Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cleaning a road drivetrain on a gravel bike, any tips?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 01:48 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I try to avoid strong degreasers and solvents while a I clean a drivetrain. I don't like the idea of removing chain oil and bearing grease and contaminating surfaces with a solvent.

However, my crankset, derailleurs and cassette are an grimy mess of chain oil and dust that is difficult to clean with mild soap and gentle cleaning methods.

Any suggestions for cleaning a grimy, oily mess without using a solvent or degreaser?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-06-17 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 01:53 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Rock n Roll degreaser. Does great cleaning, doesn't smell, and won't eat your skin off.

Rock N Roll Miracle Red 3 N 1 Degreaser > Accessories > Tools & Maintenance > Cleaners & Degreasers | Jenson USA
Old 04-06-17, 04:42 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Hot wax will get a chain cleaner than anything else I've tried, even cleaner than a circulating parts washer. Works well on cassette and chainrings as well.

Problem is that it requires a lot of space, dedicated equipment and is multi-step that takes a bit of time. I've only done it once as kind of a lark but if I ever get something really bad I'll do it again.

Otherwise I just take everything off and use concentrated dish soap, a stiff bristle brush and hot water. Goes like this:
  • Put chain in sink
  • Cover with soap
  • Scrub scrub scrub
  • Move to next sink and let sit
  • Same with cassette
  • Same with chainring
  • Rinse
  • Put in sun or or near stove to dry

I don't generally clean anything on the bike except for removing build up on the derailleur pulleys and chainrings. I prefer to just ride and do a deep removal clean every 6 months or so. Mechanical action from spraying the bike with a garden hose works pretty well but there has been some objection from others on the forum about the potential for ground water pollution from this. I don't agree but understand the opinion.
Old 04-06-17, 04:51 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
....Any suggestions for cleaning a grimy, oily mess without using a solvent or degreaser?
My suggestion for next time:
Boeshield or similar "dry" lube.
Wire brush to clean chain, cogs, rings, pulleys.
Very non messy. Just brush the mess into a dustpan.

Works for me anyway.
Old 04-07-17, 10:39 AM
zimdba

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 3.1 Shimano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to avoid strong degreasers and solvents while a I clean a drivetrain. I don't like the idea of removing chain oil and bearing grease and contaminating surfaces with a solvent.

However, my crankset, derailleurs and cassette are an grimy mess of chain oil and dust that is difficult to clean with mild soap and gentle cleaning methods.

Any suggestions for cleaning a grimy, oily mess without using a solvent or degreaser?
What's wrong with a degreaser? I use Orange Zep without issues.
Old 04-07-17, 01:28 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Simple Green in water (1:4) works well for chains and drive train. I have a SRAM Powerlink, so I remove and soak the chain and get in between the cassette cogs with a soft cloth (tshirt).
Old 04-07-17, 02:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Simple Green, orange cleaner or even soap/water containing dissolved grease and oil should really be recycled or otherwise treated as contaminated with waste oil. The need to treat it as oil waste is why I prefer odorless mineral spirits.

With OMS the oil and grease settles to the bottom and the clean solvent can be poured off to another container. I recycle the oil sludge at the bottom of the can once or twice each year when I happen to be passing the county dump.

-Tim-
Old 04-07-17, 04:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Is cleaning an mtb drivetrain on a gravel bike different from a road drivetrain?
Old 04-07-17, 04:44 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

To clean of gunky oil and grease...you need a degreaser. Just try to keep aim it well, then re-lube the chain when you are done...

...and realise it might mean changing/repacking bearing a bit more often.
Old 04-07-17, 06:47 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should get very far with hot soapy water, microfiber cloths and any diposable rag to wipe off the chain. If it's left too long it will be a bit more work, but still, it will get you there. Even if it can take some time and be a bit cumbersome in places it's not difficult. Harsher solvents and degreasers isn't always quicker or easier unless it's an unusally stubborn case. You might have to poke grime out of each of the open spaces in the chain, but if you do it regularly a simple wipe off will be enough.

Natural (basic) soap behaves differently than dish washing liquid and car shampoo, safe for everything on the bike and often an advantage. A tooth brush makes it easier to clean the spoke ends in the hub, as well as the chain and parts on derailleur. There's several ways about it, and doesn't have to be very high tech. Further oiling and wiping off the chain will improve the situation as you get into a better routine. If something is very stubborn you can always sort to more heavy duty cleaning products. For the parts you can take off and soak; hot water and basic laundry powder (white wash) is one of the most effective things I have used.

I looked it up; remains of basic chain oil, the mineral oil type as well as it's synthetic derivatives is not classified as particularly hamful. It's not the same as white spirit, parafin or petrol. In smaller amounts nature will break it down and only be harmfull to soil and spill water in large amonts / consentrations.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-07-17 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 07:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Depends...

Simple wipe down if it's just road grime.

After a ride in melting snow it was covered with sand and salt so I removed the chain and cassette and put them in a ultrasonic cleaner. And then hose the bike with warm water and carried in the basement to be dried and cleaned.
Old 04-09-17, 07:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
How are you guys disposing of soapy water contaminated with grease and oil?

I hope you are not throwing it down the drain or letting it run into the ground.

-Tim-
Old 04-11-17, 12:45 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I squirt some chain lube on a rag and wipe down the chain about once a week. Throw the rags in a pile in the corner of my basement when they're too dirty to use anymore. Hope they don't start a fire. I assume I'll have to throw them out one of these days.

I've found no matter how fastidious I am I end up replacing the chain about every 1200 miles, and the cassette about every 6 months.
Old 04-11-17, 12:56 PM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used WD-40 chain and drivetrain cleaner last night. It foams up and gets into those tight little spaces. Was quite impressed to be honest.
Old 04-11-17, 03:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

I hope you are not throwing it down the drain or letting it run into the ground.

-Tim-
I bring it in small dishes to stray kittens for them to lap up.

Greasy/oily rags are washed in the machine with laundry soap. All that oily soap watet then drains out the main drain and to the local water works.
Greasy/oily paper towels are tossed in the trash to ultimately sit inside a plastic bag for thousands of years and slowly leach out.
Old 04-11-17, 05:54 PM
CvRyder

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try finishline first step clean and lube spray . works like a charm. no need for removal.
Old 04-12-17, 06:03 AM
Mickey2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regarding the basic mineral oil used for chains, sewing machines, including synthetic derivatives, seems only to be treated as a hazardous waste in large amounts. From the data sheets I have found on the web; any small amount can be hosed off with water, any remains typical from a bucked of water used to clean a bike is not treated as special waste. Apparently it breaks down in nature fast enough not to be a problem. It seems that this type of oil have exactly the same recommendations when it comes to handeling and care regardless if it's the bio-eco-friendly version of plant origin or the equivalent product of petroleum origin?

Apparently the term mineral oil is use for many different products with very different classifications regarding safety. The safety sheets for petrol, diesel, crude oil, white spirit and naphta are very different.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-12-17 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 08:58 AM
john_mct

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find rubbing alcohol quite adept at cutting through grime and grease, also easy to buy anywhere while on tour and way cheaper than name brand bike cleaning stuff.
Old 04-14-17, 09:19 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

I put it in a glass labeled "Free Soda!" and leave it out for the neighborhood children.
Old 04-16-17, 04:53 AM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by king_boru
I used WD-40 chain and drivetrain cleaner last night. It foams up and gets into those tight little spaces. Was quite impressed to be honest.
I have used simple green and a toothbrush. It works well. Recently though I have been using WD40 and I like that. It cleans very well. Then I just wipe dry with paper towels and re lube my chain and other parts. As far as road grime I just occasionally wipe clean with a paper towel if it is not time to re lube.

Last edited by trail_monkey; 04-16-17 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-16-17, 08:53 PM
zimdba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I squirt some chain lube on a rag and wipe down the chain about once a week. Throw the rags in a pile in the corner of my basement when they're too dirty to use anymore. Hope they don't start a fire. I assume I'll have to throw them out one of these days.

I've found no matter how fastidious I am I end up replacing the chain about every 1200 miles, and the cassette about every 6 months.
Compulsive cross-chainer?
Old 04-16-17, 09:04 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by zimdba
Compulsive cross-chainer?
?? Do you have anything to add to the topic?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-16-17, 09:15 PM
zimdba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
?? Do you have anything to add to the topic?
Yes, I added that replacing chains & cassettes as frequently as ksryder is by no means typical of normal use or wear. Additionally, hoarding a pile of flammable materials is probably not a good idea. These things are much more valuable to the reader of this thread than your useless comment.
Old 04-17-17, 07:44 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by zimdba
Yes, I added that replacing chains & cassettes as frequently as ksryder is by no means typical of normal use or wear. Additionally, hoarding a pile of flammable materials is probably not a good idea. These things are much more valuable to the reader of this thread than your useless comment.
I must profusely apologize and beg your forgiveness that my tongue-in-cheek comment failed to meet your standards, oh wise one. Please educate me on the proper way to ride gravel even though there's no possible way you could gather any information about the gravel and/or weather I ride in based on a single comment. I eagerly await your enlightenment on the topic. I'm literally losing sleep over it. Please let me know if there is anything I can possibly do to meet your approval, it is extremely important to me.

If you prefer, we can discuss it at the starting line at the Dirty Kanza 200 this year. I'll line up with the 14-16 hour group, but I'm certain I'll see you in the 12 hour group.
Old 04-17-17, 08:27 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by ksryder
I must profusely apologize and beg your forgiveness that my tongue-in-cheek comment failed to meet your standards, oh wise one. Please educate me on the proper way to ride gravel even though there's no possible way you could gather any information about the gravel and/or weather I ride in based on a single comment. I eagerly await your enlightenment on the topic. I'm literally losing sleep over it. Please let me know if there is anything I can possibly do to meet your approval, it is extremely important to me.

If you prefer, we can discuss it at the starting line at the Dirty Kanza 200 this year. I'll line up with the 14-16 hour group, but I'm certain I'll see you in the 12 hour group.
Well said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.