Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nicer hybrid bicycle for wife. Recommendations?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-09-13, 04:57 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts

Up until recently, my wife didn't ride at all, but two years ago we were in Australia for a while and a bicycle was needed for commuting and so we bought a low end Trek Hybrid - 7.0 FX for about $350. To my delight, she enjoyed riding and began to do some recreational riding, and this has increased with time. Now, in warmer months anyway, she rides 3-4 times/week, with rides up to 30 miles on the weekends. She says she's not really interested in speed, but it's not unusual for her to come back from a ride and tell me that she was pleased because passed so and so on the trail (particularly if it's some guy who thought he could pass her because she's female). I seldom ride with her, but I know she's getting faster and I think she's normally riding 12-14 MPH average speeds.

She has a birthday coming up, and I think she would enjoy moving up to a better, possibly faster bike. The problem is that she's resistant to drop bars, so many obvious options are out. (Similarly she's still resistant to lycra, to clipless pedals, etc. I don't push any of this - it's her ride.). Can any of you who know about hybrids (I know next to nothing) suggest a nicer ride? I'd be willing to spend up to ~$1200 or so.
Old 10-09-13, 05:29 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I just looked at the Trek 7 series, and you can make those bikes as nice as you'd like them. They top out at $1900 or so.

I don't think they make Sohos any more, but they were sharp bikes. I rode along one one day. It had a belt drive and I think a Roeloff hub. It ran around $1200 I think. Maybe you could find one on the inter webs.

Old 10-09-13, 05:33 PM
Dudelsack 

Something like this: https://bit.ly/19lHIye

It has a Nexus hub. My bad.

Old 10-09-13, 05:34 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My SO loved a rather high end Giant. That level seems to have only been produced for a short while. But it did show that there are some very nice hybrids built. Stiff, light frames with decent wheel sets and good components. She put many, many miles on it before transitioning to a Specialized Dolche.

On the spandex, the easiest way to comfortable bicycling clothes for males, they make marvelous mountain bike shorts w/ built in shorts. I've seen in bike stores (female only so far) chamois undies...

For a long time I just wore gym shorts over bike shorts...
Old 10-09-13, 05:37 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
If she likes the trek you might consider getting her a higher 7 model.
Old 10-09-13, 05:47 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
There is a hybrid forum. You might check there.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ybrid-Bicycles
Old 10-09-13, 06:05 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by Null66
My SO loved a rather high end Giant. That level seems to have only been produced for a short while. But it did show that there are some very nice hybrids built. Stiff, light frames with decent wheel sets and good components. She put many, many miles on it before transitioning to a Specialized Dolche.

On the spandex, the easiest way to comfortable bicycling clothes for males, they make marvelous mountain bike shorts w/ built in shorts. I've seen in bike stores (female only so far) chamois undies...

For a long time I just wore gym shorts over bike shorts...
i own Cannondale undies with chamois, and wear them under gym shorts if I'm anxious about not having spare socks to use as package enhancers.

Old 10-09-13, 07:21 PM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just take her to her favourite LBS and take out your wallet and let her have her way with it.
Old 10-09-13, 08:42 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Specialized Vita is a fairly zippy bike, as is the Cannondale Quick. Both are more flat bar road bikes than hybrids.
Pin platform pedals such as the Wellgo B065 offer almost as much grip as clipless pedals and allow the rider to use a variety of shoes with a soft sole. I got a pair for Christmas and installed them on my touring bike, as I ride it in the city quite a bit and find that type of pedal a little better for traffic than the SPDs I was using.
Old 10-09-13, 09:04 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Rhodabike
The Specialized Vita is a fairly zippy bike, as is the Cannondale Quick. Both are more flat bar road bikes than hybrids.
Pin platform pedals such as the Wellgo B065 offer almost as much grip as clipless pedals and allow the rider to use a variety of shoes with a soft sole. I got a pair for Christmas and installed them on my touring bike, as I ride it in the city quite a bit and find that type of pedal a little better for traffic than the SPDs I was using.
Thanks, those look like very interesting options. I was sort of hoping that she'd go for a road bike, but the drop bars made that a non-starter. Maybe if she tries one of these, she'll like it.
Old 10-09-13, 09:37 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the cannondale quick and bad boy.
Old 10-09-13, 11:39 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm only familiar with the trek and giant line and both of them have some really nice hybrids. I wouldn't be at all concerned with drop bars at this point. After a year or two of a high quality hybrid many people naturally find that they are being held back by the upright position and want more speed. Some never do and that has to be OK too. You can get a pretty nice hybrid in the upper ranges of any of the big three and if you want to go further up you can add some custom wheels. At the very least you can replace the stock tires with something lighter.
As always, a perfect fit with an appropriate stem trumps anything else. LBS often fail to do serious fitting on lower end bikes but the right stem length to ensure there isn't too much pressure on hands is IMHO the most critical part of bike fit. G'luck.
Old 10-10-13, 05:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
I'm only familiar with the trek and giant line and both of them have some really nice hybrids. I wouldn't be at all concerned with drop bars at this point. After a year or two of a high quality hybrid many people naturally find that they are being held back by the upright position and want more speed. Some never do and that has to be OK too. You can get a pretty nice hybrid in the upper ranges of any of the big three and if you want to go further up you can add some custom wheels. At the very least you can replace the stock tires with something lighter.
As always, a perfect fit with an appropriate stem trumps anything else. LBS often fail to do serious fitting on lower end bikes but the right stem length to ensure there isn't too much pressure on hands is IMHO the most critical part of bike fit. G'luck.
Cannondale had a series of "flat bar road bikes," the Road Warriors. My wife had a nice Road Warrior 800 - 3x9 shimano, 700x28c tires, V-brakes, carbon fork, pretty flexy Al frame, sparkly black paint, and about 20# in a smaller size. She really liked it, but after about 3 years wanted to try drop bars. We sold it and found her a nice steel Terry.
Old 10-10-13, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
OP? Bike Brands are sold in your favorite Bike Shop?

once again.. pick the bike shop first then the Bike..

"faster" is usually narrower higher pressure tires .. less than 32's .. 100+PSI.

though to make any real gain so she can keep up, go look at Tandems.

the air resistance is what slows bike riders down ,

... and faster you go the more it pushes back.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-10-13 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 10:51 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by fietsbob
OP? Bike Brands are sold in your favorite Bike Shop?
once again.. pick the bike shop first then the Bike..
I'm not a newby to bike shopping, I just don't know about hybrid models. All the majors and most everything else is sold at nearby shops - there are lots of LBS to choose from in the Twin Cities. I don't exactly have a favorite shop - I patronize at 4 or 5 different places in the area. Some will pay more attention to fitting than others, and that will affect our choices some.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
"faster" is usually narrower higher pressure tires .. less than 32's .. 100+PSI.
uh huh. the 7.0 FX has 35 mm tires. I considered changing the tires/wheels or her current bike, but more recently I've been thinking that it would be nice to start fresh with something better from fore to aft.
Old 10-10-13, 11:15 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...-comp#features
Old 10-10-13, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
.. as I say, Physics .. its about reducing the frontal area that you have to push through the air ..
velomobiles, are streamlined recumbent trikes.. they are fast.

Ms Terry has long been on target about bikes that fit women..

now She has a couple models where she got Waterford to be the supplier of nice
steel frame bikes .. and opting tor 2 X 559 26" wheels , rather than the 24/27"(700c)
of earlier years .. go test ride some of those..

I could have a fast bike , but for the motor not being that kind of driven, and 66 years old..
Old 10-10-13, 11:34 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Having a Trek 7.5 FX myself, I highly recommend the model. I believe the frame geometry is the same as that of the 7.0 FX, but the 7.5 FX has components that are more tuned for faster rides on the paved roads - 700 x 28 tyres, double crank (as opposed to triple), carbon fork, etc. I've racked up about 500 miles since I bought it in mid-August. I ride on the crappy Seattle roads, and the tyres + the rear shock absorber built-into the frame work very, very well. I'm a happy cyclist.

My wife has a 7.4 FX (WSD) and is also very happy with it.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-10-13, 12:20 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm not a newby to bike shopping, I just don't know about hybrid models. All the majors and most everything else is sold at nearby shops - there are lots of LBS to choose from in the Twin Cities. I don't exactly have a favorite shop - I patronize at 4 or 5 different places in the area. Some will pay more attention to fitting than others, and that will affect our choices some.
Actually, let me amend that to say that Specialized in the Twin Cities is dominated by a local bike and board chain (they have maybe 20 stores in MN and WI) which I've never really liked. That will bias me away. Though last year I was thinking about buying a Roubaix (I changed my mind) and so I would consider buying from them if they had the bike we really wanted. There are shops I like in the area for Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Fuji and most of the other common brands.

Based on Rhodabike's suggestion, my wife has agreed to test ride a Cannondale Quick at a nearby LBS this weekend. That's the first one we'll try, anyway.
Old 10-10-13, 02:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
3 things will influence the choice of your wife's bike. 1st is your wife. second is the brand that your LBS or the chosen shop stocks and the third is your wallet.

However what you should look at is the quality of the bike. Wife over rules everything but will the bike be an improvement over the old one? Lighter- better groupset and quality of the wheels are the items that will denote this. May not even be a brand that you even consider normally but these 3 factors will make it an improvement over the Old one.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-10-13, 02:33 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I've got a 7.4FX myself and since switching the 28mm tires I have seen a nice increase in speed. I have actually ridden a metric century with the 7.4 and was able to ride with a group of roadies and keep up an 18.5 mph pace (I even did my share of pulling).

All that being said I have gone to a true road bike for longer rides. You might consider a bike such as the Domane which, while it has curved handlebars, has a more relaxed geometry and is very comfortable. You can even add brake levers to handlebars if your wife does not want to ride on the hoods or in the drop position.
Old 10-10-13, 06:52 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I totally agree with those who recommend a higher-number Trek. I would also compare with its Giant counterpart - the 'Rapid' series. (Last time I looked, the Rapid series didn't seem compatible with aftermarket fenders (e.g. Planet Bike) like my Giant FCR is, so I might look at Trek next time myself).
Old 10-11-13, 12:41 AM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife loves her Fuji Absolute 3LE from Performance Bike.
Old 10-11-13, 04:57 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire
My wife loves her Fuji Absolute 3LE from Performance Bike.
Fuji has some great bikes, and they are often overlooked. One thing to know about Fuji is that within a model lineup, the lower the number, the higher end the bike.
The top of the line Absolute would fit the OP's budget.
https://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-11-d
Old 10-11-13, 06:52 AM
Short Circuit

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 3, Older Norco 10 speed road bike, Giant ATX 840 Mountain Bike, West Coast Chopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has muscular arthritis and wanted to ride so we got her a Specialized Vita.
Very comfortable for her and she has no problem doing 30 km rides on it.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Marne's Vita 2.jpg (102.2 KB, 36 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.