Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

2019 Specialized Sequoia or 2019 Salsa Journeyman Sora

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-20-19, 02:15 PM
stblindtiger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking at getting a new touring/gravel bike. I have been doing a lot of mixed road touring the last few summers and decided to step up from my old bike to a real gravel bike. I've taken a bunch of test rides on a ton of different bikes, and these two have stood out to me so far. The Journeyman is an aluminum frame and the Sequoia is a steel frame, so obviously it is a little heavier and slower off the start than the Journeyman, but the Sequoia has a wider range of gears which I like. The Sequoia has 2 chain rings on the crank as compared to just one on the Journeyman which I like for climbing. Both bikes are in my price range of around $1500. Both also have at least 2 front bosses on the forks which I also like. When we go touring, we usually stay in bnb's so we don't do a lot of bikepacking per say. I have a seat bag and frame bag that I use for tools/clothes/etc, so I prefer to have the two extra bottle cage mounts on the front forks. I do like to be fast though, so I'm a little worried about the weight of the Sequoia, but like I said, it has a bit more range in gears which I think might help it ride a bit faster than the Journeyman.

What are your preferences as far as Aluminum frame bikes go as compared to steel framed bikes?

What about Specialized as compared to Salsa? Do you prefer one brand over the other?

Is there another bike other than these two that you would prefer in that price range?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-19, 02:34 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
$1500? Touring/Gravel?

I'd get a Breezer Radar Pro. Underrated bike from an underrated company.

All three bikes are probably right around the same weight, 26 pounds. Salsa has kinda dumpy spec and the Specialized has typical brand-surcharge, Breezer has hydro, better wheels, better tires, better shifters, and probably a better frame. 26 pounds for a stock steel 700c bike with 45mm tires (Radar Pro) is pretty good at the $1500 price point. 26 pounds for a stock aluminum bike with 650b wheels (Journeyman) is kinda piggy. And I don't like Specialized so whatever to them.
Old 04-20-19, 02:39 PM
stblindtiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you mentioned that bike! I almost added the Breezer Radar into my original post as well, but I haven’t had a chance to ride one yet!
Old 04-21-19, 05:20 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
From what I've read the Sequoia is a rather heavy bike with heavy wheels.

Have you looked at the 2019 Fuji Jari 1.5 ? ($1300).
Only the two mid-fork mounts on both legs, however looking at the frame I'd say it would be more compliant than the Salsa. Lighter also.

10sp Tiagra with an FSA crank 46/30. 34t cassette.

Threaded bb, like on the Salsa.

What I would do though is spend that remaining $200 on switching out the Lyra brakes to Juin Tech R1, along with compressionless housing.
Old 04-21-19, 08:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
You asked for thoughts on specialized, so here is mine- I have yet to find a bike from specialized that i would want versus all other bikes in that category and price range.

Nothing from specialized has ever made me want to open my wallet.
But the same goes for trek and giant, so take it with a grain of salt.

I just don't find the bikes from the big 3 interesting or inspiring...especially specialized.
Old 04-21-19, 09:38 AM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
My wife has a Salsa Journeyman Apex 1 650b we bought last October. It's been the perfect bike. I liked the build for the money and its been very comfortable for her. Really, this choice came down to a few nit-picky things: a) it came stock with 650b x 2.2 wheels/tires, b) the LBS that deals Salsa is one I have bought other bikes from, c) the color of the bike was a plus for my wife (pink). If it were me personally, I'd prefer a steel frame over the aluminum frame if all other factors were equal due to the durability and ride quality. My personal preference would also be to go with Salsa over Specialized but I have no backing for that other than my own opinion. The Journeyman is a great bike and I'd buy it again.

Edit: If you could find a Salsa Fargo on Pinkbike/FB marketplace/Craigslist that would be a great bike! Steel frame touring 29er

Last edited by PumpedUpKicks; 04-21-19 at 09:41 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 04-23-19, 04:16 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I nearly bought the 2018 Sequoia Elite at a discounted end of season price but every single review I found included the word "Tank" .... I also found a couple of reviews of them on Specialized website that mentioned rust and as we live by the sea decided it probably wasn't a good idea.

Cannondale Topstone's might be worth a look as well.
Old 04-24-19, 12:52 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
That Breezer seems like a great deal. Hydro brakes, steel frame, 2x, not sure if it's 48/32 or 46/30 (both listed, both good), tubeless ready rims and great 45c tires, multiple mounts, threaded BB, 10-speed, 26.35lbs, for under $1,500? A little heavy, but sounds decent! Joe Breeze, for those who do not know, was one of the instrumental mountain bike founders in northern california back in the day.

I've seen the flat bar versions of the Journeyman while shopping for a friend. The joints on the aluminum tubing left something to be desired aesthetically. I get into details like that.

eric/fresno, ca.

btw, i ride a 2018 Norco Search XR, steel 105 with 2x, now riding 650b wheels. And loving it. Which reminds me, there's a 1x aluminum model too:
https://www.norco.com/bikes/dirt-dro...uminum-apex-1/

Last edited by ericzamora; 04-24-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 07:46 AM
HikeRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gravel bike

Thanks all who have posted on this thread. I too am looking for a gravel bike and have a tangential question. When do the end of the year sales come about?

I have a (10 to 15 year old) SPecialized Sequois Pro that I love on the paved road but please dont hold that against me.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 08-12-19, 02:53 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Have you ridden them? I think the Spec. Sequoia is incredibly comfortable, and great for what it was. Compared to a Crux (opposite end of the spectrum) it was super comfy - something I could ride all day long. But it took about 50% longer to accelerate. Not a problem when touring.

I love steel, but with good tires and a good seat post, aluminum can be pretty nice. I dont' know that it is specifically more comfortable, but its more like the frequency of vibrations is very well damped in steel, where its a bit more high strung. (the difference between a thump vs a twang!)
Old 08-29-19, 09:34 PM
kocour

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sequoia, 1980 Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Handsome Devil (from Minneapolis bike builder)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I have ridden a base model Specialized Sequoia for the last year and a half. It is very comfortable and great for long rides. It works well if you ride on gravel or off rode. It may be slow, but on long rides the comfort may be worth the loss of speed. I have done two century rides on mine and had no aches or pains afterwards. I have heard that Specialized has discontinued the Sequoia.