Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tektro Mini V in silver

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-17, 06:42 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Tektro Mini V in silver

I'm going to ask this here, because the Tektro Mini Vs seem to be target at CX applications, and maybe some of you guys have these. I'm looking at the Tektro 926AL Mini V brakes in silver. I understand the Mini Vs can be used with standard short-pull brake levers. Every picture of these on the internet that I can find makes them look more like polished aluminum than a "silver" color. Shiny more than matte. If anyone has these in silver, I'd really appreciate a real world photograph...seems all I can find are the same sets of marketing photos repeated on every website where these are sold...

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-17, 01:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It will get dull looking in time, don't obsess over appearance.
Old 05-20-17, 04:16 PM
pmt
Experienced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the TRP 8.4 instead; it's a better brake with better parts, and you can choose colors or not.
Old 05-23-17, 01:43 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
Get the TRP 8.4 instead; it's a better brake with better parts, and you can choose colors or not.
I second that.
Old 05-23-17, 07:02 PM
hokiefyd 

Thanks guys. If I'm not mistaken, the TRP 8.4 set is well over 100 dollars, which is way outside my budget. I realize I never did say that I'm not using them for CX; they'll be going on an older Trek 750 hybrid to replace the cantilevers it had. For now, I've fitted a set of cheapy steel V-brakes and levers that I scavenged off a big box bike I parted out that I keep around for this type of thing, and I've proven the concept to myself (that I want V-brakes rather than cantilevers). As I have real V-brake levers, I don't necessarily need to stick to mini-v models, and can use full-size V-brake arms. I will probably use either Tektro or Shimano arms, paired with a set of Kool-Stop dual compound pads, in the long term.
Old 05-23-17, 08:08 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Tektro CR720 Cantis are another choice to consider in your price range, WAY better than old school cantis and would work with your old levers. I have these on an old Univega hybrid frame. They have considerable stopping power on descents and I'm a big guy. Just sayin'
Old 06-01-17, 01:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Just to close this loop, I got a complete set of Tektro RX-1s off eBay for less than $11 delivered to my house. Like most of Tektro's "silver" finishes, they seem to be a "dull chrome" in nature. I think Tektro calls it "silver anodized". The RX-1s are 85mm long and worked a treat on my Trek 750. Slim, low profile, and subtle. Just like me, except for the slim and low profile part...

The boots that came with them were way too long for my use (I like to run the arms rather tight to the tires), so they're bootless for now. I rarely ride in mud or rain, anyway, so the boots don't really do much for me.

I ended up using a set of Shimano ST-EF51 shift/brake levers on it, and they're designed for V brakes, so there's no problem with being able to set the brake pads far enough away from the rims to be able to squeeze these together to unhook the noodle. Longer arms would give me more leverage against the rim, but these stop the bike about as fast as I can manage, anyway, and I do like the low profile and clean appearance vs. a longer brake arm.

Old 06-01-17, 02:00 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Always nice to have an update - nice things, mini-V brakes, I have them on my modern CX rig and on my commuter, they´re great.
Old 06-03-17, 07:23 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I have those on my Charge Filter, work well enough and very non-spendy. They do feel better to me with a travel-agent on the front. Lets the brake have more clearance and a bit more authority in the grip. That's with Campy levers.

All in all, a good choice.