Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Crosstraining / Other Sports

Old 03-16-16, 07:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Crosstraining / Other Sports

Do any of you folks participate in other sports or activities? Do you find that it affects your track racing?

I know a lot of you ride/race road, cx, and mtb. What about running, swimming, or any other activities? Compete?

This is @Dalai:

Last edited by carleton; 03-18-16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 08:38 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Baseball as a social thing. The girly played it growing up and loves it. I play because the natural athlete in me helps out her mediocre team and I get to have a beer or two in the sun.

Other than that, growing up it was mostly hockey and indoor track and field. Both were done while I was cycling and I believed it made me a better cyclist. I pretty much would dabble in just about anything. I got friends that play all sorts of sports and enter teams into tournaments all the time. Being a well rounded athlete pretty much ensured that I had a spot on just about all of their teams, but had to turn down about half of the invites because of races. I think it helps to keep you mentally fresh and physically balanced. Never had an overuse injury, or tweaked muscle in training or racing, and I think the spread of activities really helped that out.

Some of the training camps that I had done with cyclists (National selection/training camps, road trips for racing...) turned up some comical athletic performances when it came to things other than cycling. Lots of pure roadies out there that couldn't kick a soccer ball or throw a baseball if their life depended on it!
Old 03-16-16, 11:44 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hike.

During the track season I hike once a week. I feel that in negatively affects my training/racing. It simply eliminates an entire day where I can be doing other work. The longer hikes do not help to develop any endurance due to the slow pace and in addition there are no strength benefits in the elevation gains. It's just exhausting and leaves me sore for Wednesday training/racing. Because I'm at the track once or twice a week, I'm limited in my hiking to closer half day hikes, and can't go to more distant areas to hike, or do full day hikes.

Each of my preferred summer activities negatively impacts the other. I wouldn't give up hiking or racing though, I absolutely love doing both (which also somewhat ironically means that I am not particularly good at either).

Last edited by Jared.; 03-16-16 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-17-16, 12:03 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by taras0000
Baseball as a social thing. The girly played it growing up and loves it. I play because the natural athlete in me helps out her mediocre team and I get to have a beer or two in the sun.

Other than that, growing up it was mostly hockey and indoor track and field. Both were done while I was cycling and I believed it made me a better cyclist. I pretty much would dabble in just about anything. I got friends that play all sorts of sports and enter teams into tournaments all the time. Being a well rounded athlete pretty much ensured that I had a spot on just about all of their teams, but had to turn down about half of the invites because of races. I think it helps to keep you mentally fresh and physically balanced. Never had an overuse injury, or tweaked muscle in training or racing, and I think the spread of activities really helped that out.

Some of the training camps that I had done with cyclists (National selection/training camps, road trips for racing...) turned up some comical athletic performances when it came to things other than cycling. Lots of pure roadies out there that couldn't kick a soccer ball or throw a baseball if their life depended on it!
I wish I had found bike racing as a kid (road or BMX). But, even if I had, I don't think my folks would have paid for it. Money was tight. I played baseball and tennis in HS. Playing tennis on a budget was HARD. I'd go through a pair of shoes per month.

Originally Posted by Jared.
I hike.
You know, hiking has been on my mind for like a year now. Seriously. I just don't know where to start. It's one of those things where you search on the internet and you get a ca-jillion websites telling you want to do and it's all contradictory.

I was big into Boy Scouts from ages 10-17. Lots of hiking then. Kinda miss it.

Every now and then, I'd do some "urban" hikes when I lived in Portland for about half a day. That was fun. I see how it can sap the energy out of your legs for the next day or so. So, really 1 day of hiking turns into 2 or 3.
Old 03-17-16, 12:40 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about hiking!

Skyline Trail in Jasper National Park this past August.
Day 1

Best hiking partner in the world, cuz she's a trooper.

Gotta have the Grizzly repellant!
Day 2

That mountain lake was a mightly cold dip an hour before this shot was taken.

walking across the tops of the Rockies

We camped out by the lake at the base of this mountain, Mt. Tekarra.
Day 3

Woke up to this

The opposite side of Mt. Tekarra

Making our way down to the trailhead

Finally below the snowline!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8732.jpg (57.2 KB, 20 views)
8742.jpg (100.8 KB, 23 views)
8781.jpg (69.1 KB, 18 views)
8800.jpg (58.4 KB, 20 views)
8806.jpg (80.8 KB, 15 views)
8833.jpg (73.9 KB, 14 views)
8838.jpg (74.7 KB, 13 views)
8841.jpg (43.3 KB, 14 views)
8846.jpg (86.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-17-16, 02:18 AM
TrackMonkey7

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wait. WAIT.

There are other physical activities I can do with my time?

Thus far, I've only really dabbled with running a few times a month in the dead of winter, and last year I was very much into muay Thai. I was surprised to find how quickly a burnout session of body kicks could drive my heart rate up. I miss it a lot, and I think projecting my frustrations on to a heavy bag helped maintain my last shreds of sanity.
Old 03-17-16, 03:07 AM
carleton
Elitist

OK. I gotta step up my hiking game. Living in Atlanta, I have lots of options within a short drive. I'd like to get started before it gets too hot.

Any good resources for beginners?
Old 03-17-16, 06:25 AM
SprintzNKiloz

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ever since I caught the track bug bad, it's all been weights and rollers and ergos for me. That said, prior to catching the track bug, I was big into road racing and I've always had the old school mentality of "it's either a bike or rest, period." And that's kept me pretty injury free. Given more time, I would pick up my fly fishing habit again though, which isn't really cross training but it can be relaxing and it involves a lot of hiking/wading, which can wear you out.
Old 03-17-16, 07:05 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I was a pretty solid xc skier when I lived in the north. 3 to 4 hours skating was a huge aerobic benefit without frying your legs. Had some really good springs when I was on skis right up to spring races.
Old 03-17-16, 08:49 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
A few decades ago cross country skiing and long track speed skating were used to maintain off season fitness. I have not heard of anyone doing this in recent years.

Mentioned in this article https://www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/mix-it

Last edited by 700wheel; 03-17-16 at 08:53 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-17-16, 04:52 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Online sites tend to be pretty generic with advice. I was in the same boat as you, in that I was a Boy Scout that loved camping and hiking, and picked it back up after a 15+ year hiatus.

Go to Payless and get some comfortable affordable boots. If you have an old pair of work boots or something, they are fine initially. No need to go out and buy $200+ dollar boots if you aren't going to use them. After 50 miles or so of hiking they will be shot and you will have an idea of what you want/need.

Any backpack initially is fine, I have a few friends that went a whole season with a school "bookbag" with no issues. Load it up with a pocketknife, basic first aid kit, and a bunch of water (preferential here, but I'll go through almost a half gallon in 5 miles during the dead of summer). My "daypack" is a $25 piece from REI.

If you have moisture wicking underwear/pants/shirts go for it. Alot of gym/yoga clothing transitions perfectly to the trail. I routinely use a pair of urban cycling pants for hiking. Good wool socks hiking socks are a must have. Spend the big bucks in this area ($12-15 a pair).

Start small. Go to a local county park you are familiar with and put in 3 or 4 miles without too much elevation, see how you feel.

Make sure when you get into bigger state parks you have maps to work off of, not all trails are marked well.

Give yourself enough daylight. Don't start a hike after work and try to squeeze it in.

Get a map, some water, and get out there. You already have some of a knowledge base from your childhood, and you're an athlete, it'll be easy to get started.
Old 03-17-16, 05:39 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting into FPV quadcopter racing. A new frontier and wild wild west of sports if you consider it a sport. It can easily eat up all my time and money and take time away from cycling. Similar money investment to a bike. You can set some to follow you with a camera but not a good idea in the woods Would be ok at a track if no one else is there or a few who don't mind. I don't hike much now that I bike. Many also seem to ski. and volleyball, volleyball is awesome.
Old 03-17-16, 07:04 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a fanatical rock climber through my late teens in to my early 30's. I did it all from 4 day Big Walls like El Capitan to Sport Climbs and bouldering trips to Hueco..
Now I just take my daughter to the climbing gym. It's not a great compliment to track training- but it doesn't seem to really negatively affect it since its totally different muscle groups.
Typically I'll only climb if we go to the gym on a Sunday- my only day off the bike.
Old 03-17-16, 09:35 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

OK. I gotta step up my hiking game. Living in Atlanta, I have lots of options within a short drive. I'd like to get started before it gets too hot.

@Jared laid it out pretty good.

I don't know what Payless is like in the US, but up here it's utter crap for mens shoes, so I can't really speak to that recommendation. To start, I would get a decent pair of trail runners, nothing expensive. I used to hike in an old pair of steel toes for a long time because it's what I had, and they work quite well. They will certainly give you a workout. Just be aware of the extra weight on your feet if you go this route. You will have to start slowly, because the heavier th boots get, the more it affects your gait, and doing so for prolonged periods really soon can lead to problems. Trail runners are lighter, have decent grip, do come in waterproof options if you need, and also come with an underfoot shank that will help to keep your feet from getting bruised as well as offer some support. I typically do most of my dayhikes in trailrunners unless I know the terrain is going to be really gnarly, muddy, or the weather will be crap. Just be mindful that your feet get you where you want to go, and you are relying on them to get you back out again. And I couldn't agree more on buying really good wool socks.

Backpacks are backpacks when you're starting out. If you intend to keep the pack for some time, it might be wise to invest in quality. You don't need size when you're starting out, but you also don't want it to fail while you are out there. It only needs to be large enough to carry what you need that day, with maybe a little extra room to grow as your abilities grow. Any bigger and it becomes cumbersome. Keep in mind if you will be hiking with a Significant Other or kids. You will probably be carrying their stuff too, although little kids like to have their own pack too, good to put their snacks in there too, but keep it light. My daypack was/is the bag I had all through highschool, college, college again... my trusty old Jansport (before they became a fashion accessory). It holds 2 full 3" binders, and 2-3 textbooks. Has a small webbing waist strap. I usually end up cinching it in a bit. It's about 20L or 1200 cu". A small waist strap is nice. Goes a long way if you need the extra stability, but is unnoticed when not used.

I would add to the equipment/first aid requirements. The standard kit in my opinion that should be in any pack is
- knife/multitool
- water ( I also keep some purifying tablets in the first aid kit. Good in the summer in case you run your supply of water down)
- snacks/food (1.5x what you think you will need)
- cheap poncho from the dollar store. This can save you from being miserable and takes almost no space in your pack.
- a fleece sweater/hoodie, and a beanie/toque. They're light, fill out your pack (helps to stabilize things in there), paired with poncho it will keep you warm and dry should something go wrong.
- change of socks if it tends to get cold in your area.
- basic first aid kit (and the knowledge to use it). Make sure it includes a foil blanket.

If I'm going to be out all day, I also pack a parachute hammock. Great to be able to string it up and have a seat for two, or to put your legs up. Good for 400lbs and pack to the size of a cantaloupe.
Old 03-17-16, 09:43 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

If you're a member at REI, they have classes in just about anything you can think of. Most of them are free. The ones you pay for are the ones that involve an actual outing (some are overnight).

North of the border we have MEC. I worked their casually for a few years. Tons of fun. I usually point people to this link - Hiking and Camping Information - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). Free Shipping Available.

You can find it under the LEARN heading on their home page, top right.
Old 03-17-16, 11:18 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I play competitive snooker. I'm sure it's a great compliment for track cycling

Attached Images
barratts13.jpg (33.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-18-16, 12:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks, Jared and Taras. Yeah, I'm a member of REI. One of the stores in the area is really big and seems to be active. I'll check with them.

brawlo, snooker, really? Awesome!

Quinn, there are a couple of guys at DLV there were similarly big into climbing.

OK. This is something I didn't know existed...and it's awesome.

Thanks, TheLibrarian, for turning me on to this. I'm not sure if I'd get into racing, but I'll certainly watch.
Old 03-18-16, 01:21 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

That is cool. I could see Death Race type spin-offs with this.
Old 03-18-16, 04:36 AM
carleton
Elitist

I put fresh grip tape on my tennis racquets this morning

Not sure what I'm gonna do next.
Old 03-18-16, 05:07 AM
skysurfer

Bikes: TI Sports/Fuji retired pro TT, Fuji track comp, Trek 660 since new.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I put fresh grip tape on my tennis racquets this morning
Immediately behind my apt. is a tennis court, the tennis pro has offered to knock balls around between lessons, haven't taken him up on it.

Aside from lifting which seems to go along with the territory have been dropping in on the occasional ballet class. I am coached so trying not to deviate too much from my schedule.
Old 03-18-16, 07:04 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Like Quinn8it, my previous life was all climbing.

Competed in the last US Climbing nationals when they still allowed aliens compete and a Birmingham World cup during another 6 1/2 month road trip in Europe and the States. Had planned a season training and return to Europe to hit all the World cups the following season but blew my elbows again and officially retired in 98.

Still boulder, but now extremely infrequently.

Post climbing, I did a little white water kayaking and got into surfing pretty seriously for a few years. Living 1 1/2 hours drive from the nearest decent breaks made surfing 2 or 3 times a week tough!

Then through a friend got into tri's, upping distances till competing in a couple of Ironman tris. Missed on qualifying for Hawaii by 3 1/2 minutes. Thought I'd done enough to qualify - hence the excitement crossing the line in NZIM.

Always been interested in track racing and raced one season on the road years earlier, but in those days before we got the indoor velodrome both tri and track seasons were in summer. Running injuries opened the door to just focus the bike, and the next month a track bike was in the stable.

Now since racing bikes, I've still run a little and spent some time on an Ocean ski training on the bay. But these days the cross training is just riding a different bike. The only consistent genre since I've started bike racing has been track. Otherwise I've spent time across racing road TT's, road races, crits and focused on CX the last couple of winters!

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, but still 2 years since my collarbone plating can't handle much pressure on my left shoulder making carrying a pack and hiking near impossible. Then I discovered bikepacking! Rode the ~ 900km Mawson trail last May over 11 days.

At the official finish in Blinman pop. 151

Keen to now race the Tour divide at some point. Will have to wait though, as any riding other than commuting is on hold as I am caring for my wife...
Old 03-18-16, 10:55 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Dalai I love that shot of you on 45 degree wall!!! That pic wasn't in Stone Crusade was it? There's a similar looking pic in there..
Top left corner of that shot you might be able to see New Religion- sending that was probably the high point of my bouldering career- although years later I climbed harder in the weird urban bouldering areas of Rat Rock(nyc), Stoney Point (LA), and Indian Rock (SF), but nothing as classic as NR..

As a climber I weighed 175lbs at 5'10" and was basically the biggest climber anyone had ever seen climb moderately hard (5.12d/V7)
All my skinny climbing buddy's called me "Pie Boy"!!
Now as a powerlifting Track Sprinter I'm typically around 200lbs ..

Last edited by Quinn8it; 03-18-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-18-16, 03:36 PM
carleton
Elitist

Dalai, I'm impressed. Wow. I replaced Bo Jackson with a pic of you in the top post

I went to a tennis club today and hit with a coach/pro. The first time I've hit seriously in like 20 years. Wow. Felt weird, but I didn't stink up the joint as much as I thought I would.

I lifted in the gym early this morning (squats with moderate weight) then went to the tennis club. After 30 minutes I was gassed. Glues and core were fried. Had fun.
Old 03-18-16, 08:55 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
@Dalai I love that shot of you on 45 degree wall!!! That pic wasn't in Stone Crusade was it?
Not in Stone Crusades. Did know and spent time climbing with Jimi Thornburg in the States and Europe, but only photo I know he published of me climbing was one of me on a route in the Verdon gorge in a Rock and Ice SuperGuide issue.

New Religion is a great problem! Liked it that much I did it again on my second trip to Hueco... Lightest I got to was 156 lb's at 6' with 5% body fat so not much room to loose more! I was also doing heavy weights those days which meant nick name was Conan.

Dalai, I'm impressed. Wow.

I lifted in the gym early this morning (squats with moderate weight) then went to the tennis club. After 30 minutes I was gassed. Glues and core were fried. Had fun.
Thanks. Scary to think that was nearly 20's ago!

Work has access to a sports hall across the road and offers daily lunch sessions with free basket ball, indoor soccer and badminton. I've rarely joined in, till a couple of colleagues talked me in to coming across for Badminton about a month ago. Been heading over once a week for this since and looking at going over for the second lunchtime session. Amazing the workout from a one hour block of matches without impacting riding!

Found paddling a great workout too but haven't been getting out due to the hassle of getting the kayak to the river. Therefore I'm planning on joining a local kayak club this July so I can store my K1 down at the river in the boat shed. That way I can ride my bicycle to the river for a pre-work session, as I find other than taking time from bike training it doesn't impact my riding physically and is a great core and upper body workout that is neglected with on bike only training.
Old 03-19-16, 06:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
Thanks. Scary to think that was nearly 20's ago!

Work has access to a sports hall across the road and offers daily lunch sessions with free basket ball, indoor soccer and badminton. I've rarely joined in, till a couple of colleagues talked me in to coming across for Badminton about a month ago. Been heading over once a week for this since and looking at going over for the second lunchtime session. Amazing the workout from a one hour block of matches without impacting riding!

Found paddling a great workout too but haven't been getting out due to the hassle of getting the kayak to the river. Therefore I'm planning on joining a local kayak club this July so I can store my K1 down at the river in the boat shed. That way I can ride my bicycle to the river for a pre-work session, as I find other than taking time from bike training it doesn't impact my riding physically and is a great core and upper body workout that is neglected with on bike only training.
20 years...yeah, I know. It seems that a lot has changed since I was participating in the sport.

I've been curios about badminton. I've seen some guys play seriously and it was impressive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.