Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alternative Routes Keep Things Fresh...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 04:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts

Took an alternate route, then an alternate of that route which hooked up to an alternate of another route. Had some fun with another bike commuter, and less fun with another. It hit 96F but my new strategy of wearing sun sleeves and a neck shade and wetting them both really helped me keep my cool.
Old 07-20-18, 08:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
For some reason, I've been very resistant to taking alternate routes for the past four years. I think I have finally broken from that. Last night, I rode down to the Lower East Side (aka Loisaida) to have some arepas for dinner. I think I'll be doing more exploring from now on.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-20-18, 08:54 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
On my way in I tend to stick with a couple of different routes, but on the way home I've got almost a dozen different route variations depending on weather, time and desire. Today (Friday) the weather is gonna be gorgeous and I've got plenty of time so I'll be taking the long way along the SF Bay Trail.

-Kedosto
Old 07-21-18, 07:52 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I have several different commuting routes both to and from work depending on the amount of time that I have and my mood. It does break up any monotony that may develop from riding the identical route so often with the same objectives.
Old 07-21-18, 08:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Took an alternate route, then an alternate of that route which hooked up to an alternate of another route. Had some fun with another bike commuter, and less fun with another.

It hit 96F but my new strategy of wearing sun sleeves and a neck shade and wetting them both really helped me keep my cool.
Originally Posted by noglider
For some reason, I've been very resistant to taking alternate routes for the past four years. I think I have finally broken from that. Last night, I rode down to the Lower East Side (aka Loisaida) to have some arepas for dinner.

I think I'll be doing more exploring from now on
Originally Posted by Kedosto
On my way in I tend to stick with a couple of different routes, but on the way home I've got almost a dozen different route variations depending on weather, time and desire.

Today (Friday) the weather is gonna be gorgeous and I've got plenty of time so I'll be taking the long way along the SF Bay Trail.
I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons.

For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs……[However]
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things Ihad not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that just the lighting/ time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.” So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse
I’m going to add sounds, as well as sights and lights, to a prescription for boredom.
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Hah! In that case, don't forget smells. There are days...

rod
Excellent! I suppose we could add touch, such as the breeze, temperature sensitivity..
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-21-18 at 10:57 AM.