tomorrow!

Trek 8.3 DS

Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc
Old 05-20-17, 09:30 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Is it normal to advertise bicycles without any mentioning of size or components? Are you supposed to just know what those bikes were sold with years ago?
If you don't have that information, no one can tell. Maybe the owner took off the expensive components and added cheap ones, or it doesn't fit you.
Before you have that information noone can tell if the deals are good.
Old 05-20-17, 09:37 PM
PTzach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Is it normal to advertise bicycles without any mentioning of size or components? Are you supposed to just know what those bikes were sold with years ago?
If you don't have that information, no one can tell. Maybe the owner took off the expensive components and added cheap ones, or it doesn't fit you.
Before you have that information noone can tell if the deals are good.
My apologies. I'm posting with the assumption that both bikes are in good condition with all stock parts remaining. I'll absolutely thoroughly inspect and test ride before purchasing, but would like advice since I'm a beginner. Thanks for the advice for future posts. I'm still learning what and how to communicate best on the forum.
Old 05-20-17, 11:41 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
What size is the DS? From the pics, it looks a lot smaller than the Sirrus. At a glance, the Sirrus looks like it would fit an average to tall person, the DS a shorter person. Nail that down the size issue first before making a bunch of offers.
Old 05-21-17, 05:21 AM
PTzach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
What size is the DS? From the pics, it looks a lot smaller than the Sirrus. At a glance, the Sirrus looks like it would fit an average to tall person, the DS a shorter person. Nail that down the size issue first before making a bunch of offers.
I checked on sizes before making offers, and both are medium size frames. Seems like the Trek is one inch shorter in stand over height, but the Sirrus slightly shorter in top tube length.

I really think I'd enjoy both bikes, which is why I'm torn and asking if one deal is significantly better than the other. I'd be using the bike on pavement, gravel, and occasionally some lighter trails through the woods. Can both bikes handle all that? Looks like the Trek comes with 700x38, and the Sirrus with 700x28. Without considering new tires, is the Sirrus currently more road oriented than the Trek?
Old 05-21-17, 06:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by PTzach
I really think I'd enjoy both bikes, which is why I'm torn and asking if one deal is significantly better than the other. I'd be using the bike on pavement, gravel, and occasionally some lighter trails through the woods. Can both bikes handle all that? Looks like the Trek comes with 700x38, and the Sirrus with 700x28. Without considering new tires, is the Sirrus currently more road oriented than the Trek?
I think both are objectively decent values as far as what you're paying vs. what they cost new. Given that you want to use it off the paved path, and even on "some lighter trails", the Trek is the best choice, assuming it fits you. The Specialized is absolutely biased more towards road riding, and that's evident by the slick 28mm tires. Although you can certainly change tires, the gearing and geometry of the Trek will be better for trail riding than what the Specialized offers.

If you were looking for a bike for predominantly paved road riding, the Specialized would be the best choice, again, assuming it fits.
Old 05-21-17, 06:16 AM
hokiefyd 

On the other hand, that 2015 8.3 DS might cost you more-or-less what a new Giant Roam 2 would cost. And you'll get a new bike with a warranty. Many here have noted that the stock Roam saddles are throw-aways, so that might factor into your value equation if you like the stock saddle on the DS -- that's a replacement cost you wouldn't have on the Trek. If you don't like the Trek's saddle, then you'll need to figure another $50 to the price of the Trek to replace the saddle. On the other hand, maybe you like the Roam's saddle and wouldn't need to replace it. Given what you say you want to do with the bike, something like either the DS or the Roam sounds like exactly what you want. A "dual sport" (that's what DS stands for) dual-purpose bike. Sort of a Jeep Grand Cherokee of the bike world. Does fine on the road, does fine off the road, but not really optimal for either.

A great type of bike, especially if you do not wish to own multiple bikes.
Old 05-21-17, 08:57 AM
HerrKaLeun

My apologies. I'm posting with the assumption that both bikes are in good condition with all stock parts remaining. I'll absolutely thoroughly inspect and test ride before purchasing, but would like advice since I'm a beginner. Thanks for the advice for future posts. I'm still learning what and how to communicate best on the forum.
Sorry, I didn't mean to target you. This was aimed at whoever puts out those CL ads. I criticized the CL advertisers who apparently don't care about selling or are naive.
If available one puts a link to manufacturer specs in the CL ad. also size, components. At minimum one would want to know wheel size, type of drivetrain etc. any upgrades etc.

Your advantage is that 90% of buyers don't waste time on such meaningless ads. So they have a harder time selling.

I sold a lot on CL (inc. two cars for about $9K way over blue book) and always put out as much info as possible (just to stop emails with such questions). Also emphasize all good things (if any). For example, if you have a premium derailleur, mention it for special effect. At minimum say it is 3x9 etc. Or add if it recently got a new chain etc.

If nothing is mentioned, I assume there is nothing good to say.

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 05-21-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 09:37 AM
MRT2

I checked on sizes before making offers, and both are medium size frames. Seems like the Trek is one inch shorter in stand over height, but the Sirrus slightly shorter in top tube length.

You need to be honest with yourself. How much are you really taking this bike out on dirt, and on gravel? How much will you be riding on paved paths and asphalt? If the answer is, more than 95% of the time, I would say it is worth spending a few bucks more on the Sirrus, which is more road oriented. And you can still take the Sirrus off road with a change of tires, but probably not on anything too rough or technical.

The DS would be the way to go, maybe, if you really plan to do non technical off road more than 35% or 40%of the time. Even there, the DS won't be great on pavement, but should be alright for casual road riding. If your off road is really rough, you wouldn't want a DS anyway, but would probably want to go with an actual mountain bike for off road.
Old 05-21-17, 10:07 AM
PTzach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to be honest with yourself. How much are you really taking this bike out on dirt, and on gravel? How much will you be riding on paved paths and asphalt? If the answer is, more than 95% of the time, I would say it is worth spending a few bucks more on the Sirrus, which is more road oriented. And you can still take the Sirrus off road with a change of tires, but probably not on anything too rough or technical.

The DS would be the way to go, maybe, if you really plan to do non technical off road more than 35% or 40%of the time. Even there, the DS won't be great on pavement, but should be alright for casual road riding. If your off road is really rough, you wouldn't want a DS anyway, but would probably want to go with an actual mountain bike for off road.
Just took a test ride on the DS. It's in great shape...looks fantastic, tires are still brand new, and it rides really well except for some grinding in certain gears. The pawn shop guy said it was in perfect shape until a kid came in and started clicking the shifters without moving the bike. The shop manager really seems like an honest guy, so could clicking the shifters cause this grinding? It still shifts really well (I took it through all the gears) and doesn't actually slow the bike down, but I'm hesitant to buy it if it could be a more major problem. If it's just something that needs to be adjusted or re-calibrated I'm fine with that because I'll take it to my LBS no matter what.
Old 05-21-17, 10:18 AM
MRT2

Just took a test ride on the DS. It's in great shape...looks fantastic, tires are still brand new, and it rides really well except for some grinding in certain gears. The pawn shop guy said it was in perfect shape until a kid came in and started clicking the shifters without moving the bike. The shop manager really seems like an honest guy, so could clicking the shifters cause this grinding? It still shifts really well (I took it through all the gears) and doesn't actually slow the bike down, but I'm hesitant to buy it if it could be a more major problem. If it's just something that needs to be adjusted or re-calibrated I'm fine with that because I'll take it to my LBS no matter what.
Don't know. Maybe you are hearing noise when cross chaining? Particularly with triples, you don't want to cross chain as not every gear combination is usable. Cross chaining is when you use the Big - big, or small - small gear combinations. The chain is at an extreme angle and may hit the front derailleur cage, which may be what you are hearing. Or maybe not. It is hard to say without seeing and hearing it in person.
Old 05-21-17, 10:23 AM
PTzach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know. Maybe you are hearing noise when cross chaining? Particularly with triples, you don't want to cross chain as not every gear combination is usable. Cross chaining is when you use the Big - big, or small - small gear combinations. The chain is at an extreme angle and may hit the front derailleur cage, which may be what you are hearing. Or maybe not. It is hard to say without seeing and hearing it in person.
I had no idea there was such a thing and that definitely could have been what I was doing! As long as it shifts smooth and doesn't catch, is it safe to say it's probably a minor adjustment that's needed?
Old 05-21-17, 10:40 AM
MRT2

I had no idea there was such a thing and that definitely could have been what I was doing! As long as it shifts smooth and doesn't catch, is it safe to say it's probably a minor adjustment that's needed?
Is the grinding sound most noticeable when in the Big - big and/or small/small gear combinations?
Old 05-21-17, 10:41 AM
PTzach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the grinding sound most noticeable when in the Big - big and/or small/small gear combinations?
Yeah I think so. I just read more about cross chaining and I'm sure that's what I was doing
Old 05-21-17, 12:10 PM
PTzach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought the Sirrus! The guy brought it out of the garage and I just had to have it. It's basically brand new, and is an incredibly smooth ride especially with the hydro brakes. And the guy took $460 since I didn't have smaller bills (I offered $480), so that was a bonus! Super excited and can't wait to take it for a ride!
Old 05-21-17, 12:45 PM
HerrKaLeun

Congrats, if it seems little used this sounds like a steal.
Check the chain length if it needs replacement.
Old 05-21-17, 02:28 PM
hokiefyd 

Sounds good. I hope you really enjoy it!
Old 05-22-17, 09:03 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You will love that Sirrus ..... they really are great bikes, and a lot of fun. Chances are that you will be able to use it for anything you want to ride on. It just won't like sticky mud or sand!

You might even find the stock Specialized saddle fine, they really do make comfortable OEM saddles. I'd be willing to bet that you will like that saddle better, without the seat cover. Start with it absolutely level, and sitting on it comfortably, with your leg straight with your heel on the pedal. Most of the Body Geometry saddles are reasonably comfortable, once you get used to them.

The grips are a plus, as is the computer, and the bar ends. The seat bag is a bonus, and you will love that rear view mirror. I like kick stands, but paint it black please.

Adjust that mirror, first stalk out of the grips, forward and down to clear your hands, then adjust the second to your preference. That mirror really gives you a good view to the rear for no surprises.

Congrats on your new bike, and ride the heck out of it! I think you got a good bike, at a reasonable price. In reality, he probably paid close to 900, if he paid full price for everything, so you got it for half price. Keep it for a while, and you saved a lot of money.

Last edited by Wanderer; 05-22-17 at 09:20 AM.